PDA

View Full Version : Aux tank leak

Wobba
06-02-2009, 17:13
ok, I havea leak in the aux tank region. If I fill it to max it ours out for a bit and it stinks of petrol after any refill.

I have a spare aux tank, but want to know if it's a tricky job or if anyone knows where leaks like this are common...is it more likely to be the rubber join hoses or the tak itself?

I don't have spare rubber hose bits yet.

I need this fixed for MOT next week!

Coops
06-02-2009, 17:22
more than likley the main feed between the 2 tanks, check the clips and tbh if they are o/e just replace with big ass jubilee's

if it is the tank itself thats split, careful when removing it as the rear mount is a push fit washer on a little stud similar to the undercar brake line clips, how they mount to the car, and it can rust, so dont just pull as it'll rip a chunk out the car

Wobba
06-02-2009, 17:42
That should read:

'If I fill it to max it pours out for a bit'.

Thanks Coops I had heard about that rust trap there. How do I get that bit off then? Carefully?

Is it three bolts and do I need to undo the filler cap part?

white16valver
06-02-2009, 18:24
Wear eye protection if you're messing about with petrol things as petrol in the eye eats tissue apparently! :shock: (well, from what they said on Long Way Round lol)

Wobba
06-02-2009, 18:28
Wear eye protection if you're messing about with petrol things as petrol in the eye eats tissue apparently! :shock: (well, from what they said on Long Way Round lol)

I've been a victim of this already when my care split a hose on Sunday night :D

andreas395
06-02-2009, 20:56

def wear i protection mate i was changing the fuel filter and it shot out straight in my eye had a blood shot eye for weeks :roll: :wink:

Coops
07-02-2009, 09:31
That should read:

'If I fill it to max it pours out for a bit'.

Thanks Coops I had heard about that rust trap there. How do I get that bit off then? Carefully?

Is it three bolts and do I need to undo the filler cap part?

yes, three screws hold the filler cap part in, when u take the filler cap itself off u will see them

tank itself is held with i think its 2 bolts and that clip thingie, think best bet may be to get a screw driver in there and prise the metal push fit washer thing off

Wobba
07-02-2009, 16:38
All fixed :) Replaced aux tank completely. One of the little breather pipe connectors had been snapped in half. Some fool had clearly tried to botch it by using some kind of superglue around it.

I love smelling of petrol :D

Traffic warden warned me I was not allowed to work on car in street again but just said to be safe and walked off.

andreas395
07-02-2009, 20:11
All fixed :) Replaced aux tank completely. One of the little breather pipe connectors had been snapped in half. Some fool had clearly tried to botch it by using some kind of superglue around it.

I love smelling of petrol :D

Traffic warden warned me I was not allowed to work on car in street again but just said to be safe and walked off.

thats good mate fingers crossed nothing else goes wrong :wink:

northy
07-02-2009, 21:43
haha ive had enough of fuel systems on clio full stop after doing my cup racers lol

Wobba
07-02-2009, 22:14
Something else going wrong...off COURSE it will andreas lol. In fact I am about to post up a new problem!

Northy, the aux tank was bad enough, I never want to do the main tank EVER.