PDA

View Full Version : taking care of your car bodywork

titcharoony
03-03-2009, 00:35
After some advice from anyone who might know how best to take care of your cars bodywork. I use a good quality shampoo, wax and chami. Im hearing more and more about clay bars and their ability to remove small scratches and really bring out that shine over that shiny, hazy look. any tips?

kenny
03-03-2009, 00:57
What exactly is a 'clay bar'?

1995clio16v
03-03-2009, 00:58
The classic T-Cut still very good in my books as a first starter, then move on with finer cutting products afterwards.

I tend to tcut the whole car (arm ****ing drops off at end), then use Autoglym radiant wax which has a real fine cut, that gives an unbelievable shine to the car, wet chamois to finish.

Im no valeter/expert but above seems to work for me and works a treat and looks a treat when finished

:o

Smokey McPot
03-03-2009, 08:56
wash
clay
polish
seal

fasterthanjesus
03-03-2009, 11:18
wax on

wax off

Tommo
03-03-2009, 13:37
A clay bar won't get rid of scratches, but it does remove contaminates from paintwork, tar, bird crap etc. and gives the paint a smooth finish.

I always use Meguiars products myself, always been very impressed with the finish the gold class wax gives. If you want to get rid of scratches Megs do a product called Scratch X, I'd use this after a wash, then clay, then wax...

Tommo
03-03-2009, 13:42

It's a block of clay you rub over the paintwork to remove contaminates, it's very effective actually and gives the paint a nice smooth finish to apply a wax or polish

titcharoony
03-03-2009, 14:20
ive just bought some hehe

MatrixGuy
03-03-2009, 14:43
I first of all snow foam my car with Espuma Activo High Foam TFR, I then follow with a 2 bucket wash using Duragloss 901 (which is awesome) and a sheepskin mitt

the finish it leaves is very slick. i dry the car with a special microfibre drying towel.

you would then follow by claying the car using a lubricating solution (detail spray) . you also need to remove tar deposits using special products... Autoglym do a tar remover.

tape up around plastic trim on the car using 3M blue tape and then polish the paintwork by hand (much harder) or using a rotary/orbital polisher (you will need some lessons for this method as you can damage the paintwork)

the following names make good polishes; meguiars, menzerna, Poorboys, 3M, Autoglym SRP, etc.

After the paintwork has been corrected you can follow with sealants, glazes and a wax, etc.

Wobba
03-03-2009, 15:26
I am scared of using a cutting agent, never done it before.

rickyquicky
03-03-2009, 17:04
I am scared of using a cutting agent, never done it before.

theres nothing to worry about really if you are doing it by hand using a cutting compund/t-cut. as long as you dont push too hard or rub the same place for a few minutes you wont ruin anything.

just be careful if you use a machine polisher - make sure you hold the spinning pad flush with the paintwork, otherwise if you use the edge that can 'burn' through the paint.

likewise, be careful on the edges of bodywork and any weak spots of lacquer eg: scratches, cracks etc

never used a clay bar before, i normally go cutting compund (sometimes called rubbing compound) and then t-cut or polish and then wax :P

Daz.
03-03-2009, 17:17
Pffft - Rains where its at! :D

katbloke
03-03-2009, 18:51
not gonna say anything as ill come across as a clone of matrixguy, DITCH THE CHAMOIS AND SPONGE

dickies_willy2
03-03-2009, 18:51
i use autoglym myself... a good wash, t-cut and polish does the trick, and tyre blacker always makes the car look cleaner

toddjnr
03-03-2009, 19:42
have a looky on there.
http://www.glassfinish.co.uk/
thats what my brother does.theres a handy guide or 2 on there. 8)

kenny
03-03-2009, 20:17

It's a block of clay you rub over the paintwork to remove contaminates, it's very effective actually and gives the paint a nice smooth finish to apply a wax or polish

Where do I get this stuff, what's it called?

titcharoony
03-03-2009, 20:36
i love this site

queegan
03-03-2009, 21:28
go onto the poor boys site wil have all your cleaning needs tcut can be very abrasive u would u autoglym paint restorer less grit chamois are shit use a microfibre cloth ten times easier to use

katbloke
03-03-2009, 21:46
i like builthamber clay as you can use water as a lubricant not last touch/ quick detailer, there are varying grades of claybar too, sonus green is finer than sonus grey, so as with any polishes go for the least cut first and step up if you have to

Tommo
04-03-2009, 13:30

Where do I get this stuff, what's it called?

Halfords mate, it's called Meguiars clay bar, you get a quick detailer with it too

Jamie.
04-03-2009, 14:16
Didn't realise you were such a wizz with the polishing cloth Tommo, fancy doing the 172? :wink:

Tommo
04-03-2009, 18:16
Didn't realise you were such a wizz with the polishing cloth Tommo, fancy doing the 172? :wink:

Nah I just pretend I know what I'm on about mate!

GabrielKnight
02-06-2009, 15:22
Is it safe to use a drive through car wash?

Or a garage pressure washer?

Coops
02-06-2009, 15:27
drive through car wash will scratch the shit out your paint, same with a brush type jetwash attachment, avoid if possible and do it home using 2 bucket method and a decent wash mit

GabrielKnight
02-06-2009, 15:38
k, thanks

katbloke
02-06-2009, 18:40
I first of all snow foam my car with Espuma Activo High Foam TFR, I then follow with a 2 bucket wash using Duragloss 901 (which is awesome) and a sheepskin mitt

the finish it leaves is very slick. i dry the car with a special microfibre drying towel.

you would then follow by claying the car using a lubricating solution (detail spray) . you also need to remove tar deposits using special products... Autoglym do a tar remover.

tape up around plastic trim on the car using 3M blue tape and then polish the paintwork by hand (much harder) or using a rotary/orbital polisher (you will need some lessons for this method as you can damage the paintwork)

the following names make good polishes; meguiars, menzerna, Poorboys, 3M, Autoglym SRP, etc.

After the paintwork has been corrected you can follow with sealants, glazes and a wax, etc.

What he said, are answers are usually quite similar

busterhymes
02-06-2009, 19:25
anyone recommend good sites to buy products from

raviedavie
02-06-2009, 19:32
anyone recommend good sites to buy products from

www.cleanyourcar.co.uk
www.polishedbliss.co.uk
www.elitecarcare.co.uk
www.i4detailing.co.uk
www.valetpro.co.uk
www.theultimatefinish.co.uk

there are a few for you matey :wink:

busterhymes
02-06-2009, 21:14
ta m8 good few sites to have a look at :) :) :)