PDA

View Full Version : New Suspension

MatrixGuy
07-02-2009, 20:23
Hello,

Right, i have decided to re-new all the suspension parts on my williams. Where is the best place to get this done and how much are we looking at? I am based in the North West but don't mind travelling.

Cheers

Iain

talkingfish
07-02-2009, 21:36
depends what you want - standard or modified... I got all mine replaced last year with original parts - parts cost about £500 - then you need to get it fitted...

MatrixGuy
07-02-2009, 21:37
I just want standard mate, but new, lol.

How long would it take to re-fit everything do u think?

Wobba
07-02-2009, 21:53
You could just do a pair at a time, eg wishbones. They don't take long as long as you have the tools.

Springs you will need to compress, the rest is easy. Rear shocks are easy, except for the offside top bolt which can be a pain to get to due to aux tank in the way.

Track rod ends are usually seized, can replace the whole rod unit though instead, but it can be hard to get them off the end of the steering rack.

ARB bushes, well, outer ones are easy. Inner ones are a pain in the arse when on the car. Can take a while.

You will need to have the tracking done after track rods/ends.

talkingfish
08-02-2009, 10:33
I just want standard mate, but new, lol.

How long would it take to re-fit everything do u think?

I got mine all done in a day (at a garage - not myself....)

MatrixGuy
08-02-2009, 14:43
Cheers guys.

Talkingfish, which garage do you use?

white16valver
09-02-2009, 17:18
I use the garage of matbrown ;) :lol: but it would take longer than a day!

talkingfish
09-02-2009, 18:58
Cheers guys.

I have two good garages I trust with my car - one is in Rotherham, the other is in Derby. Where you based?

MatrixGuy
10-02-2009, 13:48
Cheers guys.

I have two good garages I trust with my car - one is in Rotherham, the other is in Derby. Where you based?

North West mate, Lancaster.

Wobba
11-02-2009, 22:51
I remember when I did my suspension for the first time ever, I did it all in a few hours but could have done it faster if I learnt to wind the spring compressors properly lol.

With coilovers, I can strip them off and replace easily front and rear in under an hour including a fag break and cup of tea. Much easier than standard ones.

MatrixGuy
12-02-2009, 13:44
I remember when I did my suspension for the first time ever, I did it all in a few hours but could have done it faster if I learnt to wind the spring compressors properly lol.

With coilovers, I can strip them off and replace easily front and rear in under an hour including a fag break and cup of tea. Much easier than standard ones.

is that an offer to help mate? lol :D

white16valver
12-02-2009, 14:17
He loves it ;) lol

Wobba
12-02-2009, 14:28
I do love it aye! Lancaster is a bit out of my way though sorry :(

If you have new struts and springs, and top mount kit, just build the shocks in the warmth of your home and do a straight swap of the old ones. It really is easy that way. Wishbones are easy too.

Just make sure you build the struts up in the correct order, take note of the old ones if you take them apart.