PDA

View Full Version : AST solid strut top mounts

geesus
17-02-2009, 15:11
right, writing this for the second time as my internet connection had a fit the first time :roll:

For anyone who wants information on the AST strut top mounts as fitted to my car.....

they are made by AST and distributed by Powerstation

http://www.powerstation.org.uk/

the contact at Powerstation is Curtis who is a really nice guy to deal with, however, he is a mechanic with a phone, not a sales advisor. so if he doesnt answer the phone or takes more than a few minutes to answer your email just bear with him.

right the top mounts themselves:

here are a few pics of them fitted, and dis-assembled (sp?)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y105/geesus69/clio/Photo0124.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y105/geesus69/clio/Photo0129.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y105/geesus69/clio/Photo0131.jpg

as you can see the strut top is off centre to allow for camber adjustment, this is done by turning the strut top until the desired angle is found

They require no drilling of the strut tower and can easily be removed and returned to standard if necessary

one thing you will need to note is that they may require machining to fit depending on what suspension you are using. I use FK coilovers and had to have them machnined to suit, it all depends on the design of the strut insert. Powerstation can and will machine them as part of the purchase price, you just need to tell them what suspension make and model it is to suit.

I think that is everything

Keep your eye on cliosport as there may well be another group buy happening soon

enjoy :D

Wobba
17-02-2009, 15:33
You forgot price :D

Can you set them to be standard camber?

Would they need anything to set them up for AVO's?

geesus
17-02-2009, 16:16
i didnt quote price as i got them on a group by and didnt want people getting the wrong figure into their head

but on the group buy they were £125.35 exactly 8)

as far as i know (without the use of any gauging equipment) they can be set to standard camber (i cant tell on mine as my FK's have a natural bit of camber on them anyway)

you would need to tell them they are to fit avo's in order for Curtis to work it if any machning needs doing

i also would advise have the suspension set up properly after fitting them to ensure both sides are the same, of course this is all up to you :lol:

jay s
17-02-2009, 17:43
other than camber adjustment what other benifits do they offer over the std mounts?

MAXIBOY
17-02-2009, 17:53
more secure location...

white16valver
17-02-2009, 19:10
Is there risk of extra stress on the mounting points with those?

bendee
17-02-2009, 19:52
was going to get these for mine, would of looked so good in my bay :(

Evogone
17-02-2009, 20:52
i didnt quote price as i got them on a group by and didnt want people getting the wrong figure into their head

but on the group buy they were £125.35 exactly 8)

as far as i know (without the use of any gauging equipment) they can be set to standard camber (i cant tell on mine as my FK's have a natural bit of camber on them anyway)

you would need to tell them they are to fit avo's in order for Curtis to work it if any machning needs doing

i also would advise have the suspension set up properly after fitting them to ensure both sides are the same, of course this is all up to you :lol:

125.35 For the pair ??? how much normally ?

When the next group buy ?

stew
17-02-2009, 21:21
look good, but id be worried if ur assembled pic shows the strut top nut done up tightly, dont seem many threads. seems like a weak point imo!

katbloke
17-02-2009, 21:55
look good, but id be worried if ur assembled pic shows the strut top nut done up tightly, dont seem many threads. seems like a weak point imo!

Id say it looks just slightly spun on

northy
17-02-2009, 22:23
Right will sort a group buy and get them in lads.

will contact the guy tomorrow to see if i can get any discounts

stevie_b
18-02-2009, 00:44
You can count me in please northy.

geesus
18-02-2009, 11:39
Evogone - yep thats the price for the pair, sorry dont know prices out of the group buy

Stew - no they are on tight (could do with a nip from a proper airgun though) i rang Curtis about that as i thought there should be some thread protruding out the top. He said that is fine, as long as the nut is on 2 or more threads it is secure, mine are on 3 threads with 3 left over, with his suspension knowledge i wasn't going to disagree with him!

please guys any other technical questions you will really need to ask Curtis, i didn't design the bloomin' things lol

But lets face it AST are hardly a mickey mouse operation, i trust the product and i trust Curtis when he tells me they are good.

please bear in mind that i havent and won't be able to drive the car for a fair while yet so i cant comment on what they do to the ride/handling

i also asked curtis about that, he was very confident that after the testing done on the mk2 the top mounts would perform as desired on the mk1

i'm not trying to sell them to you all, just after realising there was a gap in the market for solid mk1 top mounts i thought i might do you a favour and post up what i have found after i took the initial risk.

stevie_b
18-02-2009, 11:41
i'm not trying to sell them to you all, just after realising there was a gap in the market for solid mk1 top mounts i thought i might do you a favour and post up what i have found after i took the initial risk.

Indeed, and many thanks for that, it is much appreciated.

geesus
18-02-2009, 11:42
no problems fella :D

Evogone
18-02-2009, 18:36
Im in but would have thought you need more than 2 / 3 threads purchase.

Can not remeber the equation but im sure the dia of the thread in relation to pitch of thread to ensure robust fitment would require more than just 2/3 threads....doesnt seem to touch any nyloc you would have at the top of the nut.

Anyways.

stew
18-02-2009, 20:32
thanks for the info geesus. wasnt meaning to have a go or anything like that, was just trying to point out some thoughts of mine. share the knowledge and all that. :wink: hope i didnt offend.

im defo interested in these, roll on the group buy. :twisted:

cliokongen
18-02-2009, 21:21
If they can be machined to fit Leda'a - count me in for the group buy Northy.....

Michael

stevie_b
18-02-2009, 23:34
I'm another one that needs them to fit with Ledas.

rob-legend
19-02-2009, 00:11
avo's please :wink:

sideways danny
19-02-2009, 03:03
fitted a couple of sets of these to 172s now, they're the bollocks. Will fit anything a standard top mount will fit :) I prefer to use these top mounts for castor adjustment, and use the bottom holes on the strut for camber, but each to their own :)

geesus
19-02-2009, 11:16
Evogone- again that's a question for Curtis, as i say i did ask him as i wasn't sure when i fitted them, he said ideally the strut insert should protrude out the top, but its not imperative, just said as long as it is wound on 2 to 3 threads (there are 6 on the nut) it will be fine, he said just to put some threadlock on aswell, its only information i am passing on, anything technical should be put to him

stew - no no mate i'm not offended, i was just making sure people understood i'm not the designer nor the seller of these top mounts, and so when people start asking about the function of them i cannot answer accurately

as i said i had the exact same reservations as everyone else about the amount of thread wound on, but a quick phone call to Curtis and my mind was put at ease.

Dan@Gdi - cheers for the comments, good to have a bit of professional input. And thats a very good point about the adjustment, i'm going to have the suspension set up properly once the car is ready for the road, so will see what setting they recommend, needless to say the top mounts will simplify the adjustment no end!

Ant-Williams
25-02-2009, 12:57
These look ace :shock: would be very interested if there is a group buy providing funds allow. Apart from adjustability what else will these do for the clios handling?
Ant

Evogone
25-02-2009, 13:36
Right will sort a group buy and get them in lads.

will contact the guy tomorrow to see if i can get any discounts

Any news ?

white16valver
25-02-2009, 21:04
Will these stop the problem of the standard ones 'popping up' away from the turret?

Mine were fine but a recent pothole incident seems to have moved them away from the turret by about 1cm :roll: :?

Ant-Williams
26-02-2009, 12:46
The more i look at these the more i want them :) any news on the possible group buy?

Cheers Ant

rob-legend
23-03-2009, 19:21
Will these stop the problem of the standard ones 'popping up' away from the turret?

Mine were fine but a recent pothole incident seems to have moved them away from the turret by about 1cm :roll: :?

are these avo's you're talking about? because i'd like to know if it'd stop that.

also......whats going on with this northy?

Adi82
24-03-2009, 23:24
I will be interested if they will fit H&R coilovers!!

rob-legend
28-03-2009, 12:53
no then :lol: