PDA

View Full Version : Rear Brake Compensator - Bias Valve - Same Thing?????

matty
06-04-2009, 08:18
Just checking the bias valve is the same as compensator as it seems on the rear brake thread both get mentioned.

Car faile don rear parking brake efficiency last year and pads were worn down like rears were locking on. Calipers were quite new so replaced pads and handbrake cables and got through.

Now rear brake and parking efficieny are below pass level this year and rears and nearly worn again so rather than keep on replacing calipers and pads I believe the bias valve is the culprit seeing as others have had same problems.

Is the bias valave the same as the compensator?

busterhymes
06-04-2009, 08:41
yes ur right also called the load sensitive pressure regulating valve just to confuse matters and its mounted above the rear axle easy to spot as maybe u know as its the unit with all the brake lines going to and from it you may have a seized or partially seized unit which looking from the rear you will see a plate with an adjustable rod passing thru it try moving the plate if its seized lather it in releasing oil where it pivots taking care not to get it over an exposed seals on the actual unit as it can sometimes cause the material of the seal/boot to degrade then just work it till nice and free, if its free moving already then u need to look at whether the actual valve is faulty or on the off chance u have lowered the car that the valve is adjusted correctly for the change in ride height hope this goes a little way to solving ur problem have fun :) :)

matty
06-04-2009, 09:57
Thanks.

matty
06-04-2009, 10:17
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=400040356165

I found this on ebay which I thought woudl be the correct part at much cheaper than Renault but on phoning them up they say it isn't and the only part is Renault part number 7700840562. I would have thought if this was for a Williams then it would fit but the dates for model year seem inconsistent with a Williams as I thought they came out in L Reg so 92-93.

busterhymes
06-04-2009, 10:51
very similar m8 body of unit is different i know the unit is not cheap looking bout £100 give or take have u check whether arm is seized or not could be simple as that

matty
06-04-2009, 11:30
Due to problems and checks last year I am just going to replace as do not want to keep checking it or go through disks and pads every year.

Looks like Renault it is then or Eurocarparts who also list one.