PDA

View Full Version : Rust...Or...Engine...

1995clio16v
04-04-2009, 23:58
Right,

New car arrived Thurs...ford mondeo Y plate 1.8 LX...missing the valver already! :cry:

Sooooooo....

Im gonna now finally get round to F7r-ing

Ive decided on buying a shagger megane and breaking i think to fund a bit of my new project. There are quite a few 100k milers knocking around for 600quid now. Anyway not decided on this part yet.

Question1:

Its seems a real catch 22 on deciding on whether to get the rust done first and respray, or the engine done first then re-spray, what do you guys reckon/advise?

Thing is I could get the car totally resprayed and all the rust sorted while the shell is empty..would be easiest...

But

Then on the other hand doing that first means im more likely to twat the car and mark it when I then get round to putting the engine in and doing all the other bits blah blah blah

See what Im getting at...opinions please...?

Question2

I always dreamt of ITb's but to be honest prob gonna knock that on the head for now...so is there a top 3 or top 5 things anyone recommends for serious/ish engine mods...

Looking at what has gone on here before you can modify an F7R without itb's and make a bit of an animal...and the difference aint too much iirc

Opinions please..

webby
05-04-2009, 01:36
if u put the engine in 1st u will be tempted to put it on the road b4 the rust gets treated... as anybody would be. so i say bodywork 1st and then be as carefull as possible wen doin the engine... remove front wings and bumper to avoid damage etc!

then get urself some cams a full remap and sort some lowerage and breakage!!! sortd fella! :twisted:

Daz.
05-04-2009, 02:05
RUST.

kneesparks
08-04-2009, 11:53
Body work 1st, all I keep doin is driving the bloody thing and not doin the paint work like I wanted, what can I say im week! :lol:

1995clio16v
08-04-2009, 15:29
Cheers for input.

2 people have said the same thing.

Im thinking of going the proper route and removing the engine and treating the whole of the shell with rust protection, so surely I really need to remove the engine to do this properly? Any input from those that have done it?

Its going to get new sills, respray and arches attended to.

The only reason im questioning this is obviously then getting it to the bodyshop will be a problem, or would you just worry about that nearer the time! :o :lol:

Im going to do a lot of the prep work myself to try and keep the costs low etc...

Man I miss this car already. I was hoping this would be back on the road autumn time but to be honest more like a year! :cry:

MAXIBOY
08-04-2009, 15:34
i have as going for a colour change it was 100% necessary to avoid it looking daft..

but as for rust protection..i just sandblasted all rusty areas..treated them.
primed them..then underneath it was stonechipped and waxoyled. on top painted. all box section where waxoyled or dinitroled.
including inside bonnet bootlid etc..

then stripped to a bare shell except running gear and resprayed..

then built back up..had a few scratches on the bay when refitting but just used a small paint gun to touch these up..

1995clio16v
08-04-2009, 16:22
i have as going for a colour change it was 100% necessary to avoid it looking daft..

As in not practical to re-spray it properly with all running gear still on...

MAXIBOY
08-04-2009, 18:53

As in not practical to re-spray it properly with all running gear still on...

no as the area under the arches etc i covered in stonechip and waxoyl underseal coating. as in having the engine out, doors boot bonnet off and all glass removed..

could stone chip and repaint these areas but as they not really seen i thought it better to have to coats of protection rather than one and a coat of paint..there all black now..

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e15/123maxiboy/DSCF3510.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e15/123maxiboy/DSCF3497.jpg

as in the pics. waxoyl coating on top of stonechip..