PDA

View Full Version : CO Potentio metre or CO Adjustment resistor

Nickysteveo
22-04-2009, 15:59
Hi I have an original Williams 1994, only done 48k. I had some analysis done on my car, because of a stuttering acceleration issue, and the computer came up with a problem with the CO Potentio metre (CO Adjustment resistor) . Renault say it will be either £100 or £200 for the part depending on the part number.
Thing is I have to take the part out to find what part no. it is.

Has anyone else had this problem, any advise ?
Is there cheaper places to get the part ?
Can it be reconditioned?

Cheers
Nick

Coops
22-04-2009, 16:30
its the red sensor attached to the side of the throttle body mate, get a second hand throttle body with the unit already attached to it from mat brown or similar on here

schakal
22-04-2009, 16:34
its the red sensor attached to the side of the throttle body mate, get a second hand throttle body with the unit already attached to it from mat brown or similar on here

are you sure on that ??
that description sounded like a lambda sensor to me :roll:

busterhymes
22-04-2009, 17:00
got both if u need them :wink:

Nickysteveo
22-04-2009, 18:12
thanks for replies

Not sure what type i need,

busterhymes would you know?

cliokiz
23-04-2009, 12:58
Borrow a lambda from someone and try that to see if the problem goes away. Don't forget to reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery.

Nickysteveo
29-04-2009, 13:40
Hi Coops
Renault also said the the CO Potentio metre is the red sensor attached to the side of the throttle body
But when we looked and took the thotle off all we could only find the throtle position meter.

Does anyone know where the CO Potentio metre could be located on my Willimas ?
The computer diagnostics deffinetly says my problem is due to the CO Potentio metre.

cheers
Nick

busterhymes
29-04-2009, 23:12
sorry nick not able to help on that one had a spare sensor and lambda but both sold now if u need the sensor i maybe able to get hold of one :)

MAXIBOY
29-04-2009, 23:58
sounds like the lambda sensor on the exhaust if not the throttle position meter..

that is the only one...on the throttle body side..

Nickysteveo
30-04-2009, 08:57
Sorry, I'm getting confussed.

What is the only thing on the side of the throtle body?
The potentiometer or the throtle position meter?

kenny
30-04-2009, 09:36
The one on the throttle body is commonly known as the throttle position sensor, (TPS), correct term being 'throttle position potentiometer'. believe fault code may be 'TP' Didn't think it was anything to do with C0 or its measurement. The one on the exhaust is commomly known as the 'Lambda sensor' correct term being 'Heated oxygen sensor'. believe fault code may be 'H02S'. Sorry this info still doesn't help, but you need the actual fault code, or for whoever ran the test to point to the component at fault. :(

Nickysteveo
30-04-2009, 11:48
Thanks for everyone’s replies.
:D
It looks like it boils down to being either the Throttle potentio meter or the Lambda sensor that is the cause of the problem. Does anyone have any spares of either of these for sale or know where I can get them without incurring the ridiculous prices of Renault. :?

cheers
Nick

Wobba
30-04-2009, 12:30
Dont pay Renault anything for either.

Get a genuine Bosch Lambda sensor, you can get Universal ones but I've heard they sometimes suck bad.

It is located on the downpipe, just before the catalytic converter. Getting the old one off may be a tough job though, they seize on solid due to rust and heat. They have a three pin plug socket attached usually. Just unclip that and the lambda mini-heatshield and undo...

The TPS, the red bit on the side of the throttle body...just get a 2nd hand throttle body with the TPS attached. These can be adjusted and if messed with can be a pain to set right again. The two little screws in the side can be loosened to adjust it, but personally I'd avoid touching it!

There are ported/polished TB's out there for sale too...gives a tiny bit of improved air induction if you can find one...

kenny
30-04-2009, 13:17
The TPS is the easiest thing to do but the dearest, the lambda is the cheapest but hardest. One thought though, check to see if the TPS is securely fixed and has not moved as it will when the throttle moves if not secure. It's only 2 screws and the body should not move.

MatBrown
01-05-2009, 19:38
Check the wires going to the TPS too.

Mat.