PDA

View Full Version : Wiring in HID lights?

white16valver
23-02-2009, 16:51
Ok, this is a potentially dumb question, but as I've got the ones that Daz got from the group buy, I'm figuring others will have had the same issues and hopefully know what to do... :oops: lol

I have 2 x ballast packs, 2 x bulbs, but then only one wiring loom thing.

Assuming I mount the loom by the battery so the live cable reaches the terminals, and mount the ballasts underneath the headlights perhaps...

how have others wired the really long wire that stretches over to the offside ballast pack?

On top of the slam panel?

Cabletied it underneath it?

Will the heat from the rad kill it?

I'm also assuming that once you've got the ballast packs wired in, you only connect the 3-spade connector thing to the original nearside connector and leave the offside one just hanging loose??

Thanks in advance all :oops:

white16valver
23-02-2009, 16:52
Oh, and best point for the negative cables to fix too?!

Coops
23-02-2009, 19:19
spade connector to earth strap on the passenger side of the slam panel that the battery earth goes to, simple unbolt/rebolt job

live to battery direct

spade connector to the headlight plug on passenger side, as u correctly assume other one is left loose

take front bumper off, and headlights out, route long cable with the o/e loom thats clipped to the front cross member, fits lovely, and velcro/stick somehow the ballasts under the headlights

done

white16valver
23-02-2009, 20:44
Ah cool, cheers very much! :D

I had guessed as much about the earthing point but just wanted to check lol

Will get onto fitting this later this week :)

Daz.
23-02-2009, 21:16
My old ones were tied with the renault loom that runs that way anyway - if you take the front grill off and the headlights you'll see it just behind the top of the bumper - I figured if it was safe for the oe loom its safe enough for them!

white16valver
23-02-2009, 21:55
Sweet :)

Pics will follow at some point!

Ant-Williams
25-02-2009, 14:03
Want to get some HID's for mine. Wheres the best place to get them from and does the HID do dip and full beam or just dip? Sorry for stupid question but not sure lol :oops:

white16valver
25-02-2009, 21:05
The ones on the group buy were Hi-Lo's i.e. a little thing in the bulb moved the actual 'filament' in and out to give you dipped and main.

You can also get versions with HID low beam and a normal bulb for High beam, but I think these wouldn't be as good lol

Ant-Williams
26-02-2009, 00:03
ahh cool yea would want ones tht do both, wheres the best place to get them from?

white16valver
26-02-2009, 22:29
See if you can find the group buy thing - they were much cheaper than ebay for the hi/lo's!

Might be able to get them at a similar price but might not be possible for only the one kit :(

Ant-Williams
27-02-2009, 13:17
Yea was after 2 kits anyways so willhave a look.

Cheers Ant

cliokiz
27-02-2009, 13:37
I'd like a kit, too.

Ant-Williams
27-02-2009, 14:49
Would some one sort out another group buy or is the otehr 1 still running?

Cheers Ant

white16valver
02-03-2009, 19:53
Pass - could be worth doing a second round! :)