PDA

View Full Version : sodding oil filter !!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

antony
23-02-2009, 20:32
as you all know i finally got my first williams after 15 years of wanting one BUT IF I HAD KNOWN WHERE THE GALLIC BITCHS HAD PLONKED THE OIL FILTER I WOULDNT HAVE BOTHERED !!!!!
lol all i ask is why mr renault, why???
i had this sorta stuff with the 5turbo not only is it plonked under the inlet theres that stupid deflector under the radiator plus they ran a heater hose right over the top of it so you cant get a strap on it !!!!!
ps anyone contemplating changing theres : take your watch off first otherwise it gets stucks, you scream and swear, then your housemate comes outta the garden and laughs at you :twisted:

doug2.0
23-02-2009, 20:46
they are a bitch, my small hands and strong arms make even the hardcore ones perish tho :twisted: get some marigolds on for the extra grip and dont forget to lube the new one up

white16valver
23-02-2009, 20:58
You should be able to get at it from inbetween the front of the engine and the offside headlight - but then I'm pretty skinny ;) lol

Failing that, lie on your back and reach up from the front of the car! :P

antony
23-02-2009, 23:12
You should be able to get at it from inbetween the front of the engine and the offside headlight - but then I'm pretty skinny ;) lol

Failing that, lie on your back and reach up from the front of the car! :Pi did that !!! lol but my i bring your attention to ''im pretty skinny'' WELL IM NOT !! :D im 14odd stone and 5'8 :cry:

rob-legend
24-02-2009, 01:29
move the rad a bit :D

Wobba
24-02-2009, 02:03
I cut myself to ribbons every time on changing these.

My last one I ended up bashing a screwdriver through it and turning it. Eventually came off! They don't need to be on that tight. Just remember to oil the rubber seal a little before you put the new one on.

Danno
24-02-2009, 13:05
dont wanna tempt fate or rub it in, but I always manage easily, its a piece of piss

Flash Arghhh
24-02-2009, 14:09
My clio has solved this problem for me, it leaks oil so i can to keep refreshing the oil :( Going to fix it one day.

1995clio16v
24-02-2009, 19:22
You should be able to get at it from inbetween the front of the engine and the offside headlight

=D>

Or

you can just take the battery off/out, loads of room then, to get leverage

1995clio16v
24-02-2009, 19:23
You should be able to get at it from inbetween the front of the engine and the offside headlight

=D>

white16valver, that wasnt sarcastic btw!!!

:wink:

titcharoony
24-02-2009, 19:26
long screw driver does the trick, and unmounting slam panel and rocking the radiator forward helps a good bit i found. r5 was a bitch tod o and from underneath car seemed best, front wheel arch. clio 172 is by far the worst tho. if i see a frenchman now i punch him in the face. if i see a french kid i throw acid in their eyes.

drsmith1979
24-02-2009, 20:07
i did it by taking the bonnet off and attacking it from the front as per the 'headlight' angle...

ianbirch
24-02-2009, 20:51
I always tackle this from underneath... initially I jack the car up slightly to
give a bit more elbow room, then I use a cup filter wrench, which I make sure stays in place by putting double sided tape on the inside rim of the cup.

Once it's stuck in place you can get a T bar or socket wrench onto the cup
wrench and bobs your uncle. This method still involves a great deal
of swearing thereby keeping everybody happy.

I like the sound of the battery out method... I'll give it a try next time.
But I'm afraid if it cuts down on the swearing I shall have to go back to my
tried and trusted method. :lol:

Cheers Ian

white16valver
25-02-2009, 20:48

=D>

white16valver, that wasnt sarcastic btw!!!

:wink:
lol

It's ok, I didn't take it that it was ;) :lol:

I really didn't find the filter that hard to be honest! Sorry! lol

Having it on axle stands definitely helps as you have more room to manouvre when you're lying on your back in front of it, although the unbolting the slam panel and moving the rad forward is also an excellent idea :)

PC-PLOD
26-02-2009, 12:03
I,ve made a tool for it weld extension pieces on to a standand pump pliers type oil filter wrench from underneath its then easyish

antony
01-03-2009, 20:03
some wicked ideas guys........obviously its an annoying job.my problem was ''its only an oil filter'' so it should be easy.im quite mechanicly minded and have tackled way harder things than this so i only left myself twenty minutes of daylight to attack this but silly me didnt look where it was before draining the oil !!!!

Matty86
01-03-2009, 20:37
I have similar problems with the F4R :(

oh no wait

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z18/Matteh449/F4R/DSCF2348-1.jpg

:D :P

ianbirch
01-03-2009, 20:40
i only left myself twenty minutes of daylight to attack this but silly me didnt look where it was before draining the oil !!!!

Ah yes.... there you go, fatal school girl error. :lol:

white16valver
02-03-2009, 20:04

oh no wait

Git LoL :lol:

col
02-03-2009, 20:29
Youve heard the saying ,"swears like a trooper" well thats me that is! i was trying to get the door panel off the clio using a bread knife to break sealant.......f3********** :evil: Oh ye i was in the Kings troop as a squaddie. :lol:

col
02-03-2009, 20:32
PS ye antony ive got my oil change next............I can feel the blood risin already... :oops:

stevefesta
05-03-2009, 00:16
Am going to be doing this for the first time on my williams the weekend, really looking forward to it now!!!! :(
At least I have a few methods to try, thanks :)

bradders
10-04-2009, 21:51
and here i was, reading this thread 48hrs ago, thinking to myself "i'm sure i can do it, surely its easy enough".......................incorrect!!!

she's currently looking sorry for herself on axle stands. gonna try and crack it in the morning but at the moment the oil filter has a couple of holes in, and my next line of attack looks like it may involve taking the radiator hose off and OUT OF THE WAY! any tips? wish me luck. :lol:

col
10-04-2009, 22:19
fingers crossed buddy.......... :roll:

ianbirch
10-04-2009, 23:29
and here i was, reading this thread 48hrs ago, thinking to myself "i'm sure i can do it, surely its easy enough".......................incorrect!!!

she's currently looking sorry for herself on axle stands. gonna try and crack it in the morning but at the moment the oil filter has a couple of holes in, and my next line of attack looks like it may involve taking the radiator hose off and OUT OF THE WAY! any tips? wish me luck. :lol:

If you already have the offending vehicle on axle stands you do not need
to remove any parts.... either use a cup wrench as I suggested earlier or
a chain wrench or if you want to remove parts maybe the battery out method.... I can't vouch for this yet as I have not tried it but I think I will
next time. :)

Regards Ian

bradders
11-04-2009, 00:00
thanks, will probably perservere for an hour or so then remove radiator hose if im getting no joy.

I don't have a wrench and everywhere will be closed tomorrow? :roll:

Richardcard1974
11-04-2009, 00:40
50 quid ad kwik fit will do it with mobil 1 oil. Just make sure you supervise them as they rip their arms to shreds.

bradders
11-04-2009, 01:02
it would be enjoyable to watch

sideways danny
11-04-2009, 02:38
bunch of girls ;) MX5 is a LOT harder, makes a willy a joy to do. Filter pliers are so much better than straps or chains if you're buying tools

MatBrown
11-04-2009, 08:00
Gotta agree with you on the filter pliers.

Mat.

col
11-04-2009, 11:05
havent got the filter plyers, but have the other two with varying results..........oh an the screwdriver.

stevefesta
12-04-2009, 22:43
Looks like I got lucky, after half an hour of trying to get a chain wrench locked round it, I tried just using a rubber gloved hand in from by the headlkight and that worked :) and I'm certainly no he-man, more skeletor!!!!!

bradders
13-04-2009, 00:42
my case was more a simple job of establishing whether i was actually trying to tighten or undo the filter. after a careful evaluation, i noticed that for the whole 2-3hrs i was smashing away... i was actually doing the sodding thing up!

10minutes later and the filter was off.

col
13-04-2009, 10:35
I do that all the time at work weildin a spanner....... :D

katbloke
13-04-2009, 11:20
lol

kneesparks
14-04-2009, 14:12
I tried it once, gave up and took it to my local garage as they only charge a tenner to change oil and filter for me as long as I get the oil and filter! 8) :lol: ooh he did swear tho was quite funny to watch but they do have car lifts :P

toddjnr
14-04-2009, 18:32
i did mine the other day at work.had it on the ramp and still took the skin of my knuckles so i ended up using one of these. :lol: :lol:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31IRlqLMWrL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
and this :lol: :lol:
http://www.t4j.co.uk/images/chasing%20hammer%202.JPG
made it a hell of alot easier :D

Laine_16v
15-04-2009, 01:17
Long screw driver and a hammer is definately my method of choice. I love it when the screwdrive finally punctures the filter and it then proceeds to dribble all down your arm!

col
15-04-2009, 07:32
Todd. why the planishing hammer......a bit over the top!.... :lol:

toddjnr
15-04-2009, 18:03
Todd. why the planishing hammer......a bit over the top!.... :lol:
its the only decent pic i could find on google image :oops:

northy
15-04-2009, 20:40
I always tackle this from underneath... initially I jack the car up slightly to
give a bit more elbow room, then I use a cup filter wrench, which I make sure stays in place by putting double sided tape on the inside rim of the cup.

Once it's stuck in place you can get a T bar or socket wrench onto the cup
wrench and bobs your uncle. This method still involves a great deal
of swearing thereby keeping everybody happy.

I like the sound of the battery out method... I'll give it a try next time.
But I'm afraid if it cuts down on the swearing I shall have to go back to my
tried and trusted method. :lol:

Cheers Ian

no swearing for me but without a few cuts you dont feel like you have done anything.

My way is to lay down and get the filter from under the car - hand up the front of the engine between the rad. once loosened lower it down with your hand.

number1
15-04-2009, 22:37

oh no wait

Git LoL :lol:

WE will just laugh at you matty when you go to change your Sparkplugs :D

Matty86
15-04-2009, 22:39
pshhh.. couple of 10mm nuts and some plugs.. easy :D

ianbirch
15-04-2009, 23:15
[/quote]no swearing for me but without a few cuts you dont feel like you have done anything.

My way is to lay down and get the filter from under the car - hand up the front of the engine between the rad. once loosened lower it down with your hand.[/quote]

What!!!.... no swearing, call yourself a Williams fan... can't be, not without
plenty of swearing.

Cheers E

Richardcard1974
23-04-2009, 20:09
I bought a filter wrench from machine mart for 10 quid at the weekend, and it took me less than a minute to remove the filter with no cuts. Reach acroos the engine from the far side, perfect fit, squeeze and shes off.

One of the best tools ive ever bought.

northy
23-04-2009, 20:45
once its been serviced by yourself once i always find they come off alot easier than the garage tightness.

Bloody wheel bolts are tightened so tight by garages im shocked!

ianbirch
24-04-2009, 11:11
once its been serviced by yourself once i always find they come off alot easier than the garage tightness.

Bloody wheel bolts are tightened so tight by garages im shocked!

It's a conspiracy to make your average punter come back to the garage
and also so you can't fix a puncture yourself. :x