PDA

View Full Version : Steering Rack Issue

Flash Arghhh
15-02-2009, 20:03
Ey Up,
Just done a search and i couldn't find anything for my problem (only checked the first 3 pages).
I've been changing bits on my car which involved removing the hubs, and i came across this issue.

The drivers side steering arm/rod is stiff (I can move it about and it will stay there) but on the passenger side its loose, (I can move it but it will just flop back down).
Its power steering btw.

So this is what i would like to know:

Which side is correct, should it be loose or stiff?
Is it an issue?
If it is an issue, can i repair it or is it a new rack?

Cheers

stevie_b
15-02-2009, 20:37
The ball joints on the track rods start off stiff when they are new. After use the joint frees up and they get floppy. Sounds like you have a very new one on one side and a less new one on the other. Neither is necessarily an issue but what you don't want is any sloppiness in the joint. If you tug on the rod there should not be any free play there, other than allowing the rod to articulate through various angles. If there is play then you need to purchase a new rod. They are not particularly expensive but are quite difficult to get to with the rack still on the car (access issues, I believe) - I changed mine with the rack off and it is quite an easy job then.

Flash Arghhh
15-02-2009, 20:39
Right o i'll give it a good tug in a bit.
The engine has to come out again anyway.
Thanks very much :D

stevie_b
15-02-2009, 20:45
Yes, if the engine is out then you shouldn't have much trouble getting to the rack. I'd just remove it as the old joints can be quite tricky to unscrew so it's easier if you can just bung the whole lot in a vice to keep one side steady whilst you work on the rod with a wrench. There are some little discs that lock the new rod in place that you should get when you buy the new rod. When removing you need to first 'overcome' this disc, but once you have got it going past that it should unwind pretty easily.

Wobba
16-02-2009, 01:36
The 'little discs' are locking washers and they are the only pain with changing track rods. Once you have them moving though its no probs from there.

You'll get new locking washers with a track rod.

My old ones were quite sloppy. The new ones added a lot of feel to the steering. I replaced both at same time.

white16valver
16-02-2009, 11:08
http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=339473

:)