PDA

View Full Version : FAO MOT testing people

rob-legend
27-03-2009, 20:03
will my car pass it's MOT with this rot?

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm6/rob-legend/05032009129.jpg

also if it won't, whats the situation, can i drive it anywhere to get it fixed? as i maybe able to get it done for a decent price, but the place is 20miles away and the car won;t be taxed due to no MOT.. help :shock:

northy
27-03-2009, 23:43
if you put the interior panel back in they wont see most of it

Rob72
28-03-2009, 19:32
aye...tester will never see that.
slap some paint on the underside if its showing.

rob-legend
29-03-2009, 10:20
so whats the legal status on driving it to/from the MOT place and driving it somwhere to get it fixed?

drsmith1979
30-03-2009, 05:56
From memory, you can legally drive a car with no tax nor MOT if you are going from the cars location directly to the testing station. you are allowed to go to the PO if you are renewing out of date tax too from when i checked last.

The law has to be relatively lax as people cannot afford to trailer it everytime, they'd simply leave them and have the council come and remove them, its good to have a little leeway here and there...

But be warned, with the new system they may ask for proof of appointment and not simply a 'favor' from a friend whos a mechanic to pencil you in etc..

PC-PLOD
30-03-2009, 13:54
Technically speaking YOU ARE allowed to take a untaxed car for a prebooked mot if it fails however you are supposed to leave the car at the mot testing station for repairs ( if driving it back you have an accident you have NO mot tax or insurance) also you CANNOT take a untaxed car to the post office to tax it( to drive an untaxed car on the public highway is against the law) tax it online is the best way but then technically speaking you cannot drive it untill you recieve the disc thro the post its also an offence to drive a car NOT displaying an upto date disc or to drive a car failing to display a disc . i am the law!

rob-legend
30-03-2009, 20:52
well what happens if the MOT centre want to rape me over sill replacement? can i not travel elsewhere?

Laine_16v
30-03-2009, 21:13
Would then be your responsibility to trailor it elsewhere.

FATBOY
30-03-2009, 22:08
Technically speaking YOU ARE allowed to take a untaxed car for a prebooked mot if it fails however you are supposed to leave the car at the mot testing station for repairs ( if driving it back you have an accident you have NO mot tax or insurance) also you CANNOT take a untaxed car to the post office to tax it( to drive an untaxed car on the public highway is against the law) tax it online is the best way but then technically speaking you cannot drive it untill you recieve the disc thro the post its also an offence to drive a car NOT displaying an upto date disc or to drive a car failing to display a disc . i am the law!

that has changed! as long as you have applied online and are awaiting the disc being delivered, you have 5 days grace from the day you purchased the disc.

Matty86
31-03-2009, 00:43
Technically speaking YOU ARE allowed to take a untaxed car for a prebooked mot if it fails however you are supposed to leave the car at the mot testing station for repairs ( if driving it back you have an accident you have NO mot tax or insurance)

You're allowed to drive to and from a pre-booked MOT regardless of it it passes or not (unless the car is deemed to be unsafe) without MOT or tax.

Insurance (at least your third party liability) is unaffected by tax and MOT status.

also you CANNOT take a untaxed car to the post office to tax it( to drive an untaxed car on the public highway is against the law) tax it online is the best way but then technically speaking you cannot drive it untill you recieve the disc thro the post its also an offence to drive a car NOT displaying an upto date disc or to drive a car failing to display a disc .

as said, you have 5 days grace if you're taxing it online, but this only applies to renewals.

i am the law!

seeing as you're the law, if I was driving to/from a pre-booked MOT with no tax, am I still required to display the old, out of date tax disc?

PC-PLOD
31-03-2009, 17:12
Asi said technically you are NOT allowed to drive the car back from a failed mot as the law stands you should have your mot before the old one runs out check the mot cert it says you can have it done 2 weeks before it expires and the same with tax if you dont believe me get caught coming back from a failed mot with no tax and mot i can safely say some officers would nick you end of story and any excuses would not stand up in court if you took it that farasi said if the mot and tax have run out you are Not allowed to drive it on the road try and explain to your insurance com if you ahve an accident on the way back they would wash ther hand s of you

PC-PLOD
31-03-2009, 17:14
sorry in reply to your question in a word yes.

PC-PLOD
31-03-2009, 17:40
let me put it an other way its against the law to drive on a public highway without an appropraite mot certificate or tax disc interpretate it as you will

MAXIBOY
31-03-2009, 18:58
see thats ok if you run a car everyday...

but if you restore a car and it takes over a year etc..then its very difficult to have a current m.o.t. etc..or tax for that matter..

then you do need to trailer the car there and back really as if caught then they will more than likely try and screw you for all the tax owed while being repaired as they will assume you have been using it without..

not worth the risk..

the other issue is when fitting brand new pads and discs how are you meant to bed them in before the m.o.t around 250 miles if you can't use the roads to do so..track day maybe.. :?

rob-legend
31-03-2009, 21:45
^^^ see thats my point, i have had the car off the road for a year, and i have no access to a trailor to take it to the MOT centre and back, so the law states i have no other choice than to let the MOT centre charge as they will, seems a little unfair in my eyes :(

FATBOY
31-03-2009, 21:47
^^^ see thats my point, i have had the car off the road for a year, and i have no access to a trailor to take it to the MOT centre and back, so the law states i have no other choice than to let the MOT centre charge as they will, seems a little unfair in my eyes :(

you cant win fella!

rob-legend
31-03-2009, 21:52
disgraceful, it's just money money money :(

Matty86
01-04-2009, 10:37
Asi said technically you are NOT allowed to drive the car back from a failed mot as the law stands

have you got any source to clear this up? this bit of info I found bbc.co.uk says otherwise

It is illegal to drive a car of MOT-testable age that does not have a current MOT test certificate on public roads, with the exception of driving it away to a place of repair, which may include your home residence. From there you may be permitted to drive to a pre-booked place of repair, and to a pre-booked MOT test station.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A12921581

you should have your mot before the old one runs out check the mot cert it says you can have it done 2 weeks before it expires

erm, you can have it done at any time. You can have it done up to one calendar month before the expiry date to preserve the original test date (effectively giving you 13months)

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Mot/DG_4022112

and the same with tax if you dont believe me get caught coming back from a failed mot with no tax and mot i can safely say some officers would nick you end of story and any excuses would not stand up in court if you took it that far

Direct.gov.uk says this about driving to and from an MOT with no tax

You can drive your vehicle to and from a pre-arranged test at an MOT test station provided you have adequate insurance cover in place for the use of that vehicle.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_069671

It makes no mention of the vehicle being required to pass or not and combined with the other quote from the bbc site about being able to drive home from a failed MOT, I can't see how that would work...

asi said if the mot and tax have run out you are Not allowed to drive it on the road try and explain to your insurance com if you ahve an accident on the way back they would wash ther hand s of you

Your insurance isn't related to MOT or tax status. The only time you might get into bother would be if your car failed its MOT on, say, brakes and then on the way home you ploughed into the back of someone.

Even then, they are still required to cover your third party liabilities but can then choose to reclaim their costs from you. Point is, you're still insured so you're not committing an offence.

PC-PLOD
01-04-2009, 16:04
As i said before technically it is still an offence , its a very very grey area and i was intereseted in what comments people came up with i would still state that if you had an accident on the way back from a failed mot your insurance company would be very reluctate to help an the basis that TECHNICALLY you have no tax and mot hence the car is not insured.If you have a project on the go there is no other way and you would have to insure it before you took it for an mot and i bet your insurance com would be more sympathetic to you if you hade an accident. i know of a example where some got caught on a speed camera as it turned out on the way back from a faied mot after the usual checks were done i.e checks for tax mot insurance he was done for 1. speeding 2 no tax 3 no mot discuss !

rob-legend
01-04-2009, 18:18
it's ok saying its a grey area, that doesnt help resolve it (i'm not having a go btw)

but you are the law and the dvla seems to conflict with your anwsers, i kinda want to know whats right as if i'm caught in this situation i don't want to not have anything to use in my defence, as i intend to act in favour of the law :)

stevie_b
01-04-2009, 18:23
Depends where he was driving it 'back' to. If he was driving it back home then that would be defined as illegal. If however he was driving it from the failed MOT to a garage to have the failed items fixed then that is legal, and he should have got a decent lawyer to fight his cause on those two charges. Mind you, if you are going to run the risk of entering this 'grey' area then you would think you would at least drive sensibly and avoid getting caught on a speed camera :lol:

Matty86
01-04-2009, 18:45
but you're even allowed to drive it 'home' as long as 'home' is where the repairs are going to take place and is not on the road

stevie_b
01-04-2009, 19:41
Think that's definitely in the grey area. You can take it to and from a place where 'by previous arrangement' repairs are to be made. If it is booked into a garage and you can prove that is where you are going, and the things it failed on are not such that it is dangerous to have driven it there, then a kind policeman might let you get on with it. I wouldn't like to be trying to argue that I have 'previously arranged' to take it to my own house, although if it came down to it I'd have to argue the toss, demonstrating that I had all the tools, know-how, etc. and then just hope that the policeman was a very understanding chap!

Matty86
01-04-2009, 20:00
if you could produce a fresh MOT failsheet then that must be good proof that you're only taking it to a place of repair and not just out for a drive or something

It is illegal to drive a car of MOT-testable age that does not have a current MOT test certificate on public roads, with the exception of driving it away to a place of repair, which may include your home residence.

stevie_b
01-04-2009, 22:13
Where did you find that bit about it including your home residence? That seems like the clincher in my opinion and if that's the official line then it is no longer such a 'grey' area as far as I'm concerned. I have driven to MOTs several times without a current certificate as it has expired on a spare car and it has been some months/years until I have used it again, but I have always been pretty sure it would pass the MOT so not worried unduly about how I might get it home again!

let me put it an other way its against the law to drive on a public highway without an appropraite mot certificate or tax disc interpretate it as you will

As demonstrated by the above, you could get stopped and charged regardless of the technicalities if those enforcing the law believe this to be the case, even if its incorrect? You'd no doubt get let off later if it were ever to get as far as court and the exact rulings checked, but I'd rather avoid the hassle so it is interesting to read people's thoughts :lol:

Matty86
01-04-2009, 22:50
I quoted my source above - it's not from a government website as such, but a bbc article. Still a credible source imo and I can't find anything to the contrary (from an equally credible source)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A12921581

PC-PLOD
02-04-2009, 18:51
INTELLIGENT lot on here speaking to colleges the grey area is where you draw the line as to where the car is being repaired but the point i am trying to make is regarding insurance most insurance policys state mine for the williams certiainly does that the car must be be roadworthy is no mot roadworthy ? like i said a grey area and one i would not personnallly want to put to the test.

stevie_b
03-04-2009, 08:49
Sure, you personally may not want to put it to the test, and nor would I, but nevertheless it is interesting to see how someone in your position would interpret it when faced with others doing so. Would you take any action if you came across someone in this scenario, for example on the basis that you are saying that their insurance could be invalid, which in itself is an offence if using the car on the road? A car must be roadworthy to go on the road full stop - so if you have a bald tyre and are driving it to a pre-booked MOT, then the car is unroadworthy and you are committing an offence, regardless of whether your previous MOT was within 12 months or already expired months/years ago. Having a current MOT certificate is not proof of your car being roadworthy.

Matty86
03-04-2009, 12:02
You would be done for having bald tyres, not for not having an MOT

stevie_b
03-04-2009, 14:02
That's in the example I gave where the car is unroadworthy - yes. What would he do where the car just has an expired ticket but is being driven to/from MOT or to/from a place of repair, including home, as in my view not having a current MOT does not, in itself, make a car 'unroadworthy' (unless of course it had the MOT test and failed on something that would deem it thus)

katbloke
03-04-2009, 14:05
afaik without mot/tax or insurance then everything is void ie if you have insurance but no tax your insurance is invalid and i heard that nowadays the only way to get an expired mot car to and from the garage is via transportation methods ie a trailer

Matty86
03-04-2009, 14:43
Insurance isn't related to tax/mot status!

PC-PLOD
07-04-2009, 21:19
As i said a grey area iwhich would fall under the officer using his/her discretion but i hope no one on here would be dull enough to take car for an mot with a bald tyre as someone righty pointed out you would be done for a bald tyre .My insurance is mot /tax related to prove a point i rang my insurance company (halifax) and they assured me no tax no mot =no insurance no ifs no buts they said get it done before it expires how that translates to projects god only knows

Richardcard1974
07-04-2009, 23:16
Jesus, you bunch of scaredy cats, Just get it driven to the MOT place. If it fails book it in somewhere else and drive there. If you get stopped by the filth just say your going to an MOT. The ring up check and find you are and everything is ok.

If you havnt gone a stunt drive in an uninsured car you havnt lived.