PDA

View Full Version : i have got the right idea here, haven't i?

geesus
25-02-2009, 15:09
so as some of you will know i am building a track car, very simply it is a 1995 M reg valver with an F4R engine and all sorts of other stuff in some sort of attempt to make it fun on track

now i bought this car for £350 (non runner) so as you can imagine it was in a bit of a sad state, and to be fair, it still is in some respects, but my reckoning is that the more money i spend on making it look nice, means the more inclined i will be to take it easy on track (for fear of binning it)

now just recently after staring at the aerosol painted quarter panel and the less than perfect paintwork (it really is shabby) i had urges to buy a mint shell and swap everything over, but i really want to use this car to push my own limits and test my own ability.

so do you think what i am doing is right? my ultimate plan was to maybe use the car as it is for a year, possibly 2, and then either move on to another track car, or reshell this one (if i havent binned it already and if the car is still enjoyable)

is this logical? this car is by no means my ultimate track car, but then it is my first track car, so i am bound to have a few offs in it arent i! and i would be gutted to bin my perfect track car through inexperience :(

your comments are appreciated :D

16v_paddy
25-02-2009, 15:30
If it's not going to be your ultimate track car I'd say don't bother making it look nice, like you said will be a proper shitter when :lol: you bin it through inexperience

Matt black hammerite applied with a brush ftw 8) then re-shell to a mint one later

Ant-Williams
25-02-2009, 15:50
I would agree use this shell to learn in, just rattle can it matt black or something. Then when the time comes move on to a new car or if you fall in love with the clio re-shell it into a mint shell and make it quicker :twisted:

richy
25-02-2009, 17:50
i left my trackcar paintwork/bodywork as it was for 2year, hammered it all the time on track and over nurburgring etc, it had paint falling off, dents/scratchs like mad, plus multi-toned black colours due to poor matchs before i got the car, eventually decided to have it repainted as it needed a arch chopping out anyway and was fairly cheap to blow it over in black again, still got some dents here n there but looks tidy now which im happy about!

still gets thrashed on track tho, not worried about chips n shit its bound to happen like lol

so for now id leave it!

stevie_b
25-02-2009, 18:56
the more inclined i will be to take it easy on track (for fear of binning it)

I presume that you've not been on track much as once the red mist descends then rational thoughts like these soon leave your mind and you give it death anyway :lol:

Seriously though, there is not much to be gained in prettying the car up if it doesn't really matter to you how it looks, as it certainly won't make it any more fun on the track. On the flip side though if you want to do some cosmetic stuff then the fact that it is a track car shouldn't completely preclude it - I've found that my body panels have stayed pretty much intact although I have blown numerous engines, fried brakes, destroyed clutches, etc. :lol: Unless you have an unlimited budget I'd spend it all on the mechanical side first as this is the stuff that will otherwise not be up to the job or will fail on you and cut your track time short.

white16valver
25-02-2009, 21:15
Keep it looking like a shitter - will be more fun when you embarrass shiny expensive cars ;) :twisted: :P :D

rob-legend
25-02-2009, 23:48
yeah, leave it crappy, it's no concourse car is it? and you'll end up not wanting to scratch your pricey new paint job, therefore end up driving like some kind of nancy :lol: and you may not end up pushing so hard and having as much fun.

geesus
26-02-2009, 12:03
cheers for the replies, made me feel alot better about its state now :D

i'm gonna cover the car in stickers anyway, mostly to hide the paintwork, but just for the laugh aswell!

yeh the clio will be my first track car, so big learning curve on the way! lol

16v_paddy
26-02-2009, 14:16
get some stickers like they had on top gear :lol: PENISton Oils & LARSEns Bisciuts :lol:

Ant-Williams
26-02-2009, 15:44
lol :lol:

white16valver
26-02-2009, 22:35
You should have one written backwards across the front of your bonnet or windscreen, so when they look in their mirrors they see:

"Brace yourself - here comes my Willy"

LOL :lol: