PDA

View Full Version : Feelsdown on power

Wobba
09-04-2009, 08:58
Since doing my tappets and cambelt the car is smooth and noiseless. It also feels down on power, like a brake is stuck. When using engine braking it feels quicker to slow down and a bit more lethargic.

Could an overtight cambelt be too blame?

I also had a major hard time getting the teeth lined up when timing the engine. If it was out by one tooth would it give a noticeable power drop? The crank pulley mark was at the bottom, but one of the cam pulleys kept pushing itself out by one cog. I had to jam the bastard in place in the end. Pretty sure I got it right.

Any suggestions?

Justin..
09-04-2009, 09:38
have you checked the timing?

Wobba
09-04-2009, 09:52
I cranked it over by hand a lot. I know eventually it is supposed to match up on the cams and crank pulley, but I got bored after 30 minutes turning it over.

I guess I have to check again :(

Coops
09-04-2009, 10:38
if the lines on the belt lined up with all 3 lines on the crank pulley and 2 cam pulleys and the marks lined up again with the marks on cam cover then its correct mate

overtight cambelt wouldnt cause noticeable lack of grunt, but it would wine like a goodun as revs increased. did that on my first cambelt change on the old valver, had to slacken it off again :roll: :lol:

Wobba
09-04-2009, 11:33
Maybe car just needs a good thrashing then! I've been a bit gay with it driving-wise lately.

kneesparks
09-04-2009, 15:38
Do a comp test mate, maybe the new tappets are keepin the valves open ever so slightly?

J o n
09-04-2009, 15:52
this sounds like it is almost certainly cam timing related, as it has a huge effect on power, just ask Dan at GDI!!!

Wobba
09-04-2009, 18:06
I think I had best check it over again. I did think about tappets but pretty sure they are ok.

summeh
09-04-2009, 22:50
i think you just need to stop worrying like a pansy and thrash the tits off the poor car. if you can't bring yourself to do that then let me have a go for you. If you drive like a granny then that engine is going to perform like a granny :wink:

LEIGH-ANNE
10-04-2009, 14:42
i think you just need to stop worrying like a pansy and thrash the tits off the poor car. if you can't bring yourself to do that then let me have a go for you. If you drive like a granny then that engine is going to perform like a granny :wink:

Yea wot he said, tbh i cant believe u have this many problems with ur car.... Most of it must be in ur head mate... :wink:

summeh
10-04-2009, 19:36

Yea wot he said, tbh i cant believe u have this many problems with ur car.... Most of it must be in ur head mate... :wink:

Aye! lol, just tie a brick to your right foot.