PDA

View Full Version : Tyres

FLUXX
28-01-2009, 22:03
what tyres do you recomend on my williams 3? only had her month it has goodyear eagle f1 at the mo

northy
28-01-2009, 22:09
in my books michelin exalto 2's

MAXIBOY
28-01-2009, 22:42
stick with the eagles

Coops
28-01-2009, 23:23
eagles or spec 2's have been my favourites upto now for outright performance, depends what ur after tho as there are some very good tyres out there that wear better

Totti
29-01-2009, 00:47

Good shout 8)

white16valver
29-01-2009, 15:13
This has been covered a million times lol Have a search!

F1s get my vote but PE2s are also supposed to be good :)

dickies_willy2
29-01-2009, 18:34
r888's any good? heard they dont last long tho. iv got F1s on mine and the min too, they go well and are pretty good in the wet too

kneesparks
29-01-2009, 20:48
r888's any good? heard they dont last long tho. iv got F1s on mine and the min too, they go well and are pretty good in the wet too
Not a road tyre, they are legal but they have been made for track days, they are awsome in the dry but wont lastlong at all and you will be looking at £70+ each. I will get some for the skyline when i get some doe as the rears are alot with 255/45/17.
Iv just got some Yokie prada spec 2's seem to be bedding in nice and gettin more and more grip each time i drive it (195/50/15). 8)

andreas395
29-01-2009, 21:19

im going for these next

Tommo
29-01-2009, 22:20
stick with the eagles

Yep, I agree, wouldn't use any other tyre....although I believe that GY have stopped producing them now... :(

rsshawn
29-01-2009, 22:21
Toyo Proxes are very good tyres in wet & dry conditions. Superb handling & hard-wearing for the bargain price of around £50 a shot. :D

Tommo
29-01-2009, 22:23
Toyo Proxes are very good tyres in wet & dry conditions. Superb handling & hard-wearing for the bargain price of around £50 a shot. :D

Hmm, I hear mixed opinions on these, some say they are lethal in the wet.. :?

andreas395
29-01-2009, 22:25

sorry mate think there shite very week sidewall mine started to lose shape can not handle th e power of the williams :lol:

kneesparks
29-01-2009, 22:27
No no no no no no ooooo no. These are pap (T1R's) iv just took them off mine complete shite in wet or anything not bone dry. They are quite good in the dry but since we have ooh at least 4 dry days a year not a good tyre for uk.

andreas395
29-01-2009, 22:32
No no no no no no ooooo no. These are pap (T1R's) iv just took them off mine complete shite in wet or anything not bone dry. They are quite good in the dry but since we have ooh at least 4 dry days a year not a good tyre for uk.

i agree cheap and nasty

talkingfish
29-01-2009, 23:03
looking to change my Proxes too... seem to "roll over" on the sidewalls too easily.... anybody tried Yokohama's S-Drive???? - they look good at £68 a corner for 185's

kneesparks
29-01-2009, 23:31
looking to change my Proxes too... seem to "roll over" on the sidewalls too easily.... anybody tried Yokohama's S-Drive???? - they look good at £68 a corner for 185's
Have you tried putting some air in them :lol: Go for 195/50/15's they are a good deal cheeper to the 185's

rsshawn
30-01-2009, 02:51

sorry mate think there shite very week sidewall mine started to lose shape can not handle th e power of the williams :lol:

Really :shock: I've had these on 4 cars, S2 with 150bhp, the missus' 16v, my vec and my S1 with over 170bhp with nothing wrong. Friends also had them and can say the same. Mostly 195/50/15 size if that may make a difference - I know someone who had a large size of a poop-brand tyre but they were great compared to the smaller size same brand they had on old wheels. :?

They may not be as good as Goodyear or other top brand models but personally I can't fault them for the money.

white16valver
30-01-2009, 10:51
I'm a Toyo hater myself.

Had the T1-S on and they're shiiiiiit... :?

Roll over onto the sidewalls, to the point that the outer edges are fubared but the inside and middle are still about 5mm left :roll:

Also crap in the wet - grip, grip, sliiiiiiiiiide with no warning, and they don't regain grip very quickly either.

F1s are a million times more progressive and grip like you wouldn't believe in the wet!

Don't skimp on tyres imo, only thing holding you on the road :)

andreas395
30-01-2009, 11:43
^^^^^^^^ well said dont understand people that have fat cars and buy budget's

andreas395
30-01-2009, 11:44
fast not fat bring back the EDIT option

talkingfish
30-01-2009, 18:38
Have you tried putting some air in them :lol: Go for 195/50/15's they are a good deal cheeper to the 185's

31psi my friend..... don't get started on the 185 vs. 195 argument - I want my car as original as possible... hence 185's.... all I'm saying is that I won't be buying Proxes again....

white16valver
30-01-2009, 19:34

31psi my friend..... don't get started on the 185 vs. 195 argument - I want my car as original as possible... hence 185's.... all I'm saying is that I won't be buying Proxes again....
If you're spending £68 a corner on some Yokos then spend the same on F1s!!

IMO ;) lol

talkingfish
30-01-2009, 20:13
Or £90 a corner on PE2's......

kneesparks
30-01-2009, 20:18
Or £150 a set of yokies on 195 :wink:

eternalife
02-02-2009, 18:19
http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32524

talkingfish
03-02-2009, 10:58
so I still don't know what tyres to get.... I'm staying on 185's - can only afford 2 PE2's a the moment so that would leave the Proxes on the rear for now - quite what that would do for the handling I have no idea.... I can stretch to 4 F1's though - but I'm reading these have a soft sidewall too in some peoples opnion...... :? :? :? :? :?

kneesparks
03-02-2009, 11:36
Im liking the yokies at the mo. The reason i got the 195's is coz they cheeper. And they even handle well in the wet, lots beta than the T1R's 8)

white16valver
03-02-2009, 13:52
so I still don't know what tyres to get.... I'm staying on 185's - can only afford 2 PE2's a the moment so that would leave the Proxes on the rear for now - quite what that would do for the handling I have no idea.... I can stretch to 4 F1's though - but I'm reading these have a soft sidewall too in some peoples opnion...... :? :? :? :? :?
I seriously wouldn't leave Proxes on the rear and better tyres on the front - that's like an invitation to unintentional lift off oversteer lol

Get the F1s! Dooooo iiiiiiit!! :D

They're awesome in the wet, seriously grippy once the initial sheen's worn off after a couple of hundred miles 8)

talkingfish
04-02-2009, 09:36
done some looking around - like the look of Dunlop SP Sport Fast Response - got strengthened sidewalls and all..... I've had SP Sport Maxx's on my company car for ages and can't fault them.....

white16valver
04-02-2009, 12:59
Fairy nuff :)

evo mag rate the sport maxx's I think!

simonr85
04-02-2009, 13:33
just ordered some more eagle f1s, the best all round tyres by far, on my 4th set now and had quite a few different brands of tyres on different cars

doug2.0
04-02-2009, 19:23
ive got a full set of proxes t1r's at the moment and ive nearly died the past few days on the ice, so little grip its unbelievable, people with budget tyres were just driving past me, defiantly no good on snow and ice, but not bad in the dry. ill be going back to the f1s on the next set

rsshawn
04-02-2009, 20:52
Are all you proxes haters on 185's ?
Never tried a different size from 195/50/15's so that may be where the issues generate. Same make tyres will work differently on different sizes.

Sidewall problem? Never heard that before. Maybe that's compounded by the cars general handling qualities, lowering and how fast you drive etc rather than tyre problem? Honestly, never had a fault with them but then it seems some (esp the linked tyre topic) are judging them as track tyres.

I'm not getting into an arguemnt but just giving my experience. I'm sure I won't be the only person who rates these, but that's not to say the F1's are better..but then they are almost twice the money (without mentioning the fact people are posting "they're the only thing that hold you on the road" otherwise companies wouldn't make and sell cheap tyres that are no good).

doug2.0
04-02-2009, 21:08
well ive had full sets of both this year starting with the nearly new eagles last winter and the new proxes since november, the car isnt lowered and i dont drive like a lunatic
the proxes, where i get them from are £33 a tyre and the f1's are 45 i think, ill defiantly be paying the extra next time round and getting the f1's.

the grip on the proxes is just a little too unpredictable for my liking and i dont have much confidence in them.

and the exaltos are only for those with deep pockets,

white16valver
05-02-2009, 15:34
Are all you proxes haters on 185's ?
Never tried a different size from 195/50/15's so that may be where the issues generate. Same make tyres will work differently on different sizes.

Sidewall problem? Never heard that before. Maybe that's compounded by the cars general handling qualities, lowering and how fast you drive etc rather than tyre problem? Honestly, never had a fault with them but then it seems some (esp the linked tyre topic) are judging them as track tyres.

I'm not getting into an arguemnt but just giving my experience. I'm sure I won't be the only person who rates these, but that's not to say the F1's are better..but then they are almost twice the money (without mentioning the fact people are posting "they're the only thing that hold you on the road" otherwise companies wouldn't make and sell cheap tyres that are no good).
I agree that tyres handle differently in different sizes, I guess it's down to the construction of them that determines how they handle. :) 185s in F1s are also a teeny bit softer sidewalled than a 195/50/15 tyre will generally be (from my memory running 195s on my old car) but the thing about the F1s is that they do actually keep the tyre tread flat on the ground, letting go progressively near the limit, rather than rolling over like the Toyos do so it feels like you're understeering when you turn in...

I disagree that it's a handling/lowering/speeding problem though, as driving exactly the same on F1s produces markedly different results from Toyos! Mine's on standard set up and they really were pants :?

re: the cheap tyres thing, don't forget that the majority of the population have little or no clue about tyres, and the only time they'll encounter the limits of their tyres is during an emergency manouvre (sp) when they'll wonder why they've gone screeching into the car in front / the hedge / the ditch, rather than thinking "oh, perhaps these 15 quid remoulds really were shit?" :roll: Hence people can make and sell tyres that are poor to say the least unless they are used in the most average of average situations...

LEIGH-ANNE
05-02-2009, 16:54
well ive had full sets of both this year starting with the nearly new eagles last winter and the new proxes since november, the car isnt lowered and i dont drive like a lunatic
the proxes, where i get them from are £33 a tyre and the f1's are 45 i think, ill defiantly be paying the extra next time round and getting the f1's.

the grip on the proxes is just a little too unpredictable for my liking and i dont have much confidence in them.

and the exaltos are only for those with deep pockets,

Where the hell are u buying them from :evil:

doug2.0
06-02-2009, 21:10
camskill.co.uk
195/50/15's free next day delivery too :lol: