PDA

View Full Version : Getting then cams lined up...

Wobba
29-03-2009, 17:42
Ok, second timing belt change after new tappets have been put in...camshafts have moved and the valve springs are putting too much pressure on for me to turn the cams to the right position, how the hell do it do it.

I could put the belt on and slightly hand crank them, but I reckon they will just pop out of place again when I take the balt off to adjust the crank pulley to TDC again...

Justin..
29-03-2009, 17:47
cant you use the old belt some how to move the cam around?

or maybe a spanner on the bolt? althought im unsure if thats a good idea :?

Justin..
29-03-2009, 17:48
i wouldnt have thought they'd pop out of place else every time you did the came belt it would be missions to keep them aligned?

Wobba
29-03-2009, 18:05
i wouldnt have thought they'd pop out of place else every time you did the came belt it would be missions to keep them aligned?

They stayed put on the valver, but 217 is being a dick.

One has edged one way, the other the other way, only small amounts but they are now out of line.

Can try using the old belt, sure, but its VERY stiff and hard to move them...

Justin..
29-03-2009, 18:06
hmm, need an extra pair of hands then to hold them maybe?

Wobba
29-03-2009, 18:28
Hehe, I'll be ok Jus, was hoping to get it all done in the light for work tomorrow but not sure now...

I HAVE IT TIMED UP RIGHT YAY! Took some leverage but it's there...now to have fun putting the belt on...

queegan
29-03-2009, 19:28
i found this mate when i changed the tappets thought it was them was just a case of me over tightning then camshaft carriers just loosen a them a bit

Wobba
29-03-2009, 19:49
i found this mate when i changed the tappets thought it was them was just a case of me over tightning then camshaft carriers just loosen a them a bit

Bit late, too tired for that shit lol. I've had to brute force a pulley into position, not sure if it will stay there though! It's one tooth out, or was...

Brealbags
29-03-2009, 21:13
sounds like somethings wrong if its that difficult :?

Wobba
29-03-2009, 23:13
sounds like somethings wrong if its that difficult :?

What happens is if you take the cams out, and sometimes even when you just take the belt off, the cams shift due to pressure from the valve springs on the cam lobes. Usually only move a little, but it's enough to get the timing out.

It's a pain in the arse!

I've got the belt on now and timed up. I am just praying the oil seals kept flush with the housing.

I wanted to do all this in one day but with stuck bolts and naughty timing stuff it got too dark, and I, too tired to pursue my endless project any further!

Still, was a nice day out and I got to chat to some of the ladies, out enjoying the sunshine and laughing at my efforts and frequent swearing at 217...