PDA

View Full Version : Cooling system

Wobba
18-04-2009, 00:51
I think I may have mentioned this before, but...

My Williams is running fine, with just a few niggles for a change.

One which is of slight concern is the cooling system. Temperatures remain fine, and after fixing the wiring on the radiator fan switch, is no longer going over the 2nd marker even after a hard run and sitting in traffic jams. Also, since replacing the core plug that some twat had drilled a hole in, replacing a split hose, and replacing a leaking water pump, and replacing a leaking header tank I don't have anything like as bad coolant loss.

I stuck some k-seal in the new header tank, which seems to have helped even more.

I still have an issue though. After each journey when I pop the hood the header cap is releasing coolant/pressure. I am onto my 3rd brown cap and have tried a blue topped high pressure cap as well, all giving the same results.

There is not much air getting into the system anymore, but I do have to bleed it every week or two and after that time, a fair amount of air comes out of the rad.

I've done a compression test on the cylinders and all are spot on at 160psi.

What I want to know is, could it be a gunked up coolant system causing this, meaning it's not circulating coolant well, and causing hot spots or just a leak somewhere? I am thinking of replacing the radiator and come coolant pipes and doing a major flush, but could it be something else?

katbloke
18-04-2009, 10:11
silly question, how olds the water pump? might be failing dunno

col
18-04-2009, 10:39
Head gasket....could be leaking to exhaust.......hows your oil cap........cappucino anyone?

No seriously i know exhausts blow a bit of water out but is yours excesive?

col

schakal
18-04-2009, 11:13
its either sucking in air from some part of the system or
one of the fire rings is leaking into the water system pressurising it .
in either case you are likely to get healthy compression test
results ,been there myself .

Richardcard1974
18-04-2009, 12:23
The blue caps are lower pressure.

schakal
18-04-2009, 13:25

FAIL !!! as usual :D

brown cap 1.2 bar , blue 1.6 bar
even laine would know that :wink:

Wobba
18-04-2009, 13:40
I don't get excessive mayo in the cap, though I do sometimes when I do daily runs of short distances. I think the better weather has meant less moisture in the atmosphere so it is better than it was!

What do you mean by fire rings?

Not noticed excessive water from exhaust tbh.

schakal
18-04-2009, 13:59
fire ring

http://www.secretsofspeed.com/R2P-GK-CU.GIF

you dont get oil and water mixing if thats the case ,so both compression
test and mayo cap checks will come out negative .
on the other hand the water pipes will have excessive pressure on them
caused by leaking compression .

when was the head gasket replaced last ?

Wobba
18-04-2009, 14:23
fire ring

http://www.secretsofspeed.com/R2P-GK-CU.GIF

you dont get oil and water mixing if thats the case ,so both compression
test and mayo cap checks will come out negative .
on the other hand the water pipes will have excessive pressure on them
caused by leaking compression .

when was the head gasket replaced last ?

Lol, yea, I thought that's what you meant. I don't think the HG has ever been done, and I have my doubts about it's integrity. It's a job I'd like to do for piece of mind, but time and effort are required for it and I don't have the time right now. It's running ok though, so it can't be too bad if that's what it is!

Richardcard1974
19-04-2009, 00:11

I think you are following forum whispers, Those figures are not correct.

Richardcard1974
19-04-2009, 00:17

One which is of slight concern is the cooling system. Temperatures remain fine, and after fixing the wiring on the radiator fan switch, is no longer going over the 2nd marker even after a hard run and sitting in traffic jams. Also, since replacing the core plug that some t**t had drilled a hole in, replacing a split hose, and replacing a leaking water pump, and replacing a leaking header tank I don't have anything like as bad coolant loss.

I stuck some k-seal in the new header tank, which seems to have helped even more.

I still have an issue though. After each journey when I pop the hood the header cap is releasing coolant/pressure. I am onto my 3rd brown cap and have tried a blue topped high pressure cap as well, all giving the same results.

There is not much air getting into the system anymore, but I do have to bleed it every week or two and after that time, a fair amount of air comes out of the rad.

What I want to know is, could it be a gunked up coolant system causing this, meaning it's not circulating coolant well, and causing hot spots or just a leak somewhere? I am thinking of replacing the radiator and come coolant pipes and doing a major flush, but could it be something else?

I had this problem and it was just an air lock.

Richardcard1974
19-04-2009, 00:30

Here you go.

BROWN. 1.4 PSI

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=bg&u=http://www.ateambg.com/index.php%3Fm%3D320%26lang%3D1%26category%3D15%26p c%3D201%26dom%3D15%26prodid%3D6176&ei=gWHqSbr1HIKZjAfaw_CeCg&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3D7700760508%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26start %3D10

Apology accepted.

Richardcard1974
19-04-2009, 00:34

And again

1.4 Brown

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=bg&u=http://www.stokibg.com/index.php%3Fm%3D320%26lang%3D1%26stoki_category%3D 40515%26stoki_firm%3D15%26stoki_product%3D6176&ei=HGPqSfnNLNyRjAfbroX3Aw&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=6&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3D7704001606%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG

Richardcard1974
19-04-2009, 00:36
Bars not PSI :wink:

Richardcard1974
19-04-2009, 00:38
Brown 1.4 bar
Blue 0.7 bar
Green 1.2 bar
Black 1.0 bar

http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:zGQk_XpVbmMJ:www.3rgindustrial.com/VARIOS%2520CAUCHO%2520NACIONAL.pdf+7704001606&cd=9&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

Like i said blue is lower pressure.

schakal
19-04-2009, 00:51
you are wrong as usual ,those caps are not genuine renault
they are also fitted to other european cars etc . i thought as a fountain
of knowledge you would have known that :?

dont be a tight arse pikey and get yourself a haynes manual .
all you need to know is there in black and white .
if you struggle and have a serious question ,post on the forum and
we will try to enlighten you ,apart from that please dont waste my time here :wink:

:D

summeh
19-04-2009, 02:08
Dan I'm sure some garages have some equipment they use for testing HG failure INTO the coolant system. IIRC one of them is a dye or some such they put into the system. I think even gunson do a kit that used to be available at halfrauds... worth a try perhaps.

col
19-04-2009, 08:47
I really like where this is going!! :lol:

Richardcard1974
19-04-2009, 19:19

we will try to enlighten you ,apart from that please dont waste my time here :wink:

Haynes manual is wrong mate, i checked with renault when chris h came out with all this shit.

schakal
19-04-2009, 21:05

Haynes manual is wrong mate, i checked with renault when chris h came out with all this s**t.

hmmm , your word against haynes .
this is gonna be a tough one :D

Matty86
20-04-2009, 02:12
hey Rob, check out Renault's own notes on the coolant system - 2675A (77 11 191 574) - which I've kindly uploaded for you...

Plastic valve
brown : 1.2 bars.
blue : 1.6 bars

schakal
20-04-2009, 07:49
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a54/Jeebuspotpie/ownage.jpg

FOOKIN EPIC !!!! :D :D :D

LEIGH-ANNE
20-04-2009, 13:52
:-#

:winkey:

Richardcard1974
20-04-2009, 19:06
No, you are WRONG. Firstly if you take them apart you cab SEE that the spring in the brown capped item is longer and has more coils than the blue item. Push the spring and its firmer. Secondly if you hold them to your mouth and blow, you can feel that the blue cap is easier to blow through. Thirdly i checked with renault and they said the brown item is 1.4 bar.

I suggest you are looking at a superceded part and these are new values. The brown caps on all my cars are definately a higher value than the blue cap that came off my cup race car. In fact if i run the blue cap on the williams i can hear the ait gassing through the valve, if i run a bron cap i get no gassing.

The brown cap is a high pressure rating.

Richardcard1974
20-04-2009, 19:17
Part number of the cap used on the group a cars and on my cup car.

Here is a company selling the cap rated at 1.2 bar.

https://ssl1206.websiteseguro.com/tampcar1/produtos_descricao.asp?lang=pt_BR&codigo_produto=5

The brown is 1.4 bar.

Richardcard1974
20-04-2009, 19:31
Again:

Brown 1.4, Blue 1.2

Brown > blue

You get it yet?

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=it&u=http://88.149.200.206/miracat/miracat.asp%3Fcodice_mira%3D%26codice_oem%3D%26lis ta_marche%3D%26veicolo%3D%26categoria%3D12%26descr izione%3D%26giorno%3D%26mese%3D%26anno%3D%26giorno _a%3D%26mese_a%3D%26anno_a%3D%26invia%3DRicerca%26 mostra_img%3D1&ei=Ir_sSdLZBoeUjAfqlIWbCg&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=3&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3D7700805032%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26start %3D40

Matty86
20-04-2009, 19:59
my source > your source

until you can show me something other than a random website, i'll assume you're talking shit as usual

summeh
20-04-2009, 20:09
:lol:

Nice solid proof there matty. :wink:

schakal
20-04-2009, 20:09
blowing through caps with your uber sensitive lips to determine
pressure ratings ??

i can only lol @ you rob ,grow up ffs .

Richardcard1974
20-04-2009, 20:43

Its not proof, its called evidence. You might think id know about gathering evidence, being a scientist. Are you?

Richardcard1974
20-04-2009, 20:44
my source > your source

until you can show me something other than a random website, i'll assume you're talking s**t as usual

Unless you can show me somthing other than a random download then ill assume YOU'RE talking shit as usual.

Richardcard1974
20-04-2009, 20:45
blowing through caps with your uber sensitive lips to determine
pressure ratings ??

i can only lol @ you rob ,grow up ffs .

If you had two objects of different weight and had no scales but wanted to determine which was heavier would you not pick them up, one in each hand and hold them?

Come on stop being a sheep and use your brain for once.

summeh
20-04-2009, 21:00

Its not proof, its called evidence. You might think id know about gathering evidence, being a scientist. Are you?

Actually, yes 8)

Matty86
20-04-2009, 21:06
haha, flailing around

it's not a random download, its a Renault technical document.. go in to reno and ask nicely to see it. It even has the renault part number and document reference on it for further 'evidence' ;). On that basis, i'd consider it more highly than some russian website run through a translator.

and on the subject of scientific methods, you can blow 1.6bar? though I guess you have practice from all the hot air that comes out of your mouth :lol: does having 18" arms help? :lol:

D- 'Could do better'

Richardcard1974
20-04-2009, 23:25
haha, flailing around

it's not a random download, its a Renault technical document.. go in to reno and ask nicely to see it. It even has the renault part number and document reference on it for further 'evidence' ;). On that basis, i'd consider it more highly than some russian website run through a translator.

and on the subject of scientific methods, you can blow 1.6bar? though I guess you have practice from all the hot air that comes out of your mouth :lol: does having 18" arms help? :lol:

D- 'Could do better'

And renault are never wrong, and never change parts?

Check the original williams oil filter membrane pore size against the superceding part number. They are different. They give different oil pressures. Things change mate.

You are obviously new to this game. PM me if you need advice.

Richardcard1974
20-04-2009, 23:27
haha, flailing around

D- 'Could do better'

You seem obsessed with my arms. If you need training tips its £60 an hour.

Matty86
20-04-2009, 23:35
You might think id know about gathering evidence, being a scientist.

Sports science doesn't count :lol:

Matty86
20-04-2009, 23:36
You seem obsessed with my arms. If you need training tips its £60 an hour.

you bring up a lol comment like that, of course you're gonna get the piss taken :D

Matty86
20-04-2009, 23:45

Check the original williams oil filter membrane pore size against the superceding part number. They are different. They give different oil pressures. Things change mate.

well obviously they change parts, but in the case of the pressure cap, do you think they'd confuse things by changing the ratings of existing colours, or simply use a new colour. why don't they just use brown for all the ratings?

have you got any evidence of them changing the ratings?

bbaazz-08
21-04-2009, 00:14
back to the point.......wobba did you not get a sniff test(gas analyser) done yet?.........this will defo tell you if its exhaust gas leaking in

Richardcard1974
21-04-2009, 09:04

well obviously they change parts, but in the case of the pressure cap, do you think they'd confuse things by changing the ratings of existing colours, or simply use a new colour. why don't they just use brown for all the ratings?

have you got any evidence of them changing the ratings?

Do you have any evidence they havnt changed the rating? They change other importnan things why not the caps?

harvythehippo
21-04-2009, 10:12
This thread is absoulutely brilliant! please keep it up for amusements sake. :D

Wobba
21-04-2009, 10:18
back to the point.......wobba did you not get a sniff test(gas analyser) done yet?.........this will defo tell you if its exhaust gas leaking in

Not yet no.

I'll see if my garage can do it...

Wobba
21-04-2009, 10:21

One which is of slight concern is the cooling system. Temperatures remain fine, and after fixing the wiring on the radiator fan switch, is no longer going over the 2nd marker even after a hard run and sitting in traffic jams. Also, since replacing the core plug that some t**t had drilled a hole in, replacing a split hose, and replacing a leaking water pump, and replacing a leaking header tank I don't have anything like as bad coolant loss.

Be great if it was just an air lock hehe!

Matty86
21-04-2009, 10:31
Do you have any evidence they havnt changed the rating? They change other importnan things why not the caps?

the technical notes would state if there was an older system too ;)

schakal
21-04-2009, 13:31
lol he is trolling people ,dont feed him anymore attention
and he shall disappear .

fair play to him though ,he got a few fan bois on c16yo.co.uk :D

Richardcard1974
21-04-2009, 14:03

Be great if it was just an air lock hehe!

Just try to bleed the system very well.

col
21-04-2009, 19:03
Yea as Wobba wrote could be a air blockage,a couple of tricks i tried on me r5....was to drain the header tank only raise it as high as you can an refill....the other is to remove one of heater hoses an blow downit...(give it blow job) :D ....but it does work!

Wobba
22-04-2009, 12:04
Yea as Wobba wrote could be a air blockage,a couple of tricks i tried on me r5....was to drain the header tank only raise it as high as you can an refill....the other is to remove one of heater hoses an blow downit...(give it blow job) :D ....but it does work!

Yea I was thinking of making a kind of plunger which gives a vacuum effect to shift any shite in the system before a full coolant flush.