PDA

View Full Version : I/R receiver

Flash Arghhh
22-02-2009, 14:12
I'm having trouble unlocking my car with the key, i have stand next to the car with the key at the window and press the button about 20 times before it does unlock.
I've given the batteries a rub which made the LED light brighter (good tip instead of changing the batteries). I've also changed the batteries just to make sure.

I'm thinking of getting a new alarm when I get some funds, but as for the time being this is doing my head in.

Are they just sh1te or is there away to improve the receiver?

Cheers,
Flash

busterhymes
22-02-2009, 14:53
before u spend your hard earned or till u got ur funds sorted for new alarm worth takin key fob apart and careful inspecting the solder joint they have a habit of fracturing if all sound there and battery good then carefully remove i/r and inspect they can suffer from corrosion due to leaking around aerial if its affected careful clean up with a stiff bristle brush not nylon potential of static damage check the i/r unit over for the same as the fob/key i found joints on the receiver leds (3) fractured once soldered up all worked fine and i had same prob as u hope this helps have to say fairly common prob on this car and as a precaution changing the aerial base will help to stop water ****in up all ur good work :) :)

Flash Arghhh
22-02-2009, 15:10
Just had a look at the joints and they seem okay, the solder on the diodes is a bit dull.
I'll give them some fresh solder when i'm at work, (i work in electronics hehe).
Cheers

Flash Arghhh
22-02-2009, 15:16
Also tested the key diode (transmitter) and that seems to be fine. (As a tip to anyone you can see this by looking at the key though your phones camera and press the button on the key).

busterhymes
22-02-2009, 15:42
where do you work m8 used work for Pioneer in castleford for a few years :) :)

Flash Arghhh
22-02-2009, 15:44
SpaceKraft at Shipley. We do interactive products for special needs.

Wobba
22-02-2009, 16:30
The area where the aerial pokes through can sometimes leak. It can cause corrosion in the plug section of the interior lights and I/R unit. Easy to remove and check, but disconnect battery first.

1995clio16v
22-02-2009, 18:26
I'm having trouble unlocking my car with the key, i have stand next to the car with the key at the window and press the button about 20 times before it does unlock.
I've given the batteries a rub which made the LED light brighter (good tip instead of changing the batteries). I've also changed the batteries just to make sure.

I'm thinking of getting a new alarm when I get some funds, but as for the time being this is doing my head in.

Are they just sh1te or is there away to improve the receiver?

Cheers,
Flash

Ive had plenty of experience with this.

Do you have a phase 1 or phase 2 16v?

Likely hood is that the aerial or seal on your sunroof is leaking causing it to play up.

If it gets to the point where it actually wont connect i.e the fob to the i/r then it will need taking to renault to have the key and ecu coded. You wont be able to start the car if its the phase 2 as the i/r needs to be deactivated with the fob. Ive had this happen to me before, stuck in the middle of noweher and couldnt disarm the car to start it (phase2 models only this applied to)

Therefore you have 2 options really

Put a phase 1 ecu on (means you will have no remote locking), but means that even if the sunroof is cocking the i/r up you will still be able to start the car

OR

Get an after market alarm fitted

The latter would be my 1st choice.

Most of the above I have explained really only applies to the phase2 models and their STUPID alarm/immobiliser set up!

:D

Flash Arghhh
22-02-2009, 20:26
I've had an issue with the ECU before and swapped it, but still have remote central locking. Its a phase 1 clio with a phase 1 ECU.
I'll give the aerial a clean and a coat of silly-c**t to seal it up and report back.
Its just an intermitant problem. Damn the french.

Its had an alarm fitted before I believe, not sure of the make but had two buttons on the dash (left a nice hole) and i alarm siren sized bracket on the strut tower.
Cheers

jh_16v
27-02-2009, 22:18
Just out of interest, did you solve this problem?

My car suffers from the same every odd day, mainly when in a hurry lol

Flash Arghhh
28-02-2009, 13:08
I've yet to refresh the solder (had the week off work) so i'll do it asap (relocating the battery to the boot so could be a bit longer.
The french are still new to electrics haha

Brealbags
28-02-2009, 18:00
i have a spare i/r reciever if anyone wants. I ended up buying a new one from renault to try and solve my problem but its still the same.

With mine you have to point the key right at the i/r through the window or it wont pick up a signal.

On the newer models like 's' reg its a radio signal so works better then infra red.

Flash Arghhh
01-03-2009, 12:58
i have a spare i/r reciever if anyone wants. I ended up buying a new one from renault to try and solve my problem but its still the same.

With mine you have to point the key right at the i/r through the window or it wont pick up a signal.

On the newer models like 's' reg its a radio signal so works better then infra red.

Could you swap it for a radio signal one?

Also does anyone think its because i have a phase one ECU on?

Flash Arghhh
15-03-2009, 17:45
Just out of interest, did you solve this problem?

My car suffers from the same every odd day, mainly when in a hurry lol

Just tried it and it works alot better, i can now stand a meter from my back window and unlock it.

I also put some solder on the connecter to thicken it up a bit and make a better contact to the plug