PDA

View Full Version : Replacement radiators - which is best?

white16valver
12-02-2009, 14:07
Ok, I've been looking at doing a complete cooling overhaul as my heater matrix is so blocked I have 'Cold' or 'Freezing' as my only options on the heating front :roll: :lol: and, helpfully, the missus's dad topped my GSF Type D coolant up with some blue shit the other day :evil:

So, ignoring the previous posts about rads and trying to pin down the answer for certain, my questions are...

Which of these is the best rad to get? (Taken from edde's post in the Parts Guide section)

- VALEO RADIATOR CLIO 2.0 WILLIAMS S/S TO 203745411 £85.50 (part number 203745410)

- VALEO RADIATOR CLIO 2.0 WILLIAMS £83.64 (part number 203745411)

- RADIATOR CLIO MK1 16V £86.00 (part number R17398)

Where are the top two in the list from? (I know the 3rd one is a GSF part number.)

Is the top one of the list stainless steel and the second one not, but the same design?

Is there a difference between the 16v and willy rads?

Should I get one of the aluminium rads off ebay?

And...

How urgently do I need to drain the blue shit out of my system?

Has anyone got a mint secondhand one? ;) lol

Thanks for your help, all 8)

eternalife
15-02-2009, 14:21
Blue coolant - not a problem.

The 2 rads with similar part numbers - only two variants I have seen on mk1 clio rads is some have been 'black' in appearance and some 'silver'.

I have a spare MINT radiator / willy fan / shroud etc.

white16valver
16-02-2009, 10:41
Cool, cheers for the reply :)

I may take you up on the willy rad etc, if I can get the cash together!

Wobba
16-02-2009, 10:58
Isn't mixing type d and type c an issue though?

white16valver
16-02-2009, 11:12
I have to say, I thought it was, hence I asked!

eternalife
16-02-2009, 15:57
Type C? Whats that?

Wobba
16-02-2009, 16:29
Type C? Whats that?

Blue GSF stuff is.

eternalife
16-02-2009, 20:51
Type C? Whats that?

Blue GSF stuff is.

How does that affect TypeD coolant if mixed?

eternalife
16-02-2009, 20:56
To quote Dr. Paul Fritz, senior
coolants technologist for
ChevronTexaco Products Co.,
“Nothing bad will happen” when two
brand-name coolants with different
corrosion inhibitor technologies are
mixed. By this he means that no
sludge will form, there will be no
damaging chemical reactions and the
coolant will still carry heat and protect
against freezing.

Wobba
18-02-2009, 18:08
Excellent! I think I need a new rad too :(

white16valver
19-02-2009, 13:55
More bloody money :roll: but if what matt(?) said at the ace cafe meet up is true (that he has to turn his down from full hot as it's too hot to bear!) then new rad and heater matrix is a good thing in my book... lol

Wobba
19-02-2009, 16:07
More bloody money :roll: but if what matt(?) said at the ace cafe meet up is true (that he has to turn his down from full hot as it's too hot to bear!) then new rad and heater matrix is a good thing in my book... lol

I think mine is full of sludge. I am going to take it off this weekend and check. I've got some new pipes, new thermostat, new rad sensor and wiring and an aux water pump to go on and special gold bolts for my thermo housing. May as well do the radiator at the same time and give the system a major 24 hour hose-pipe flush!

That was probably Matt Wills you spoke too :)

white16valver
19-02-2009, 17:05
Nah, it was other matt - matt wills has the trophy, doesn't he? I think this was matt with the 172 conversion? :)

With the rad, if you've not done it before you'll be amazed how much crap comes out lol

Flush it alternating directions with a hosepipe and stuff will keep coming out for ages!

As a thought, will sealing the ends up and putting petrol in it break more of the crap off?

Have fun getting the thermostat off without rounding the bolts :roll: LoL :lol:

Matty86
19-02-2009, 22:01
was me! :p

and yeh, i normally have the right side vent aimed at my hand on the steering wheel, but with the new matrix it burns! :shock:

but then i have an almost new rad and all my pipes are clean and clear of crap .. and my engine has been rebuilt, so my cooling system is in good nick!

Matty86
19-02-2009, 22:02
as for the thermostat bolts, I'm doing my valvers thermostat when it arrives... but I bought a new set of bolts and washer from Renault...;)

they've changed the design from a torx head to a hex head!

Wobba
19-02-2009, 22:57
Yep they have changed the bolt design.

I did my valvers rad, as you can read in Project Wobba. I flushed it for two hours before I got bored and said enoughs enough. Still had some bits flaoting out though. I tend to partly fill it, block one end and shake the crap out of it side to side and up and down.

Great fun!

white16valver
20-02-2009, 14:04
lol

I think the change in bolt design is probably a good plan :)

re: the shaking the rad thing, would the petrol thing I suggested work better? I know it's good for getting grease etc off stuff :)

Wobba
20-02-2009, 14:35
The old torx bolts sucked and I rounded off several before...

As for petrol, I dunno, but I think my plan is too employ Calgon, as if that wont shift it, no-one can :)

white16valver
20-02-2009, 21:05
lol!

I hadn't thought of that :P