PDA

View Full Version : coolant drain plug myth

vkosho
08-04-2009, 02:18
Does my williams 1 have a coolant drain plug? I cant find it and read that some engines do and some dont. Do i have to be under the car to find this mythical plug because i can't see it anywhere. Is it under the exhaust manifold towards the cam belt end as the haynes suggests??

If it doesn't then which hoses are best to flush out to achieve full flushing as im trying to convert back to cat d because the previous owner cheaped out.

Also when i bleed my system with the heaters on do i want my expansion cap on or off or does it matter? Possibly a daft question but ive heard both.

Cheers for your help again guys. Hope to contribute sometime!

Richardcard1974
08-04-2009, 11:17
There is no drain plug. The best hose to remove is the drivers side lower radiator hose. Empty the coolant then fill with water and run the engine. The flush again. Do this twice as its very difficult to get all the coolant out and you dont want to contaminate your new type d with residual coolant from the last fill, but a bit of mixing with water would be ok.

Coops
08-04-2009, 11:59
or once u have drained it, remove the header tank and use the 2 large bottom hoses, pop hose into one and run till the water comes out the other clear, then vice versa. repeat till all the sludge and old coolant is gone. drain again and refil with the new stuff

i bleed with the header tank cap off and the rad bleed screw out

MAXIBOY
08-04-2009, 15:23
mine has a coolant drain plug..

its as suggested on mine.

on the back of the block around the point the oil pressure switch and allows you to drain and flush the block..

its usually an 11mm headed taper section plug that screws into the water cooling jacket of the block..

Coops
08-04-2009, 15:58
so thats like an engine rather than full system drain then i spose? more useful when the engines out the car and needs draining fully maybe?

MAXIBOY
08-04-2009, 18:47
useful for in the car head gasket changes etc too as drains the block down
and useful for flushing the block through

vkosho
10-04-2009, 01:52
Is yours a williams 1 maxiboy? If so then mine must also have a drain plug.

Im guessing if i just run it through with water a couple of times then it doesnt matter if i remove it or not. Which would be the bottom 2 pipes?

MAXIBOY
10-04-2009, 13:40
mines an early 1.8 j reg..

but seen them on a few engines..

the lower radiator hoses

vkosho
10-04-2009, 20:30
mine only has one lower rad hose. If i disconnect this should that be enough?

cheers mate!

Justin..
10-04-2009, 20:44
should be plenty, run water through till its clear!

also, disconnect one of the heater matrix feed pipes on the bulkhead. this will be holding alot of shite aswell :)

number1
11-04-2009, 21:02
all of mine have had the bolt on the back of the block.. Never used it though, you need rad out to do Headgasket change so the bottom hose always gets pulled first :)

vkosho
13-04-2009, 01:41
cool, cheers guys

schakal
13-04-2009, 08:17
all f7p s i had and the megane f7r b/e has the drain plug cant see
why williams one would not .

like maxi said with the head off ,its good for getting rid of deposited crap on the walls and the bottom of the water ways in your block , very fiddley job
mind :?