PDA

View Full Version : New cooling system required list of parts please!

ThRaXaIR
09-03-2009, 21:14
hi guys my williams cooling is pretty knackered, expansion tank split (new one ordered from schakal) but its also busy leaking from somewhere else as well :roll:

could someone give me a list of all the parts required to refresh the system. im thinking wobba might have a good idea of what i need?

cheers for any help guys!

LEIGH-ANNE
09-03-2009, 21:52
Yea wobba will be able to help

When my coolant wasnt staying put it was traced back to my water pump, just behind drivers side wheel. Can just about see if theres a leakage from there too

ThRaXaIR
09-03-2009, 22:25
cheers leigh-anne i'll have a butchers! :D

white16valver
10-03-2009, 15:04
Full cooling system change will be expensive!! :shock:

Header tank = £30
New rad = £80-100
Water pump = £? + fitting
Matrix = £30 + hassle fitting lol
Pipes = uber-expensive if new...

ThRaXaIR
11-03-2009, 23:05
got my new header, i think the leak is from a pipe....somewhere sadly. :(

have to investigate some more.

ThRaXaIR
11-03-2009, 23:06
got my new header, i think the leak is from a pipe....somewhere sadly. :(

have to investigate some more. surely rubber pipes arent extortionately expensive?!

Wobba
12-03-2009, 11:53
Cooling systems...argghhh! The bane of my Clio ownership!

It can be really hard to find leaking pipes sometimes, as they could have tiny weeny holes that you wont see till you take them off. The problem is, after years of use, they start to crack and vulcanise on the inside, causing them to split. the leaking water is always on the underside of the pipe, so feel thereabouts.

You can buy spare non-leaking pipes second hand on WC, and is a far cheaper option.

Some of the pipes are very expensive. If you are going to refresh it all it may be worth looking at a full Samco system.

A new rad is about £90 from GSF, same as the 16v one, and we get a 10% discount but you have to ask for it at the local outlet! It's worth doing I think, and at the same time you can check over the pesky fan sensor wiring in the rad too!

Waterpump is cheap (GSF):

R17010 WATER PUMP CLIO 19D & 1.8 16V £23.50

It can be a hassle to change in car, but doable, I've managed it. It's a case of taking off some aux belt pulleys and two bastard powersteering brackets to get too. Shit design.

Giving the whole system a major flush is also recommended. I take opportunities like these to replace the thermostat and clean up the thermo housing and check the sensors. Coolant temperature sensor is always good to replace and is cheap too:

R93495 TEMP SENSOR-WHITE SQUARE CLIO 1.8 RSI/16V £10.20

I've not done the heater matrix before, but I am planning on doing it at the same time as the radiator. There's a good guide over on the guides section.

ThRaXaIR
12-03-2009, 22:25
cheers wobba your a star, i'll make a start at the weekend then.

Wobba
13-03-2009, 12:01
If you do thermouhousing, careful of the crappy torx bolts. You may need to drill them out and get replacements. I posted somewhere the size for them, m6 x 40mm I think...the alloy heads tend to round off. Renault have a new design which is much better than the old crap.

Also, use some gasket silicone sealant on the housing surfaces after you clean them up, otherwise it may leak, like my valvers did!

ThRaXaIR
13-03-2009, 20:21
cheers man thanks for the heads up!