PDA

View Full Version : rear brakes

kenny
27-02-2009, 20:02
Just changed son of kenny's Willy 2 rear pads. :mechanic: (amonst a few other things while he's on hol) I recon the long spring is an anti rattle device rather than a retainer, is that right? But the agro was the pads I bought, The outer pads had the small holes in the backing plate for the fixing screws, but without threads, had to find my old tap & die set and do it myself. What pads have you all bought which have these threads already cut?

Coops
27-02-2009, 20:04
just dont bother with the screws mate, always been missing in my clios and touch wood am yet to shed a pad

kenny
27-02-2009, 20:07
If it were my car Coops I wouldn't, with that sliding wedge under them I can't see them falling out.

arj256
27-02-2009, 21:44
The long spring is a retainer.
If its not fitted correctly, you could be putting out a MIA soon lol.

You don't need to bolt the rear pads into the carrier.
If you look at the modern Renaults with those calipers, all they have is the L shaped bar and the metal spring retainer.

kenny
27-02-2009, 22:14
Arj, Does each pad need a retainer? What other cars use these calipers, I need to have a look in the manual section in halfrauds to see how they are fitted.

arj256
27-02-2009, 22:22
Arj, Does each pad need a retainer? What other cars use these calipers, I need to have a look in the manual section in halfrauds to see how they are fitted.

If you've bolted in the outer pads, these will be fine without the spring retainer.
So you would only have to fit them on the piston side pads.

Pretty much most French hot hatches.
Clio 182's/Saxo Vts would be the most modern i can think of.

Dunno if picture is of help:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/arj256/Hosted%20Stuff/RearCalipers.jpg

kenny
27-02-2009, 22:37
Spot on pic thanks Arj. Can see how clips fit now. Was hooking clip over pad before fitting, made it really tight.

katbloke
27-02-2009, 22:39
still amazes me how the clips dont fall off