PDA

View Full Version : oil pump/pickup problems

kaos
25-04-2009, 22:13
little back ground:
engine is a 1.8 16v F7P
in a Volvo 340.

cam belt recently cam of due to the oil pump locking up:

oil pump pully will only turn between 12pm and 1pm.

so theres why the belt came off, now why would my oil pump go from working fine when i last drove it to siezing solid almost.

pulley shaft is fine, which then to me points to the pick up, but i cant strip the engine out yet. now were considering that as the oil does hit 106*C its possibly got hot when i drove it home and not properly cooled down which has warped the pick up shaft that connects to the pully shaft

Would i be right in thinking this?

i do have replacement pick up sourced and have a spare pulley shaft if nessesary from the 1.7 block or from the 2l F3R engine i have.

i'll be ordering an oil cooler to keep the oil temp down soon so when its fixed it should be safer along with all the guages wired up.

is there a better oil pick up and pulley system i can get?

Many thanks for the help.

MAXIBOY
25-04-2009, 22:25
not due to oil temp mate see them run 140 without issues..

either the pump or the pulley has failed..impossible to tell without a strip down..

kaos
25-04-2009, 22:55
strip down was commenced.

pulley off and pump shaft out which is fine no damage, which to me points at the pick up in the sump, which sorta means an engine out job untill i move in to my workshop in which case i'll just drop the entire front end.

MAXIBOY
25-04-2009, 23:03
sounds like pump failure

kaos
25-04-2009, 23:06
which part are you calling the pump?

just so were thinking on the same lines :)

anywhere i can get a new uprated race spec etc?

MAXIBOY
25-04-2009, 23:36
the pump is the oil pump fitted in the sump..bolted to the block with a pick up into the sump.

there is no upgraded pump available as far as i'm aware because they have never needed one..

there is a mod available to the pump if you intend to rev the engine above 8k on a regular basis..but is not needed very often..

thing is you need to find why it failed..as it may have also damaged the shells if run without oil..plus did i read the cambelt failed..this is very likely to have bent some valves..

kaos
25-04-2009, 23:48
engine is fine so far. i drove it home parked it up, went to fire it up a week later and found the cam belt of.

Whats this 8K RPM mod, i might just have to do it as th ecu has been fettled with.

its possible i supose that it didnt like being quite close to the bottom of the sump so i might have to bend the next one slightly. fact is, the saturday we left it idling all day. and it loved it, and no problems so i drive it back all of 24 hours later and it breaks. Just doesnt seem right, no one will have tampered with it either.

MAXIBOY
25-04-2009, 23:53
sounds odd...

engine won't do 8k safely on a standard bottom end..so its not needed really..

but would definitely be worth getting a baffled sump if your drifting the car..

i will look the mod up tomorrow and post it in here. and a baffled sump mod too..you can have these made..

kaos
26-04-2009, 00:03
yeh figured it shouldnt,

baffled sump will be happening but i dont run normal renault sump anyway so its more awkward, plus sump is for a RWD application.

I look forward to those bits of information though :)

i guess im just going to have to keep a stock of pumps with any luck.

col
26-04-2009, 08:00
lot of things goin on here, what sump are you using,, ally ,tin, and from what block......have you modified it, is it the volvo one ?

Maxis right ,if youve started up with loose cam belt ,youve probably bent some valves ......yes it will run .try a compression check.

regards col

MAXIBOY
26-04-2009, 11:45
yeh figured it shouldnt,

baffled sump will be happening but i dont run normal renault sump anyway so its more awkward, plus sump is for a RWD application.

I look forward to those bits of information though :)

i guess im just going to have to keep a stock of pumps with any luck.

can't see the pumps being a problem once you have a new one fitted..you can get baffles added to any sump though..

volymmannen
26-04-2009, 12:06
Use the baffel from the 2l F3R engine its way better than the f7p.
i too think that you bent some valves..

MAXIBOY
26-04-2009, 12:25
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e15/123maxiboy/cliokc5.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e15/123maxiboy/cliokc6.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e15/123maxiboy/cliokc7.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e15/123maxiboy/cliokc8.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e15/123maxiboy/File0009-1.jpg

there you go..

kaos
26-04-2009, 12:34
lot of things goin on here, what sump are you using,, ally ,tin, and from what block......have you modified it, is it the volvo one ?

Maxis right ,if youve started up with loose cam belt ,youve probably bent some valves ......yes it will run .try a compression check.

regards col

right, its a volvo sump as the sump holds an engine mount. non modified as it bolts on

Use the baffel from the 2l F3R engine its way better than the f7p.
i too think that you bent some valves..

no valves bent that we can tell, we have reset all the timing with no problems encountered.

baffle in the F3R? i do have one of those in the back of the van for some fettling, that if i must i will break for parts.

there you go..

Thank you :) i will have a read of all that in a while.