PDA

View Full Version : Track Rods / Tie Rods - advice on changing them?

white16valver
12-02-2009, 14:16
Ok, another 'How do you...' post from me... :oops: lol :lol:

Sorry! :oops:

Basically I now have the replacement tie/track rods from EuroCarParts and I want to get them fitted. I have access to a ramp so that will solve a lot of issues :)

BUT... I had a look at them last week while it was on said ramp and we were changing my rear discs/bearings, and I really can't see how I'm going to get a wrench thing onto the rack end of the ones that are already on there :?

The subframe appears to be in the way! :shock:

Even turning the wheels to one side / removing them, I can't see how I can get a wrench into the tiiiiny gaps between the subframe and everything else that is there, and even if I can there appears to be about 5 degrees of movement to lever the wrench in...

How has everyone else done theirs'?? (wobba? eternalife? I'm looking at you lol)

Assuming I can get to the rack end and get them off, should I buy replacement gaitors?
And grease? (does it need it?)

How do I know when the new ones are on tight - do I risk damaging the locking washers if I tighten them too much? (Is that even possible??)

And has anyone got pictures of the breathing hose thing that is a b!tch to fit back on? lol

Sorry for all the questions - I just don't want to get halfway through and then be screwed :oops: :( lol

stevie_b
12-02-2009, 15:32
I changed mine recently but rack was off the car so probably not much help to you, I'm afraid. Rods were fairly stiff so using a vice helped a lot so doing it off the car certainly made it much easier. I have a manual rack now so even if it was all on the car I think I'd take the rack off to do it, but not sure how feasible that is with a PAS rack and all those pipes all over the place?!?!

katbloke
12-02-2009, 17:25
i wonder if it would be easier to remove the rack to do this, plus you get all new p/s fluid too

Wobba
12-02-2009, 18:09
Brute force and heat.

You can use a short stilson wrench on the ends to force the locking washer, or a good set of mole grips (an awesome multi-purpose tool, for REAL men!) can fit in quite nice, bigger the better as you get more torque, but space in that area is a luxury.

Remove wheel, steering lock to max to expose the end more. Obviously take the gaitors off noting the location of the breather pipe. You can get the wrench on at an angle. Use heat if you need help but dont use anything too harsh and turn the area into a melting pot. Standard throwaway blowtorch is fine, but it maybe an idea to cover the pipes or other sensitive areas with a wet cloth.

All you want to do really is make that lockin washer take some punishment. Once thats started to loosen up, you're away!

Just make sure you put the new locking washers on when replacing the track rods!!!

You'll see how shit and loose your old rods are compared to the new ones. The new ones should be very hard to move on the balljoint compared to the old ones :)

Make sure you put the track rod ends on the right way as well...if not you'll never get the car tracking right.

white16valver
12-02-2009, 18:25
lol I've noted the markings so hopefully I won't get them on the wrong sides :oops: :lol:

I think I'm going to have to get new gaitors (I'm still not sure how they actually go on :oops: - how on earth does the narrow end go on without splitting the tie rod and track rod??) and then get the old zip ties off the rack end of the existing ones and see how much room I have...

Really not sure it's going to be easy but then what is :roll: lol

katbloke
12-02-2009, 18:31
ok another question who on their williams has use the ones from euro car parts and what feedback can you give?

Wobba
12-02-2009, 19:13
lol I've noted the markings so hopefully I won't get them on the wrong sides :oops: :lol:

I think I'm going to have to get new gaitors (I'm still not sure how they actually go on :oops: - how on earth does the narrow end go on without splitting the tie rod and track rod??) and then get the old zip ties off the rack end of the existing ones and see how much room I have...

Really not sure it's going to be easy but then what is :roll: lol

To get the gaitors on, simply undo the track rod ends and put the gaitors on from that end.

I have ECP track rod ends. They are fine.

stevie_b
12-02-2009, 20:30
I think I'm going to have to get new gaitors (I'm still not sure how they actually go on :oops: - how on earth does the narrow end go on without splitting the tie rod and track rod??)

Gaitor fitment tips posted in your previous thread: http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31126

white16valver
13-02-2009, 12:47
Cool, well remembered :oops: lol :D

Now I've got the parts it's easier to visualise what I need to do!

Wobba
13-02-2009, 14:49
YOU CAN DO EEEET!

white16valver
13-02-2009, 17:06
I'll let you know... ;) LoL :lol:

white16valver
16-02-2009, 15:54
Ok, are these what I need??

(GSF) R43072 S/RACK GAITER-POWER/PAIR CLIO 6.70

Or the second ones of these?

(ECP) Q-DRIVE n/a 612745001 RACK GAITER R5 SUPER R19 R21 CLIO CLIO EXTRA MEGANE TWINGO
NO POWER STEERING £6.70
(ECP) SASIC n/a 612745031 RACK GAITER (PAIR X2) RENAULT W/O POWER STEERING (PAIR X2)
WITH POWER STEERING £6.60

They seem remarkably cheap (for a change lol)

Wobba
16-02-2009, 16:28
My gaitors were fine so I didn't bother. Other's will know.

white16valver
06-01-2010, 17:25
Just to update on this thread...

Had this done late 2009 (finally lol)

Best thing ever!!

Get them done if you need them done!! :D

Wobba
07-01-2010, 10:43
Just to update on this thread...

Had this done late 2009 (finally lol)

Best thing ever!!

Get them done if you need them done!! :D

Yay!

northy
07-01-2010, 11:29
did you manage yourself ?

Was going to post up - passenger side is easiest - drivers hardest. Do as wobba's guide.

Hardest bit is getting the gaitor boots over the rack.

white16valver
07-01-2010, 13:32
did you manage yourself ?

Was going to post up - passenger side is easiest - drivers hardest. Do as wobba's guide.

Hardest bit is getting the gaitor boots over the rack.
lol I wish!!

Got it done locally for just over a ton for the labour - well worth it!!

There's a special tool apparently, which makes getting them off a lot easier :)

northy
07-01-2010, 13:53
is there - can u tell me what the tool is ?

Matty86
07-01-2010, 17:05
:o

I've just asked this over on c16v as i fancy changing my valver arms to williams ones!

details of the tools needed ;)

white16valver
12-01-2010, 20:07
Ok, I'll see if I can get a picture of it!

I think it might just be a C-Spanner, if that's the name?? I'm sure that was what he called it... Will find out!

white16valver
10-02-2010, 20:25
Link to my other thread on this, for my future reference :P

http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31126&