PDA

View Full Version : Oh no, not again.

Wobba
28-02-2009, 19:54
First signs of head gasket failure. A year after I fixed the Valver's HG.

At least this time I have the tools and the know-how.

Mayo in the cap, growing amounts for a few weeks. Mysterious coolant loss...far more that is leaking from my core plug leak (which I am replacing tomorrow). Slightly unhappy engine, with unsettled idle, and quite a bit of white smoke on start-up and for a bit after.

Also found mayo dripping from the oil breather pipe all the way down to the air box.

Oh well. I was going to do it anyway along with cambelt. Gonna take a week off work after the parts arrive and do the lot in one go.

16v_paddy
28-02-2009, 20:08
:shock: not again? :lol:

I'm getting rid of the HG set & head bolts I bought if you want them mate :wink:

Wobba
28-02-2009, 20:23
May take you up on that. Where are they from?

16v_paddy
28-02-2009, 20:27
I bought all the bits from stan @ APD

kenny
28-02-2009, 21:59
Never mind Wobba, at least they aren't being written off. :wink:

Wobba
28-02-2009, 23:16
lol, no, not in my hands there not!

Since my last car blew its HG I have been paranoid as hell and constantly seek for signs of it happening again. It COULD be me being uber paranoid, but this time I dont think so.

Matty86
01-03-2009, 00:45
with your skills i'm expecting it to be done in an afternoon now ;)

kenny
01-03-2009, 12:32

Blindfolded

Purple
02-03-2009, 01:04
Since my last car blew its HG I have been paranoid as hell and constantly seek for signs of it happening again. It COULD be me being uber paranoid, but this time I dont think so.
How do you drive the car? And how often do you drive/store/service it? It's a strange engine, this F7R, as mine's still on factory-installed HG. I drive daily (12 years until about 6 months ago), change up about 4k rpm and seldom go past 6k rpm. Keep below 3k rpm the first 5 mins drive of the day. Sees servicing about every 6k km. No idea what I am doing right.

fasterthanjesus
02-03-2009, 10:46
im the same as purple. although i installed a low temp rad and a low temp fan switch as every car i have owned has had a hg go!

LEIGH-ANNE
02-03-2009, 13:14
How do you drive the car? And how often do you drive/store/service it? It's a strange engine, this F7R, as mine's still on factory-installed HG. I drive daily (12 years until about 6 months ago), change up about 4k rpm and seldom go past 6k rpm. Keep below 3k rpm the first 5 mins drive of the day. Sees servicing about every 6k km. No idea what I am doing right.

Your also not in england tho right?? :wink:

Wobba
02-03-2009, 13:30

Blindfolded

lol guys!

I am not a mega mechanic, just enthusiastic :D

Replaced a bitch of a core plug yesterday...I'll show pics of it on a separate thread. Got a few minor quibbles sorted too and drained/flushed the cooling system and replaced with GSF blue coolant.

I let it settle for a bit and went for a hardy drive to grannies and back and its *seems* ok. The fan didn't kick in again, so I will have to get a new plug for the rad.

Wobba
02-03-2009, 13:37

I drive it everyday and not usually hard, and never hard initially. Ask some of the people local to me, I am thought of as Captain Slow generally and pamper my car endlessly.

LEIGH-ANNE
02-03-2009, 13:47

I drive it everyday and not usually hard, and never hard initially. Ask some of the people local to me, I am thought of as Captain Slow generally and pamper my car endlessly.

:lol: Tis true!

Purple
02-03-2009, 13:52
Your also not in england tho right?? :wink:
Yeah, but with the very high road temperatures here (about 40C-50C on a normal day), the weather kills engines here. European-made cars tend to have a reputation of being a moving geyser round here. I count myself very, very lucky to have a relatively fuss-free french car. I think there's also a few lucky UK guys on here, whose clios also run like clockwork.

fasterthanjesus
02-03-2009, 14:40
id rather have an engine and components in a dry heat, than in a wet climate!

or am i just kidding myself? :?

clio-patra
02-03-2009, 14:43
Heads have always caught me out..

Its killed every car ive owned bar the 19..

Hope it gets sorted

Purple
02-03-2009, 14:52
id rather have an engine and components in a dry heat, than in a wet climate!
We have both! Sometimes in the same afternoon! But mostly hot and humid. Dry heat is what you get in Australian summers :D

col
02-03-2009, 20:37
Wobba are you gunna have the head checked to see if its warped?

Wobba
09-03-2009, 16:53
Wobba are you gunna have the head checked to see if its warped?

I am running the car till it blows up, or does not. I keep panicking over possible HG problems and they seem to vanish of their own accord. The mayo has now dissapeared from my oil cap, but I can bet you it will be back!

It has been doing a few odd things lately, but I am putting it down to sensors for now and crossing my fingers it won't go bang.

Yes. If HG went I would have the head tested and do stem seals and clean valves etc.