PDA

View Full Version : Brand new tappets noisy

alex_e3
31-03-2009, 13:40
Dropped the willy lump into my naples a while ago. In the process i changed the tappets as the originals were a bit noisy on cold start. I bought the tappets off ebay off someone recommended on here - however when they arrived some oil had leaked out of them that was in the tubs. That was about a year ago i bought them, as i planned to do the job much sooner.

Anyhow, fitted the tappets fine over this last christmas. Once they quietened down on initial start up they were lovely and quiet. However, when i got the car out of my unit i noticed that they were very slightly noisy with the car warm.

Since then they've got even louder, but only when warm - they're really quiet as a mouse on cold start.

Are they buggered? I'm planning on taking the engine out to do the cambelt again and put a standard clutch in (R5 GTT clutch is doing my head in as a daily driver!). I won't be doing this till late in the summer, but just wondering what i should do with these tappets as the engine is coming out anyway. This shouldn't be happening with new tappets surely?

Cheers guys,

Al :-)

Robb
31-03-2009, 15:02
Are you sure it's tappet noise and not injector noise?

Wobba
31-03-2009, 16:51
What type of oil are you using? Mine are very quiet now with new ones.

If they make noise later rather ths=an at start it's either because one or two have busted the springs inside the hydraluic pistons or because the oil is not getting to them. If you take engine apart you can take them out and take em apart and clean the/check pistons inside...clean out with carb cleaner and reprime them overnight.

bbaazz-08
31-03-2009, 18:57
you may be using the wrong oil..........+ it helps to simply drop the oil and put it back in again

number1
31-03-2009, 20:00
Whats the oil Pressure like? mine was tappy all the time, changed the followers for some ones i refurbished and it went away, happy motoring for a few hundred miles, then it came back, Oil Pressure was slightly lower than the manufacturers spec, then i changed the oil pump as it would never see above a true 2.7bar, which was 2 bar on the in car gauge
Oil pressures a fair bit higher now and has been totally fine since :)

I do have some brand new followers im thinking about ebaying actually
Pm me if your after a set,

alex_e3
01-04-2009, 14:42
Cheers for replies guys!

Definitely not injector noise - 100% tappet noise.

Oil pressure on the gauge is lower than some people have on here, i.e. it sometimes sits just above 0 bar when oil is around 100 degrees. When driving steadily on cold start though, oil pressure is around 5 bar.

Strange though that the symptoms have been completely reversed? Tappets were very quiet when car was hot before, and nothing else has been changed apart from the tappets.

As for oil itself, i'm using 10W 40 semi synthetic oil. Never had a problem with this oil before.

Damn this is annoying me!

bbaazz-08
01-04-2009, 23:16
try mineral oil from the motor factors ......this could stop the noise

Laine_16v
01-04-2009, 23:56
Dont mistake tappet noise for small end knock either.

number1
02-04-2009, 22:00
well mine was whisper quiet on start until it got warm and the oil thinned out, Was the oil pump not flowing enough, get a mechanical gauge on there
I did about 5 oil changes and it didnt solve it
Its a lack of oil reaching the top end..

alex_e3
03-04-2009, 09:29
New oil might be the first thing to try, as it's certainly the cheapest.

I'm 100% that this is a tappet noise and nothing else!

Surely it wouldn't be the oil pump? As i never had this noise when car was warm before i changed the tappets. Surely if it was the cause, then the old tappets would have been noisy at high temps as well? & i definitely get good oil pressure on a cold start up - even though the gauge isn't the most accurate, it can't be that far out.

Wobba
03-04-2009, 11:07
New oil might be the first thing to try, as it's certainly the cheapest.

I'm 100% that this is a tappet noise and nothing else!

Surely it wouldn't be the oil pump? As i never had this noise when car was warm before i changed the tappets. Surely if it was the cause, then the old tappets would have been noisy at high temps as well? & i definitely get good oil pressure on a cold start up - even though the gauge isn't the most accurate, it can't be that far out.

If you take the cam cover off and have a look to see how much oil is in the top of the engine this should show clearly if it is oil starvation due to poor oil pump. Unless the oil was badly compromised it's unlikely the oil channels to the tappets are blocked...

number1
03-04-2009, 18:36
mine had enough oil in the top end when you removed the cam cover you could see it, Try an oil and filter change first and if it doesnt go away get a mechanical pressure gauge on there, i tried 3 different senders none of them gave an accurate reading, some high some low,

Wobba
04-04-2009, 00:59
mine had enough oil in the top end when you removed the cam cover you could see it, Try an oil and filter change first and if it doesnt go away get a mechanical pressure gauge on there, i tried 3 different senders none of them gave an accurate reading, some high some low,

My oil pressure isnt great. I may consider a pump change in a few months but tbh the car is fine at mo.

What mechanical sensors are there and how do u plug them into dash?