PDA

View Full Version : Fvck, fvck, fvck

Swervin_Mervin
06-07-2005, 17:58
Car went in to garage today for them to check the fan. They've had it on diagnostics and all is ok. They couldn't say whether the connector block to the fan switch was shagged, which was what I askde them to check.

They did inform me though that my coolant was mega low. It's gone somewhere and they can't find a leak. Shite. Could be head gasket on the way out.

I've got to monitor it.

Anyone know how serious a HG failure can be and how much it might be to have a new one fitted?

Is it easy to do oneself?

Quite frankly it's the last thing you want to happen 20 days before your first trackday! :evil:

J o n
06-07-2005, 18:00
cant remember how much my head gasket cost, but if you want i'll PM you the guy's number that I use in Warrington? they are super cheap there, they dont **** about or rip you off at all.

Swervin_Mervin
06-07-2005, 18:04
Might be an idea. Don't suppose you can dig out the price could you?

I can't understand it myself. It's run cool as since it had all new rad,fan, stat, switch, flush etc. Saturday was the first time the guage shot up. It didn't hit the red and no light was on but it was obviously hot. I wiggled the fan last night and it worked, which it wsn't doing on sat 'til I got parked p.

The only way the HG can have gone, as I see it, is after the brief overheat on sat. Can't have been hot enough for long enough can it?

Martin
06-07-2005, 18:16
Should be right..I had my old saxo go well into the red on the temp before I noticed did'nt do any harm..

J o n
06-07-2005, 18:16
it could be escaping as vapour if the expansion tank cap has a phuqt seal, I just spoke to Si for you as well. he said if the head has gone they will do all belt and fluid change (inc cam belt) and brand new metal head gasket guaranteed for £350 all in. if you want his number let me know bro

check for white shit in the filler cap too. tbh it should be okay, bit if your worried and want to change it i'd do it... from personal experience

Swervin_Mervin
06-07-2005, 18:25
Pass us the no. anyway matey. I've checked the cap everytime I've been topping up the oil and it's spotless. I just hope it's escaped elsewhere like you said.

I might speak to your man about a sump/subframe job later in the summer as well.

katbloke
06-07-2005, 21:21
If the water side of the head gasket has gone take off the oil filler cap and check for a mayonnaise looking substance ie water and oil mix goes white, failing that could be a duff hose duff thermostat, another check for headgasket could be to take out the spark plugs and spin engine over and see if water shoots outta plug holes, could even be an airlock which would force water out through expansion tank, start with the cheaper tests first, get a pressure tester on your cooling system this should find any leaks.

VIPERONE
06-07-2005, 23:01
usually a indication is high temperature running, and also loads of pressure in the coolant / header tank.. also strange engine sounds and loss of power

Slithers
06-07-2005, 23:40
and water in the oil is a sign

**IMPORTANT**

change the water pump too if you get the head changed

Slithers
06-07-2005, 23:42
it could be escaping as vapour if the expansion tank cap has a phuqt seal, I just spoke to Si for you as well. he said if the head has gone they will do all belt and fluid change (inc cam belt) and brand new metal head gasket guaranteed for £350 all in. if you want his number let me know bro

check for white shit in the filler cap too. tbh it should be okay, bit if your worried and want to change it i'd do it... from personal experience

You cant complain at £350.00

You might wanna consider getting a quote on a rebuild from, the portwood engine centre, quality ppl, rebuilt my 205 gti engine for 700 inc vat, that included head gasket, and all other gaskets, piston rings and liners, main bearings, big end bearings, cam belts, water pump, tensioners and pulleys all oil seals, full major service (excluding clutch) and decoke the head.

The place that did my head gasket on the valver charged me near £600 + vat in labour, i supplied the parts too :evil:

needless to say they made my list.........

Swervin_Mervin
07-07-2005, 09:49
There have been no other signs of any problems. No mayo, no hot running (up until sat it had never got over 1/2way on the coolant temp guage since last oct), no sign of any leaks.

I checked the water level last night and topped it up to where I can at least see it (header bottle mings) so I'll be monitoring it over the next couple of days.

kj16v
07-07-2005, 12:59
If there are no signs then its most likely not head gasket. Cuz when they go believe me you'll know! mayo in oil, sludge in header tank, loads of steam from the exhaust...