PDA

View Full Version : help i need to know what and where engine function fuse

wavy
28-03-2009, 15:59
i know where the fuse is i mean i need to know where it leads to and what it does please
iv checked earths and for any obvious splits in wires
the manual just says fuse 6 is for engine functions and nothing else so i am a bit lost

cheer
dave

northy
28-03-2009, 22:45
whats the problem then dave ??

wavy
29-03-2009, 15:41
the e/m fuse blown on my car wed night ?

just before it blown the car stuttered for half a sec then drove normal for another 5 mins then just died and left me in middle of road Sad

big thanks to 2live who happened to be working near by and came to the rescue he noticed it was the fuse that had blown ( fuse 6 in the bulk head f/box)
replaced it an car is fine again

then it happened twice on way home from work fri
but had a few 30 amp fuses on me so got home
i have looked over wires and wraped any dodgy bits checked what earths i can see
the car seems ok again but im on pins driving incase it stops again ?
i can only think its shorting out somewhere ?

northy
01-04-2009, 21:20
have a look behind the pass headlight, i have seen one other car fail there and blow the fuses

1fast6
05-04-2009, 20:48
I had this problem also so i know a bit about the circuit connected to this fuse.

It is likely the engine side loom (normally is) but check with an ammeter at the fuse). If the engine side is shorted, it will be the loom bundle somewhere.

Problem cause 1: The loom comes out of the relay box and runs down the chassis behind the n/s headlight as northy says. This loom section can rub against the chassis leg and rub through the yellow wire which is the section that runs through the engine management circuit. If the wire is grounding to earth through the chassis, it will pop the fuse. Check and repair by re-wrapping in electrical tape and secure the loom away from the chassis using cable tie or plastic cable wrap around the loom.

Problem cause 2: This circuit also runs to the alternator and the lambda sensor (strangely). If the circuit is not grounding through the chassis on the leg, then it will be rubbed away somewhere else. Unfortunately you may need to strip the loom and check the the yellow wire all the way back. It may have rubbed on the bell housing etc.

wavy
06-04-2009, 17:23
:D thanks a lot mate for that info it gives me something to look for now :)

up to now all iv done is put a bit of tape on any dodgy bits and its not happened since but now i know what to look for i can do a better repair

cheered me right up that :)