PDA

View Full Version : Clutch cable snapped

16v_paddy
05-02-2009, 19:18
My clutch cable snapped today :x :evil:

Pissed me right off as I spent ages with a shovel digging it out from the snow on my drive and warming her up ready for a blast. Then it snapped a few miles away from home so got sod all I wanted to do today done

All is well though...sort of :? got tow truck out to take me home and got my m8 to fetch me a new cable after he finished work :D

I've never done a clutch cable on a valver before, so has anyone got any tips on anything to look out for while doing it & what problems I might encounter?
Harvy told me to expect my arms to hurt, but blood, sweat, swearing and bruises are standard when doing anything to these bastard cars :lol:

Justin..
05-02-2009, 19:31
Fisrtly, Take note of the cable routing!!! and strongly recomend only a genuine renault cable. lesser will snap.

take the lower shroud off below the wheel, aids access a bit ( i left mine off
for ages as it kept snapping lol )

slide driver seat right back if not already and expect to be in there upside down.

first time i done it was a mission getting it through the bulk head. so i thoroughly recomend feeding a string throught the hole once the old cable is out. you may need to cut the clip thart hold it to the bulkhead.
mine was not budging so i destroyed it with some side cutting snips.
also when i got the cable through i left the clip unclipped and let the pedal pull it up and pop in first time u depress the clutch pedal with cable re-instated.

i cant quite remember how it goes onto the peddle mech, but i think you have to push the rachet mech round so the cable reaches.
make sure it seats in the mech properly
also take note that theres a small loop over the mech that the cable has to go through. i found out this out after i put it all together. #-o

once thats all done fit the box end and check the pedal end. hopefully its stayed on the pedal!

Justin..
05-02-2009, 19:32
also if you encounter more snapages get a new clutch. it stopped mine breaking even after a new pedal

LEIGH-ANNE
05-02-2009, 19:53
8-[ Slightly worried it's gonna happen to me today now :? [-o<

Nope! Only 30 days after :wink:

16v_paddy
05-02-2009, 20:18
:shock: when did I say that? :oops:

does the same apply if I said I hope mine doesn't get a turbo? :lol:

fasterthanjesus
05-02-2009, 20:46
im on my second clutch in 3 years, my third cable and getting my second ratchet fitted tomorrow.

god damned right handed clutch bolloxx

kneesparks
06-02-2009, 10:15
Mine snapped last night! Not chuffed, Iv had to do this on my old R19 16v my old clio 16v my old williams and now this williams :evil: Renault should stop making stuff out of toffie! If Renault has one in stock i'll be attempting to fit it in 2" of snow. Was going to put a match to the car last night well pissed off. Had to drive 25miles with no clutch, made it with a few crashed gears and starting from traffic lights in 1st on the started motor :shock: :?

cliokiz
06-02-2009, 11:01
Paddy, the best way i found was to unhook the cable at the gearbox end first. Then, unhook the cable from the pedal, and use some very sticky tape to attach some thin speaker wire to the old cable.

Now, get the car up on axle stands and crawl underneath. You should see the cable looping around the back of the subframe.

Get a hold of this and pull the cable out of the bulkhead, making sure not to pull all the wire through.

Secure the wire in the cockpit somewhere, then get back under the car and again use something very sticky to attach the new clutch cable to the wire. Make sure you make the edges as smooth as possible so it doesn't snag anywhere.

Then, feed the cable through as far as you can from underneath and start gently pulling on the wire to pull the new cable into place. Make sure the plastic clip is seated in the hole. Once the cable is through you can then remove the tape.

Get back under the car and feed the cable through the clips on the back of the subframe, then feed the gearbox end of the cable from underneath along the chassis rail.

You'll then be able to pull the cable through from the top of the bay into position. Leave it off the gearbox at this point.

Next, get upside down and get the cable attached to the ratchet correctly, then attach it at the gearbox end, give the pedal a few pumps, and hope for the best!

:P

white16valver
06-02-2009, 12:34
Someone sticky that post ^^^ !! :P :D

Coops
06-02-2009, 13:28
good posting kiz 8)

am so paranoid these days i have thin wire, axle stands and a spare cable in the boot :o :wink:

16v_paddy
06-02-2009, 15:16
I'm stuck :evil:

Can't get the new cable through the bulkhead, I'm pulling on the wire I've taped to it but I can't quite slot it into the hole & pull it through :x

Is it a trial & error thing to get it into the hole & pull through or have I missed something??

busterhymes
06-02-2009, 16:55
def trial and error and when you do get it thru the bulkhead think you need to make sure the clips on the outer click into place in the bulkhead hole think once you get the cable connected at both ends and depress clutch a few times it should seat correctly as for working upside in car take drivers seat out it will give better access if ur struggling m8 this job is def no fun good luck :wink:

Coops
06-02-2009, 17:23
ai takes a few attempts ususally man with all the crap in the way. persistance is the key

16v_paddy
06-02-2009, 19:00
The persistance paid off and I got it through the bulkhead but I'm still having trouble :roll:

I've got it all hooked up, but the pedal is still slack & on the floor :x
Have I missed something or done something wrong? Or is my clutch ratchet fooked?

I've given up for tonight :cry:

LEIGH-ANNE
06-02-2009, 19:15
The persistance paid off and I got it through the bulkhead but I'm still having trouble :roll:

I've got it all hooked up, but the pedal is still slack & on the floor :x
Have I missed something or done something wrong? Or is my clutch ratchet fooked?

I've given up for tonight :cry:

Awww....dont give up! Persistance pays off!! :wink:

Justin..
06-02-2009, 19:24
Only reason i can think of it being slack is if its not connected to the box, if the rachet is fecked you'll know it cos it'll be obvious due to the noise the pedal mech will make

16v_paddy
06-02-2009, 19:26
It's not down to persistance now I don't think :?

I need to teach myself to re-set the clutch ratchet or find out if it's that being fubar causing the problem

Need it sorting so I can go look at my williams on sunday

richy
06-02-2009, 19:29
pain in the ass them clutch cables, had a few go on the williams which after i changed the clutch was spot on then!

16v_paddy
06-02-2009, 19:53
Can't complain too much, had the car 2 years & this is the 1st cable thats snapped on me

Justin..
06-02-2009, 20:01
when i drove your car at pod tho mate it felt like mine did when it was snapping cables.

fasterthanjesus
09-02-2009, 19:03
new cab le, new ratchet. clutch like new!

original renault parts for the win !

16v_paddy
09-02-2009, 19:32
Towed it to the garage to get done now :cry:

It's one of two things 1. the ratchet is fooked or, 2. Me & my m8 are ****in useless :oops: hoping it's the latter [-o<

16v_paddy
13-02-2009, 17:28
Turns out justin was right, I need a new clutch :cry:

cliokiz
13-02-2009, 17:41
Was it not because the pedal wasn't fed through the 'loop' at the top of the ratchet?

I made this schoolboy error and had a slack pedal, wondered WTF was wrong lol.

Check this before you end up changing the clutch!

Give me a shout if you need any help.

PS.. if anyone else struggles to pull the cable through the bulkhead, get someone to drop the cable back down, crawl under the car and you'll see the end of the cable, whilst someone is pulling and guiding it upwards, feed it up with your hand as you'll probably see the cable snagging on something.

Enjoy!

16v_paddy
13-02-2009, 17:44
We got it all fitted & set properly but we couldn't get any gears

white16valver
13-02-2009, 21:32
Bugger :(