PDA

View Full Version : Getting it ready for the road

stevefesta
25-03-2009, 22:30
After getting my Williams 3 about a month ago, driving it to my folks house (who kindly let me keep it on the drive) then not driving it due to sorting out insurance and needing to clear space at home etc etc..... Thought it was time to give it a service and learn a bit about it before I start using it (hopefully everyday!!!) in a couple of weeks.

It started badly, draining most of the oil onto the floor (sorry mom!!!) instead of the tray.
The oil filter was a challenge, but thankfully a gloved hand sorted that.
Shattered the rotor arm removing it, then figured out euro car parts had given me the wrong one!!!!
Sparkplugs looked a bit oily, so probably needs a new rocker cover gasket.
Airbox I brought to replace induction kit was for a megane, thanks richy for clearing up why it would not fit (not happy with go faster spares) new one sourced yesterday thanks to ebay :)

So car is curently stuck on stands waiting for me to finish it!!! As the gilfriends recent purchase of a 172 refused to start so had to drag my trusty old Fiesta out the garage so she could get to work while her Clio was fixed.

However I am still loving the Williams as it puts a smile on my face just looking at it :) Also forgive the dodgy French electrics when giving the 172 a run :)

webby
25-03-2009, 22:34
lol u are in the exact same position as me, i got hybrid on axle stands on my drive and im in the fiesta while i sort it to my liking, where in brum are ya? im solihull

Wobba
25-03-2009, 22:49
Old rotor arms tend to snap, all mine have! The oil in the plug wells could just be overfill from oil top-ups.

Lucky the filter was not stuck on, it's hard enough to get off anyway let alone when it's seized!

Hope you get it sorted soon! Bet you are looking forward to it starting up with nice new stuff on :)

stevefesta
25-03-2009, 22:56
I'm in Sheldon, so not far from you. Really looking forward to getting it off the stands and starting it up and seeing how it really drives (my everyday Mondeo STtdci is nice, but rather dull!!!)

Wobba
25-03-2009, 23:03
I'm in Sheldon, so not far from you. Really looking forward to getting it off the stands and starting it up and seeing how it really drives (my everyday Mondeo STtdci is nice, but rather dull!!!)

Haha! Well maybe you'll have to meet some of us Southern Willy owners soon then :)

Any pics yet?

I'm sure once the car is on the road you'll love it, they are very quick cars, but can be a bit of a nightmare with the typical old performance car gremlins. Once sorted though and looked after properly they are fine!

I am sure Arj256 will be organising some meets for us all over Spring and Summer...keep yer eyes peeled!

stevefesta
25-03-2009, 23:07

Haha! Well maybe you'll have to meet some of us Southern Willy owners soon then :)

Any pics yet?

I'm sure once the car is on the road you'll love it, they are very quick cars, but can be a bit of a nightmare with the typical old performance car gremlins. Once sorted though and looked after properly they are fine!

I am sure Arj256 will be organising some meets for us all over Spring and Summer...keep yer eyes peeled!

Hey wobba, I was telling webby I am close to Solihull, so a midlands willy owner. Would still love to come and meet some southerners though :)

Will get the pics of the gf's phone onto photobucket then post!!

stevefesta
25-03-2009, 23:45
pics now posted

http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=347439#347439

rob-legend
26-03-2009, 00:00
i know how you feel, i'm itching to get mine back on the road after a year

stevefesta
26-03-2009, 14:03

I'm hoping it isn't off the road that long (hopefully be abount another two weeks :) )
What have you been doing to it for a year?

Wobba
26-03-2009, 14:57
Perhaps meet up at a big meet or something, like donnington park track day :)

rob-legend
26-03-2009, 18:33

I'm hoping it isn't off the road that long (hopefully be abount another two weeks :) )
What have you been doing to it for a year?

not a great lot, just needed a bit doing (new crankseal etc) but i bought a daily hack and basically left the williams to save some cash.