PDA

View Full Version : First Drive - I Love My Williams

stevefesta
07-04-2009, 08:42
Drove my Williams properly for the first time last night and then to work this morning, I LOVE it :)
The engine pulls nice and strong, getting better as it gets all the way round the rev counter, I didn’t real feel any drop in power till it was at the limiter (which I hit a couple of times without intending too as it was just reving sweetly). The front wheels seemed a bit prone to spinning up when going from a standing start, but it was raining and I know the tyres are not new. So these are on the change list. Should I stay 185 55 or go to 195 50??
Couldn’t test the handling too much as it was wet country lanes and I think the headlight bulbs may have been replaced with candles as some point!!!! So some upgrade investigation required here.
Seats are really comfy with good support (still finding the perfect driving position), gear change is OK for the mileage but has got a bit of slop in! Brakes stop nice and straight, seem pretty sharp too.
Couple of bad points, need to change the awful pedal covers, which are huge and don’t add anything to the driving experience. The stereo does not sound great and the interior needs a REALLY good clean, a couple of bulbs in switches have blown and the throttle is sticking very slightly.
Then one thing I can’t decide on is the exhaust, haven’t a clue on the make but it is very loud, which is fun but then gets a bit tiring on the motorway, especially when the stereo is pants!!! These really don’t put me off the car at all though, and it is a very positive start to Williams owning and driving :)

DaneC
07-04-2009, 11:34
Drove my Williams properly for the first time last night and then to work this morning, I LOVE it :)
The engine pulls nice and strong, getting better as it gets all the way round the rev counter, I didn’t real feel any drop in power till it was at the limiter (which I hit a couple of times without intending too as it was just reving sweetly). The front wheels seemed a bit prone to spinning up when going from a standing start, but it was raining and I know the tyres are not new. So these are on the change list. Should I stay 185 55 or go to 195 50??
Couldn’t test the handling too much as it was wet country lanes and I think the headlight bulbs may have been replaced with candles as some point!!!! So some upgrade investigation required here.
Seats are really comfy with good support (still finding the perfect driving position), gear change is OK for the mileage but has got a bit of slop in! Brakes stop nice and straight, seem pretty sharp too.
Couple of bad points, need to change the awful pedal covers, which are huge and don’t add anything to the driving experience. The stereo does not sound great and the interior needs a REALLY good clean, a couple of bulbs in switches have blown and the throttle is sticking very slightly.
Then one thing I can’t decide on is the exhaust, haven’t a clue on the make but it is very loud, which is fun but then gets a bit tiring on the motorway, especially when the stereo is pants!!! These really don’t put me off the car at all though, and it is a very positive start to Williams owning and driving :)

The wheels will spin in first whatever the weather if you thrash it, they do in my Valver let alone a Williams! 185 55 if you like originality, or 195 50 if you wanna save some money! And Osram Nightbreaker bulbs are a good upgrade, £13 on ebay I think.

MAXIBOY
07-04-2009, 12:36
yeah bulbs and even headlights need changing sometimes...

and there never great then..some upgrade to hids..

might get a few versions too.

what the limiter set at now... :? can raise it a little..

post a pic of the exhaust and someone will identify it i'm sure.. :D

then we can tell you how load it is compared to standard..

Wobba
07-04-2009, 14:00
Excellent! Yea they will wheelspin in the wet easily hehe.

Glad you like it, they are cracking little cars :D

kneesparks
07-04-2009, 18:51
I put some "show use only" bulbs in my car as the dipped is 80w and full is 100w, think std ones are 35/50w. I can see very well at night now :wink:
As for dash lights and switches not working I just went to a scap yard and took loads of lil bulbs out of a Laguna clocks, now every light works on the car. 8)

Wobba
07-04-2009, 21:42
The bulbs in the actual switches can be a right pain, I messed up one of mine and ended up having to get an entire switch...

stevefesta
08-04-2009, 11:57
Thanks for the tips on bulbs, will look into something over easter holiday :)
Will get pics of the exhaust at some point, found a reciept for a magnex one in the documents, but can't see any markings on the actual exhaust.

As for the limiter, haven't a clue. I wasn't looking at dials close enough when it cut in to know. What should it be standard?

Took one of my friends out last night and he things there may be an engine mount gone / going!! and the alarm went of in the middle of the night! Don't think it liked the wind.

kneesparks
08-04-2009, 17:03
Std limmiter is at 6500 on the red line, it hits like driving into a bloody wall. I now have a gunner chip set to 7200 ish in come in softly its soooo much nicer, not that I rev it that hard I just change around 7000 now. :driving: :gears:

MatrixGuy
08-04-2009, 17:48
How do you replace the bulbs in the switches Wobba?

The bulb in my rear screen di-mister switch has gone :?

Daz.
08-04-2009, 19:08
stick with 185's all day long.

stevefesta
09-04-2009, 07:35
Std limmiter is at 6500 on the red line, it hits like driving into a bloody wall. I now have a gunner chip set to 7200 ish in come in softly its soooo much nicer, not that I rev it that hard I just change around 7000 now. :driving: :gears:

It does cut in very hard very muck like driving into a wall!!!, so would say it is the standard limiter. The chip sounds good, but trying to avoid modifying this car. Can a standard engine take the rasied rev limit without any bother?

stick with 185's all day long.

I would like to for originality but is there any other benefits??

Daz.
09-04-2009, 07:54
God knows how many debates there are on this but 195's kill one of the best parts of the willy experience in my opinion, for me the feedback the taller tyre gives is much more progressive than the 195's, 195 is grip grip grip gone - 185 is grip grip grip i'm going i'm nearly gone i'm gone. Expect more tramlining on 195's too.

Tbh if people are to cheap to spend £20 a corner extra for 185's they bought the wrong car.

katbloke
09-04-2009, 09:30
hmmmm i have 2 dash bulbs gone, the oil temp and exterior temp

Jamie.
09-04-2009, 09:54
I prefered 195/45's tbh.

End of the day its personal preference and the way you like a car to handle.

What I didnt like about 185's was the car felt less planted and you could push it harder but the car felt more on edge - i didnt like that.

kneesparks
09-04-2009, 13:40
Real easy these ones. Take the top dash off, undo the centre screws where the oil tep dials are, unplug, look on the back there are some lil black bulb carriers 1/4 turn click out the ones that dont work & replace 8)

I prefered 195/45's tbh.

What I didnt like about 185's was the car felt less planted and you could push it harder but the car felt more on edge - i didnt like that.
I like the 195 also I find they grip nice and slide nice, esp on the Yokie spec 2's im usin :D

FATBOY
09-04-2009, 18:09
Will get pics of the exhaust at some point, found a reciept for a magnex one in the documents, but can't see any markings on the actual exhaust.

As for the limiter, haven't a clue. I wasn't looking at dials close enough when it cut in to know. What should it be standard?

Took one of my friends out last night and he things there may be an engine mount gone / going!! and the alarm went of in the middle of the night! Don't think it liked the wind.

is it the standard cobra???? if so then after 15 years odd could be time for a replacement, if it keeps playing up.

stevefesta
12-04-2009, 22:33

is it the standard cobra???? if so then after 15 years odd could be time for a replacement, if it keeps playing up.

I assume it is the standard original one, as it has renault cobra on the manual!! Has stopped playing up now, so fingers crossed won't need to fork out for a replacment yet :)

big hp
16-04-2009, 08:40
on the back box does it have a little square plate welded on botton with a few numbers in it?

Normally a magnex code.

LEIGH-ANNE
16-04-2009, 12:43
Everything i was gona say has already been added

Agree with Kneesparks in regards to the limiter, mines exactly the same. Same with Daz on tyres and fatboy on the alarm front!

col
16-04-2009, 18:19
I dont agree with daz on tyres,.........all tyres are a compromise...whatever your wallet can stand....we dont all have bottomless pits of money ...so enough of the sweeping statements thank you....especially in these trying times..... [-X

Daz.
16-04-2009, 18:47
Disagree with your disagree!

Would you buy £10 remoulds with 2 mm of tread just because they're cheaper in these 'hard' times?

col
16-04-2009, 19:07
Well i see you are going to extremes,......"remoulds".......where we going with this i was talkin about tyre size.......195 to 185..an as i said its what some peoplewant (ie me) for what i pay.

I still stand by what i said tyres are a compromise im not sayin 185 are better or worse , but for what i want, fast dry tyre average in wet i reckon ive got the right tyre!

"should have bought a different car."....bollocks..!

16v_paddy
16-04-2009, 19:21
Everything i was gona say has already been added

Agree with Kneesparks in regards to the limiter, mines exactly the same. Same with Daz on tyres and fatboy on the alarm front!

Where the hell did you find parada's in 185/55 profile then? :?

Daz.
16-04-2009, 23:22
Well i see you are going to extremes,......"remoulds".......where we going with this i was talkin about tyre size.......195 to 185..an as i said its what some peoplewant (ie me) for what i pay.

I still stand by what i said tyres are a compromise im not sayin 185 are better or worse , but for what i want, fast dry tyre average in wet i reckon ive got the right tyre!

"should have bought a different car."....bollocks..!

I was merely pointing out I personally think cheaping out on tyres is a bad thing, whether someone wants to choose a different tyre size is up to them I was just pointing out to a new williams owner if he wants the original feeling of the car he needs to stick with 185's, if he wants to save money and isn't bothered about the suprising difference in road driving then by all means try 195's...

I'm trying to asnwer his question from long standing experience.

Regarding the 'bollocks' of the car, we all know these things eat your money, if spending £20 a corner extra is a scary thought then your not going to be happy with some of the other costs that empty your wallet!

Daz.
16-04-2009, 23:26
damn missed it out! :shock:

You say tyres are a compromise? never to me, I don't care what you drive or how expensive your car is or isn't the only thing that touches the road on any car bike van quad is a set of tyres - for me there is nothing more important than getting decent rubber.

My preference of course but steve seems to be clued up :D

col
17-04-2009, 07:39
I worked at "goodyear TYRES"........an tyres are a compromise.....why do racing drivers use different compounds?.............etc...slicks wets inters....

You just pick the best for the situation your in!

And to tell people what they should or should not drive is not your concern......an opinion you should keep to yourself!

Daz.
17-04-2009, 13:36
I worked at "goodyear TYRES"........an tyres are a compromise.....why do racing drivers use different compounds?.............etc...slicks wets inters....

You just pick the best for the situation your in!

And to tell people what they should or should not drive is not your concern......an opinion you should keep to yourself!

Well we'll have to agree to disagree on this and give the man his topic back.

Theres so many threads about this its unreal - steve can do a search and make his own mind up.

Wobba
17-04-2009, 13:52
How do you replace the bulbs in the switches Wobba?

The bulb in my rear screen di-mister switch has gone :?

You prise the switch out, unplug it, gently ease the top cover off and it should expose a tiny bulb. Be careful, if you mess up the switch mechanism it's a bitch to get back in.

sooty666
17-04-2009, 16:45
had 185/55 for nearly 4 years, moved to 195/50 6 months ago and love them.. and alot harder to f**k your rims up

stevefesta
20-04-2009, 09:01
Nice to hear a couple of opinions on tyres lol

After a few more drives, including the cat and fiddle, I can't fault the 185's, but can't actually compare them to 195's (except on other cars). Think I will probably trust the renault development people and stay with 185's, especially as I don't think I will be using the Williams everyday.

Would love to raise the limiter - are the standard internals OK when this is done??

MAXIBOY
20-04-2009, 11:15
yeah up to 7200/7300 with a softer cut...

if not using everyday for comfort i would try 195's as they offer more grip in my opinion..

katbloke
20-04-2009, 18:02
Real easy these ones. Take the top dash off, undo the centre screws where the oil tep dials are, unplug, look on the back there are some lil black bulb carriers 1/4 turn click out the ones that dont work & replace 8)

I prefered 195/45's tbh.

I like the 195 also I find they grip nice and slide nice, esp on the Yokie spec 2's im usin :D

katbloke
20-04-2009, 18:03
bugger that didnt work lol