PDA

View Full Version : Heavy shaking on acceleration

Wadsley
03-02-2009, 18:04
Last night my car started shaking when i was accelerating, the faster i went the worse it would get mainly at 30mph and above, and sometimes when slowing down. It doesn't do it if im at a constant speed or if i put it in neutral? Any ideas? Would a knackered drive shaft make the car do this as the wheels have been spinning alot due to the snow & ice?

alex_e3
03-02-2009, 18:08
Might sound a stupid thing - but check your wheel bolts are tight before you look elsewhere!

I had similar symptoms after having a tire changed - thought it was a driveshaft to find out the wheel bolts had worked loose!!!

Otherwise might be your shaft or maybe a mount on the way.

white16valver
03-02-2009, 18:22
Driveshaft is a definite probable due to the shaking under acceleration but under deceleration is a bit weird.

Are your tyres definitely round? Jack it up and spin them while you have your head at the front of the car looking back at them, so you can see if they are oval or not! I had the wobbling thing and it was simply down to mishapen tyres :shock: :?

Wadsley
03-02-2009, 18:38
Ok i will check these out tomorrow thanks for your help.

Wobba
03-02-2009, 19:20
Could be wheel nuts ye. Could also be a tyre flat spot or damaged wheel or driveshaft, ye.

Could also be a loose strut, or shagged strut mounts, worn balljoints, poor tracking, shagged wishbones, shagged rack. Personally, I replace the whole lot if I am not sure about a car from the start.

col
03-02-2009, 19:37
Is your steering wheel shaking?

white16valver
03-02-2009, 19:47
oh, re the driveshafts thing, check the CV boot where it joins the gearbox as if it's split and dry that's something that causes the CV joint to dry out and do the grip/slip/grip/slip shaking thing!

bbaazz-08
04-02-2009, 00:28
check wheel nuts and drive shafts but id say it the box

cliokiz
04-02-2009, 13:37
^^ what makes you say it's the box? :?

I had this problem, severe shaking under acceleration, fine when in neutral just rolling.

It was my passenger side driveshaft. One of the roller bearings from the tripod end in the gearbox had fallen off. Had to replace the shaft.

Luckily, the large metal roller fell out when i pulled the shaft out the box, but if yours has fallen in the box thats not good news..

If that is what has happened, all the little bearings should come out in the oil, so put the oil through a seive and re-use! :P

Wadsley
04-02-2009, 18:15
Ok thanks alot for your help everyone :)

I will be replacing the driveshaft soon as its what i also suspect the problem is!

bbaazz-08
04-02-2009, 20:14
just srpung to mind because mine was like that when the box was finished........prob right about p/s shaft do it happens alot on the mk 2 1.2`s