PDA

View Full Version : Speedo needle

MatrixGuy
07-03-2009, 19:00
My speedometer needle seems to shake up and down, is there any way to fix this? I know it's not a major problem but it's really bugging me.

will it involve taking the whole dashboard off?

16v_paddy
07-03-2009, 19:28
Have a look here 1st :wink: http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6746

MatrixGuy
07-03-2009, 19:33
Can't view it mate :(

16v_paddy
07-03-2009, 19:35
for those that suffer from speedo needle bounce, it can be quite annoying... dont worry this can be fixed for £5.
renault realised a fault on the old speedo shaft and designed a new one with a slight modification to the internal part where the centre of the speedo cable goes in to.

probs: the old speedo inner, is square and eventually wears each corner off, creating a bounce effect as it spins then doesnt recatches etc etc, new design is a star shape, a nice virginal fit.

how to fix?

pull speedo cable out, and the plastic circular part, look at the hole in gearbox where speedo cable goes you will see a plastic/white coloured part in middle of hole, remove with needle nose pliers, replace with part number: 7700722304 replace white circular part then replace speedo cable.

fix complete:-
if the fix fails it means your speedometer cable is more than likely defective and replacement is advisable... try the fix first:- may save you £50+

MatrixGuy
07-03-2009, 20:12
Cheers mate!!

I take it you do have to take the dashboard out then?

16v_paddy
07-03-2009, 21:03
No, its in the engine bay you want to do this fix, where the cable goes into the gearbox. If it doesn't work the actual cable needs replacing & you need to take the clocks out to do it, only the dash top will have to come off and that's easy - only 5 screws :wink:

MatrixGuy
08-03-2009, 17:20
Oh bugger, bit beyond me then, lol.

cliokiz
10-03-2009, 15:49
Just ordered one of these Paddy, top posting.

It was about £3 something i think.

I take it this can be used with the existing speedo cable?

16v_paddy
10-03-2009, 16:06
As far as I'm aware yes

and I completely forgot about fitting the 1 I've got while the engine was out :roll: :oops: ](*,) :nono: :headbutt: :rant:

cliokiz
10-03-2009, 18:15
My gearbox is out so i'll fit it and report back :)

MatrixGuy
10-03-2009, 18:36

£3?, where from mate?

16v_paddy
10-03-2009, 20:36
£5.76 from renault, probably cheaper now due to the VAT reduction :wink:

Part no. 77 00 722 304

MatrixGuy
10-03-2009, 20:50
£5.76 from renault, probably cheaper now due to the VAT reduction :wink:

Part no. 77 00 722 304

cheers mate, god am thick, lol. :lol:

Daz.
11-03-2009, 07:56
or you it'll stop if you change the entire speedo cable - £70 odd quid though IIRC, not the cheapest way but if it doesn't stop it it's an option. tis nice though when its not doing it anymore!

schakal
11-03-2009, 08:48

can you take a pic of this by any chance mate ?

cliokiz
11-03-2009, 11:37
Yeah i'll get pics of old vs new and let you know if it can be used with the existing speedo cable.

cliokiz
12-03-2009, 16:16
Picked up the part today, i can concur that the shape of the little plastic shaft where the speedo cable is held is now a star shape rather than a square.

Not entirely sure how it works with the existing speedo cable though, as the speedo cable end is still a square? Unless thats supposed to fit into the 'star' shape thus gripping it better?

I'll post up some pics soon when i fit it.

cliokiz
22-04-2009, 07:40
Hi all,

Just reporting back on my experience with this...

Can i just say, and make this quite clear:

DO NOT TRY THIS!

I bought the part, and decided to pull my williams gearbox out the garage the other day. I took some long nosed pliers, and pulled on the old speedo shaft to remove it from the box, thinking i could just insert the new part to replace it.

What a mistake that was!

Once i pulled it out, the little gear inside the gearbox that the shaft actually clips into, and the gear that drives it, just disappeared inside my gearbox somewhere and is nowhere to be seen.

So, now, neither shaft will actually clip into the box and there is nothing to drive it, rendering the gearbox useless (well, unless you're not bothered about a speedo reading..)

:cry:

So, i think you may need to take your box to bits to change this part. Unless you know what you're doing, i really wouldn't attempt it.

:wink:

Coops
22-04-2009, 10:31
never happened to me mate, i did mine in the car aswell, popped old one out which was fiddly i'll grant. but new part slotted straight in

MatrixGuy
22-04-2009, 17:47
Hi all,

Just reporting back on my experience with this...

Can i just say, and make this quite clear:

DO NOT TRY THIS!

I bought the part, and decided to pull my williams gearbox out the garage the other day. I took some long nosed pliers, and pulled on the old speedo shaft to remove it from the box, thinking i could just insert the new part to replace it.

What a mistake that was!

Once i pulled it out, the little gear inside the gearbox that the shaft actually clips into, and the gear that drives it, just disappeared inside my gearbox somewhere and is nowhere to be seen.

So, now, neither shaft will actually clip into the box and there is nothing to drive it, rendering the gearbox useless (well, unless you're not bothered about a speedo reading..)

:cry:

So, i think you may need to take your box to bits to change this part. Unless you know what you're doing, i really wouldn't attempt it.

:wink:

WTF?! :shock:

Wonder how this happened....hmmmm

cliokiz
23-04-2009, 13:00
No idea...

Other people are reporting they had no problems when changing it, but my gear that turns the shaft just vanished.

I heard that it could be due to the diff bearings being excessively worn which can cause the gear to move/dislodge.

Funnily, whilst i was working on the box, a lot of thick goo kept pouring out of the gearbox. Really thick nasty goo, so it looks like someone has put some CV grease in or similar to thicken up the gearbox oil.

The diff bearings must have been whining in the past and i'll bet the CV grease was put in to quieten it down.

Either way, i've now picked up an 80k JC5 Megane gearbox which already has the newer type speedo shaft in it, so all is well :)

I'll probably get the willy JC5 rebuilt at some point with a bolt in diff.