PDA

View Full Version : Time for a change

16v_paddy
08-02-2009, 12:25
I've decided it's time for a change :?

I've carefully looked at my finances and realised that if I sell up and ditch the engine rebuild project :shock: I'll easily be able to afford a Trophy :D

So thats the plan, I'll put a for sale thread soon, it's gonna take a while for me to write it up :oops: blame piss poor typing skills for that :oops:

1995clio16v
08-02-2009, 12:41
Disgaree mate.

After all the work you have put in!?

The depreciation on a trophy mate over the next couple of years will be frightening Im sure, a bit of a waste of money IMO.

Maybe wait for another 12 months...?

Phase2/Mark2 172's (whatever it is, the one after bug eye) have come down ridiculously in price over the last 12months, so many sub 3K now.

I know trophy is limited edition etc, not that well up on them, but theres no way theyll hold their price surely?

But if you have itchy feet!

:cry:

bendee
08-02-2009, 12:51
id keep with yours mate youve put plenty of work in wait for the prices to settle ive seena trophy on ph for 6k thats half the price i saw them for the year before. also saw a 172 cup for 2.8k id play it safe with one of them if im honest.
the trophy is a awsome car was just lacking a lsd if it had one itd of been better than the dc2, id personally wait for them to get at the price where they wont drop no more. enjoy yours for abit longer

col
08-02-2009, 12:52
Ye sh...t go for it i reckon what ever you choose itll be a goodun :wink:

FATBOY
08-02-2009, 13:00
get a subaru and be done with it! that will be my next move if i ever sell! must be a 2 door P1 tho! none of this 4 door family saloon stuff!!!!!

Coops
08-02-2009, 13:01
muppet

FATBOY
08-02-2009, 13:02
muppet

who coops??? moi??? :?

Coops
08-02-2009, 13:09
erm, no, lee for snubbing the mk1's, he'll regret it and he knows it :wink:

16v_paddy
08-02-2009, 13:14
I've been reading up on the depreciation on the trophys and they're at the bottom of their depreciation curve, so not really going to lose much more value in the next few years and now is the time to buy, recession & all that shit :roll:

A 172 cup just isn't special enough to get rid of mine for it. I see williams' are holding value quite well and trophies are a hell of a lot more exclusive, so I can't see them dropping by much more

I've stuck with my valver as it was the best thing I could afford and I made it special and I do love it to bits, but the big thing for me now, is that I can afford a much much better car, and prices are so low at the minuite I'd be stupid not to consider it

FATBOY
08-02-2009, 13:14
oooooooooooooh you posted 1 minute after i posted! lol yeah i would never go the mark 2 route! mark 1 or nothing!

talkingfish
08-02-2009, 14:06
that article in EVO mag is quite revealing on what your money can buy.. they reckon £3.5k for a good Willy 1 which is about right at the moment...

16v_paddy
08-02-2009, 14:33

I'm not snubbing the Mk1's :roll: just trading up for something better that I wont regret.

I'll be back with a Mk1 soon enough, but it'll purely be a slagged out plaything :twisted:

Jamie.
08-02-2009, 15:57
I TOLD YOU SO. I SAID YOU WOULD SELL IT AND IT WOULD BE A WASTE!

16v_paddy
08-02-2009, 17:25
I TOLD YOU SO. I SAID YOU WOULD SELL IT AND IT WOULD BE A WASTE!

:lol: I wouldn't consider it a waste, I've done what I wanted with the car & it's time to move on

Jamie.
08-02-2009, 18:37
It would only be a waste I suppose if you have spent more on it than you can get back after it being wrote off........................

Matty86
08-02-2009, 18:54
mk2 engine in a mk1 ftw!

Coops
08-02-2009, 19:45

I'm not snubbing the Mk1's :roll: just trading up for something better that I wont regret.

I'll be back with a Mk1 soon enough, but it'll purely be a slagged out plaything :twisted:

erm, better on what grounds, its more like the peugoet you fell in love with? :P :wink:

bill.
09-02-2009, 00:12
mk2 engine in a mk1 is very good in my books!

yep............agreed on that one, i'm sure within the next couple of years there will be a few mk1's with 172/182 engines knocking about, well worth a buy or even better 20v turbo's :twisted:

at least thats what i'm hoping for.

16v_paddy
09-02-2009, 09:12
erm, better on what grounds, its more like the peugoet you fell in love with? :P :wink:

:? you've lost me there coops :?

J o n
09-02-2009, 09:29
don't listen to this lot Paddy, the Trophy will be a great change for you. Imo it's a better car overall, more reliable, no rusting issues, comfier, newer, better built... I used to hate the Mk2's, but have to admit they have grown on me. The 172 isn't as fun as the Williams, or least it wasn't, but decent set of coilovers and all the fun and NONE of the hassle.

16v_paddy
09-02-2009, 10:25
I still don't like the Mk2's as they're common as dog shit :roll: I see so many about it's boring, but a trophy is something a bit special 8) same rarity as willy's & valvers since I hardly see many of them around either

As I said above, I never thought I'd be able to afford a trophy so never even considered it :oops: either way I was only eber going to sell my valver to get a car that's limited in numbers, been looking at willy's but realised for a bit more money I can have something newer, more exclusive, better built and just as much fun :twisted:

J o n
09-02-2009, 10:39
dunno about more exclusive... there was less Ph1's in total that there are Williams, but wouldn't really call them exclusive. Trophy will still be just 'another' 182 when talked about in a few years time. Personally I'd get a 182 in a decent colour that has recaros lol

Jamie.
09-02-2009, 11:02
dunno about more exclusive... there was less Ph1's in total that there are Williams, but wouldn't really call them exclusive. Trophy will still be just 'another' 182 when talked about in a few years time. Personally I'd get a 182 in a decent colour that has recaros lol

Yeh, spot on.

I would just get a 182 FF with Cup packs & poss Reccaros if you can find one as getting them s/h is very expensive.

Just ask Richy what he thinks of his!

J o n
09-02-2009, 11:06
in addition those Sachs dampers can easily be trumped by a set of AST's. Oil filled is good if you go rallying, but a bit of a waste of time... even though I have remote dampers on mine lol

richy
09-02-2009, 11:36
I still don't like the Mk2's as they're common as dog s**t :roll: I see so many about it's boring, but a trophy is something a bit special 8) same rarity as willy's & valvers since I hardly see many of them around either

As I said above, I never thought I'd be able to afford a trophy so never even considered it :oops: either way I was only eber going to sell my valver to get a car that's limited in numbers, been looking at willy's but realised for a bit more money I can have something newer, more exclusive, better built and just as much fun :twisted:

a trophy maybe limited run but its still a 182 model, with only a few difference to a normal 182, so certainly not a special car imo

i could of bought a trophy but decided on a 182 ff/cup pack, had it 2 year wihtout any issues and very rare i see any others around here tbh, plus as jamie and jon said you can get the seats for the 182 anyway and so many suspension kits out there too.

Tullyvernon
09-02-2009, 11:53
I was set on a rb 182ff before I bought the Trophy. I am so glad i went for the Trophy instead. It is so much fun and the handling is unreal on the road for a standard car, and i think it realy suits the backroads round here, surely there is coilovers better but as i never be on track im happy with the sachs.

The only other option i have thought of after was going for a 172cup and with the change and abit more getting itb's, coileys, and brakes. they can be got realy cheap now and are lighter.

J o n
09-02-2009, 12:11
how much more expensive is a Trophy than a regular 182 then? If it's anything more than a grand I'd just spend the difference on some decent coilovers. The ones I bought are remote oil reservoir and infinitely better than the Trophy. On 5 clicks front to rear and softer than any stock 1*2 for ride comfort, but next to zero lean (450lb front 750lb rear). When I get on track I can turn them all the way up to 32 F&R if I like... the level of adjustment is unreal... I cant see the Trophy dampers justifying the cost personally and I dont like red cars personally.

Dont get me wrong though, they are great cars, just not great or special in the way a Williams is.

Tullyvernon
09-02-2009, 12:51
There will never be a clio or renault as special as the Williams and i dont plan on ever selling mine.:twisted:
I just thought for the extra grand you get turinis, recaros, sachs, and a limited edition car. A good set of recaros alone are grand! I was planing on geting turinis and recaros when i was getting a rb 182ff so it was the best option for me to go for the Trophy, and the sachs are good enough for me.
Just depends what you want from your car, the nice thing with coilys you can hav the car sitting nice and low :D which is against the law in a trophy.

J o n
09-02-2009, 12:58
oh too right, given the choice I'd have a Trophy, but then I'm getting on and I dont think I could ever live with a Williams as a day to day car tbh.

As for lowering, I know two people who've binned the Sachs and fitted AST's or similar priced kit... almost blasphemous in some circles! lol

Wobba
09-02-2009, 14:49
Personally, though you may be shocked to hear it from my whine posts about seized bolts and various leaks, I love the hassle my Williams gives me. Fixing it gives me a sense of achievement, and EVERYONE knows what a Willy is :D

It's a legend.

Went to Goodwood in a massive convoy of supercars on Sunday, and it didn't look out of place and got mucho respecto from the other drivers. No-one really batted an eyelid at the 182.

Sure, you can buy a car that will gives you less hassle in the longrun, but personally I just don't rate the Trophy as an Icon. Great car I am sure, but until I am too old to work on the Williams, I will keep it even if it's as a 2nd car, pampered and hidden away in a garage just for playtime, will I destroy a 172 or something as a daily driver.

16v_paddy
09-02-2009, 16:54
I'm not really looking at a trophy because it's less hassle or anything, it's just one of those cars that I've wanted since it came out & I'm in the position to be able to get one now.

I can see where people are coming from, saying it's not as special as a williams but I think it almost is and certainly will be in a few years time.

If my car was a williams that I'd got to a similar standard as my valver, then no way would I sell it to be able to buy a trophy (he says :roll: ) :lol:
As much as I do love my car, at the end of the day it's just a valver :shock: and I'm in the position to get a much better car, wether it's a williams or a trophy, so it would be a bit silly not to trade up :roll: and now that I know I can get a better car I've kind of lost the heart to go any further with my valver :oops:
I've taken it as far as I wanted tbh, she was a bit of a shitheap when I bought her and she's come a long way & had a lot of money spent. I don't regret any of it :approve: it's something I enjoy doing and I really don't care too much that I wont see any of the money back that I've spent when I come to sell her [-(
but as the title suggest, it's time for a change, I want something that is a limited editon car and in a choice between a trophy or a williams, the trophy just beats it for me.

I'll probably get a williams eventually, but it'll be a shitter that I'll restore like I have mine & use it as a project/plaything on the side and leave the trophy alone

J o n
10-02-2009, 12:03
trophy is a great car fella, it's a limited run, BUT, 'imo' it's worth no more than a 182 with recaros. The colour and optional recaros in other models will diminish it's value over time I feel. It's not different enough to be remembered in an iconic way either, it will just be "the best of the 182 bunch" I think. If it's the car you want go for it, I'd have one in a heart beat! Colour isn't my first choice, but it doesn't make me want to stab my eyes out

16v_paddy
10-02-2009, 23:17
The for sale thread is now up 8) http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=342090#342090

BRUN
10-02-2009, 23:27
you wont get what you want for it mate in todays market, IMO you will do very well to see £1500 for it

i got £1k for mine with some spares and another set of wheels thrown in

16v_paddy
10-02-2009, 23:32
I know what you mean but I've got to start somewhere, just a case of finding the right buyer & you always get talked down on the price so we'll just have to wait & see

white16valver
11-02-2009, 13:12
Looks mint so fingers crossed :D

drsmith1979
11-02-2009, 19:14
Its all about personal tastes, my personal choice would be to get a low mileage 172 Cup, spend a little on the suspension and engine mods, maybe look for some uprated seats.

I love my williams to death, however, i don't miss all the little touch ups i had to do... but this is the same as any car so old and made for performance.

The reason i love the Williams is purely down to its pedigree and history, its a pure thoroughbred!

But yes, the reliability of the newer cars can be appealing...

The trophy looks great, has a nice package but for me you can get the same looks, prestige and performance from something a good few grand less.