PDA

View Full Version : +++ Insuring the Driver VS Insuring the Car +++

nonamer
11-03-2009, 14:17
Hi all,

I've been know to change cars very often. In fact I've had about 18 of them in the past couple of years. And I always had the headache of switching cars on my insurance and switching insurances etc etc.

Now, I have a Williams 2 which I'm not/won't be selling. But to be fair it is not the most practical car for every day for me so I'd like to keep it as a track/weekend car. And I will also buy another car (bmw/jag/audi....) for everyday use in a little while.

Knowing myself, I will probably keep switching between my everyday cars every 3-4 months. And so I want to sort out my car insurance once and for all!

So:
- I have no claims 6 years
- No points on licence
- do not run a car business
- one Williams for weekends
- one or two other cars for everyday use
- will be switching between everyday cars regularly.

Can I legally insure myself as a driver no matter which car I'm driving at any given moment, instead of insuring every car I get over and over again? What is the best insurance solution in my situation?

Thanks guys, your help/suggestions is much appreciated! 8)

Andyvalver
11-03-2009, 20:00
Thats a good question :?

FATBOY
11-03-2009, 20:03
i think your referring to a traders policy.... not sure how expensive they are? and not sure if you have to prove your in the motor trade to get one?

wavy
11-03-2009, 20:04
trader insurance ? not sure it can e done like that mate

Justin..
11-03-2009, 20:04
admiral multi car??

FATBOY
11-03-2009, 20:08
must be an old thing then? my old man has still got his (he used to buy and sell about 20 years ago full time) he is insured to drive any vehicle.

col
11-03-2009, 20:21
Yes it can be done my sons mate has one . i almost did it but chickend out .

its not as pricey as you might think, and as long as you have three cars or more (dont have to be all on the road) an say your doing them up to sell them no problem....i found them very helpful.

stan
11-03-2009, 22:59
Mine works on a "blanket" scheme, whereby im insured to drive any vehicle in my possesion upto £25k.

I can also then add permanent vehicles outside of this blanket.

I think the road risk section of my policy (the rest is contents/public liability/service indemnity) is about £800-900. That pretty good imo..

Im 99% sure you have to be trading in motor trade, but dont quote me on that...
ring around a few places would give a more definite answer.

drsmith1979
12-03-2009, 01:31
I think the law changed to mean you have to have specific premises in order to qualify for 'traders' policies... some companies would not allow the same address of work being your home address.. i.e. it had to be separate and not just working in your back shed.

Some may let you get away with it, but it is an area that is being tightened up due to people abusing it.

Even as a mechanic, im sure most places will expect a separate address and proof of 'trade' i.e. license, credentials etc..

stan
12-03-2009, 09:02
Could have a point there about the address tbh...

stevie_b
12-03-2009, 11:23
I have a company and so was looking into doing it through that, when I get the projects finished and more than a couple of them on the road at a time. Admiral multi car was pants for my needs - I was insured as the only driver and the premium went up massively each car I added, even though I could only ever be using one at a time! Now I just insure a couple and swap the insurance every couple of months when I want to drive another - paying the admin fee to change each time seems to work out cheapest for me at the moment if I limit what I use when.

For you chaps that already have trader's policies do you find you get stopped by the police a lot to go through the paperwork? Now with ANPR cameras and the new law just in saying it is illegal to own a car that is not insured (unless it is SORNd) then I can see myself getting stopped a lot and a load of paperwork sent to me threatening fines unless I have a policy that covers each specific licence plate?

stan
12-03-2009, 13:56
Ive been stopped 3/4 times in the last 4 years.
The officers tend to be quite understanding tbh, youve just got to be firm that the actual text on the insurance certificate says "........is insured to drive any vehicle in his/their possesion".

I also tell them to PNC one of my pool cars to prove I have a trade policy, that usually does the trick.

Worst case is you get a producer, i know im all legal and above board, so no worries with it tbh.