PDA

View Full Version : URGENT! How to remove the Wishbone balljoint "pin"

Patrick_g46
28-03-2009, 23:40
My wishbone balljoint went today and my wheel "fell off" and f****ed my wing Iv just gone to remove the balljoint piece to put in the new 1 and iv go the part off the wishbone that is held on with 2 bolts but when i went to remove the piece in the hub (the pin type piece) i cannot get it out! Iv taken bolt and and tried to prise the pin out frm the bottom but just cannot get it out!

Im thinking that i may have to hammer it out from above? which will invovle removing driveshaft etc! Can anyone tell me what im doing wrong?

Patrick

16v_paddy
29-03-2009, 10:47
Undo the 2 bolts on the wishbone, then the pinch bolt

you should then be able to get a screwdriver and hammer it off from the top without having to remove the driveshaft etc

Patrick_g46
29-03-2009, 11:33
Undo the 2 bolts on the wishbone, then the pinch bolt

you should then be able to get a screwdriver and hammer it off from the top without having to remove the driveshaft etc

really? the drivershaft runs directly above it?!

16v_paddy
29-03-2009, 11:44
If its knackered jam a screwdriver underneath & prise it out, if all the nuts & bolts are undone and it's stuck you just need a bit of brute force :wink:

Patrick_g46
29-03-2009, 11:58
If its knackered jam a screwdriver underneath & prise it out, if all the nuts & bolts are undone and it's stuck you just need a bit of brute force :wink:

the thing is there si nothing to grab onto, there is just a pin sticking out with a ball on the end! Is it possibly to knock it out frm above without removing drivehsaft? Hvae you got any idea of driveshaft nut size?

chriso
29-03-2009, 12:06
driveshaft nut is a 30mm

Patrick_g46
29-03-2009, 12:44
Ok so when i get this b*****d out, how far in do i need to push the new 1? because as it is the top bit just sticks out fo the new rubber? Do i need to push it up so as that the rubber retracts slightly?

stevie_b
30-03-2009, 09:30
Will be easy with the driveshaft out of the way. Remove the pinch bolt and then drive a wedge between the two sides of the area that pinches the top of the balljoint. Then just tap down on the balljoint from above with a screwdriver or punch and it should come out quite easily. Refitting the new one should be straightforward and the top of the balljoint should sit just below flush with the hub part. I have some pics I can dig out if you need them?

schakal
30-03-2009, 09:38
Ok so when i get this b*****d out, how far in do i need to push the new 1? because as it is the top bit just sticks out fo the new rubber? Do i need to push it up so as that the rubber retracts slightly?

you only have to push/pull it untill the grove on the ball joint shaft
lines up with the round wall of the hole so that the bolt can go in with
out damage (look through the hole to confirm)
use the force of "wiggle" :)

again you dont force the bolt in , you grease and push it in
to avoid damage !!