PDA

View Full Version : Changed my Dogbone but still getting clunking noise! Ideas??

Patrick_g46
09-03-2009, 22:23
Basically i was getting clucking from low gear acceleration and also somtimes if i hit a bump/hole in the road. My gearstick was also moving back and forwards on and off throttle.

Iv just finished changing my mount but its still clunking! :( Good news is at least the gear stick is solid now! :)

Has anyone got any suggestions of what to check and how to check it?

Patrick

busterhymes
10-03-2009, 07:53
transmission mount ??

Wobba
10-03-2009, 10:13
Could be suspension related too. Checked all engine mounts though.

Wobba
10-03-2009, 10:13
Could be suspension related too. Check all engine mounts though.

Damn edit button :(

Rich
10-03-2009, 10:16
aye could be the top mounts pal.

Patrick_g46
10-03-2009, 11:55
Could be suspension related too. Check all engine mounts though.

Damn edit button :(

The mounts on top of the struts? How can can i check these?? dont really fancy dropping the whole strut?

Wobba
10-03-2009, 12:36
Well, yea it could be the struts banging about due to being worn or not tightened right, or it could be worn wishbones/balljoints.

Easy to replace if it is them.

Wobba
10-03-2009, 12:39
I would check the top drivers side engine mount and gearbox/battery mount as well just for piece of mind. They should be fairly solid with only a little flex and absolutely zero damaged rubber.

eternalife
10-03-2009, 12:57
The 'head' of the bolts used for the dog bone mount should be on the side of the downpipe.
If the bolt ends face the downpipe they often hit under hard accel/decel, going over bumps and cause a clonk.

Patrick_g46
10-03-2009, 13:16
I would check the top drivers side engine mount and gearbox/battery mount as well just for piece of mind. They should be fairly solid with only a little flex and absolutely zero damaged rubber.

Iv taken the battery out to check the battery mount, do i need to take out the bolts holding the "battery tray" in place to check it? Im guessing the 2 goldish bolts in the centre next to the rubber doughnut are whats holding the gearbox on? How can i check this! sorry for all the questiosn guys!

Patrick_g46
10-03-2009, 14:44
ok iv check the ball joints by trying to wobble them at 12 and 6 position. no play at all. BUT iv noticed that the drivers side strut, you can grab the wheel/hub and move the whole thing up a down, by maybe a few cm's (you can here fluid compression aswell?). The passenger side does not do this at all! Also the clunking sound does sound like its coming from the drivers side. Could this be causing it? There is defo play in it and not in passenger side!

Please tell me this si the cause! Also is it hard to change these? Iv had alook and it seems that i can undo 2 bolts at bottom of strut and drop the wishbone done and get it out?

Patrick_g46
10-03-2009, 21:42
right guys iv put it all back together and made sure its all tight, dont think the top was properly tightened up before, not too sure, but anyway its still clunking!

Can anyone please give me a list of things i can go through and check 1 at a time, this is starting to get annoying now!

So far iv replaced dogbone mount(this stiffened gearstick up nicely), checked balljoints (by grabbing the wheel at 12 and 6 position, rocking it back and forward, and trying to see if there is any play in the wheel? is this the right way to check them?), iv also dropped the whole drivers side strut and check for play in top mount, there barely seems to be any play in the big rubber at the top, maybe 1mm at most! The wishbones dotn seem to have any play in them either, i tried to rock these side to side but they wouldnt budge!

Please help me out here guys!

MAXIBOY
10-03-2009, 22:32
its so difficult to diagnose from a keyboard mate

could be a driveshaft inner joint..diff clunk..bushes front or rear shocks bushes..loads of things

can you describe it a little more and where its seems to come from..conditions etc..

Patrick_g46
10-03-2009, 22:35
its so difficult to diagnose from a keyboard mate

could be a driveshaft inner joint..diff clunk..bushes front or rear shocks bushes..loads of things

can you describe it a little more and where its seems to come from..conditions etc..

Yeh i appreciate that mate, could be lots of things!

The noise basically sounds like its coming from the front, most likely drivers side, happens nearly all the time in 1st and 2nd gear, like after iv let the clutch out and accelerate, but doesnt happen above 3rd gear. Can also happen if i hit a bump in the road, go over a speed bump.

Thats about all i can think of tbh!

MAXIBOY
10-03-2009, 22:38
sounds suspension/driveshaft related..

when you stripped the shock down did you check the bearing in the top mounts or remove the spring

ball joint could still be suspect they don't always show up..

Patrick_g46
10-03-2009, 22:53
sounds suspension/driveshaft related..

when you stripped the shock down did you check the bearing in the top mounts or remove the spring

ball joint could still be suspect they don't always show up..

yeh i took the whole shock apart, the bearing loooked ok? seemed to turn fine aswell? What would i have been looking for? When i put it all back together all seemed well.

Yeh i didnt think of driveshafts tbh, what could be wrong with these?

the balljoint on drivers side seemed to move around nicely, not really sure how i would tell if it was shagged though!

MAXIBOY
10-03-2009, 23:02
could just be a worn inner joint clonking on take up etc..

difficult to diagnose though..

best way is on a ramp driving forward with the handbrake on..or over a pit etc really..

usually if you can move them up and down at all..ball joints

Patrick_g46
10-03-2009, 23:16
could just be a worn inner joint clonking on take up etc..

difficult to diagnose though..

best way is on a ramp driving forward with the handbrake on..or over a pit etc really..

usually if you can move them up and down at all..ball joints

the inner part fo the driveshaft? Would i not be able to check this by getting uner the car and turning it at all?

MAXIBOY
10-03-2009, 23:19
yeah might show up..but the forces we exert don't always show up the faults under usage condition unfortunately