PDA

View Full Version : Getting the rear crank oil seal to actually seal??

glyn211269
04-02-2009, 01:11
Don't ask how I got into this situation but the muppets in my local garage have being trying to replace the rear crankshaft oil seal on my 114k Willy1. It didn't leak before and was just replaced as a precaution while the clutch was being done. Apparantly, they've tried two non-genuine seals and a further two genuine Renault seals and yet it still leaks oil - not a massive amount but more than enough to thoroughly annoy me!

Does anyone know of any special knack, method or tools needed to get this damn seal to actually seal properly?

Or are these guys simply a bunch of incompetant muppets that cant get the seal sitting correctly? I'm loosing the will to live :-(

rob-legend
04-02-2009, 01:47
i had this problem too,my seal didnt seal,was genuine renault too, me n bayliss are gonna try again!!!!! :evil: so hopefully someone can shed some light on this :roll:

MAXIBOY
04-02-2009, 01:55
in reality there are two seals on the rear of the crank inner and outer may need to replace both....

theres the bearing cap side seals and the outer rear seal..

should be an easy fit really..never had a problem with them yet....

touch wood.. 8)

can add more detail if you want

glyn211269
04-02-2009, 03:00
Any details would be appreciated - I have seen in an F7R rebuild manual that the seal should be driven into the housing with a drift until its level with the bevel on the front of the edge plate...but no further as there aren't any stops on the housing. I'm wondering if the garage muppets have wacked it right in? It didnt leak before they touched it so the inner bearing cap seal must be ok still....

stan
04-02-2009, 11:28
If they whack it right in, then oil will pour out...not just trickle out.

they are maybe twisting it or just havnt got it sitting flush.

Are you sure its engine oil which is leaking?

AndyFielder
04-02-2009, 12:55
yeah i had this issue... dont hit it in too far!!

Read the haynes

cliokiz
04-02-2009, 13:32
Would the same principle apply to the gearbox diff seal on the drivers side (the rubber seal behind the spline where the drivers side shaft and rollpin attach)

I replaced this with a non-genuine seal, although they looked very similar and were the same size.

I removed the old seal with a screwdriver and gently tapped the new seal in as far as it would go, but it now leaks oil everywhere.

Have i tapped it in too far?

AndyFielder
04-02-2009, 14:39
quite possibly... should get them to sit in the same place you had your old one.