PDA

View Full Version : One job leads to another

col
12-04-2009, 19:34
Quite a nice day,so decided to replace h/brake cables.....axle stands wheels off......remove brake calipers?..........well they needed a clean.....removed discs....theres always one bloody bearing thats been put on by the HULK.......cleaned discs up but need new pads an BEARINGS......oh sh..t.......cables easy to replace......still on axle stands.........awaitng motor factors in mornin.

Justin..
12-04-2009, 21:38
hate to say this but i doubt they'll be open its a bank hols :?

stevefesta
12-04-2009, 22:45
How hard are the rear bearings to change, as I think one of mine has had it!!! May end up the same as you as the pads will probably need doing at the same time..........

1995clio16v
12-04-2009, 23:52
How hard are the rear bearings to change, as I think one of mine has had it!!! May end up the same as you as the pads will probably need doing at the same time..........

Just buy a new disc, save yourself the hassle IMO...

stevefesta
12-04-2009, 23:55

Just buy a new disc, save yourself the hassle IMO...

That sounds good to me :) I am used to doing bearings on the back of my Fiesta with lovely drums
Any recomendations for rear disks and pads???

bradders
13-04-2009, 00:43
funny you say "one thing leads to another".

after jacking my car up on axle stands to change the oil, i poodle on down the road to notice a sodding petrol leak! call RAC and they change the split pipe. my first week of ownership has been a nightmare!

col
13-04-2009, 10:30
Cheers Justin...doh!

Bradders.......it dont half! best of luck.. :lol:

Steve, I done em on the r5....pressed em out with socket an vice.but pushing in used gentle tapping with socket an a careful eye. 8)

MatrixGuy
13-04-2009, 17:05
I really need to change my rear discs and calipers. Look like bottom of Titanic :oops:

LEIGH-ANNE
16-04-2009, 12:37
](*,)

Oh dears.....all done now i take it?

Coops
16-04-2009, 14:54
rear bearings are a piece of proverbial wee wee, best off with new discs and pads aswell tho, do the lot and free off any sticky calipers etc!

just done the turbos, was around 80 quid i think for all the parts then fitting took about hour or so inc pressing in bearings etc

col
16-04-2009, 17:52
Cause i work in engineering i linished the discs myself, checked em with micrometer an vernier...plenty of life left in em yet (still above tollerance)

Im not into replacing with new everytime if theres life in usable parts.

......Probably its the miser in me dont get me wrong , pads ,bearings ,etc..replace with new :)