PDA

View Full Version : A few problems...

Tommo
28-01-2009, 18:57
The Williams is going in for a service soon and I want them to sort a few problems which have been bugging me while it's at the garage, just after some advice on what the following could be:

- Car is sometimes hesitant and stutters hot or cold when accelerating, but doesn't happen all the time, also it sometimes cuts out when at idle, again not all the time and can do it after a good run or when it's cold. Also the battery light flickers occasionally when nearing the limiter, any ideas on this one lads?

- Flashing outside temp gauage....been doing this for ages and I want it sorted, it is ok on start up, but after a few seconds it goes up to 50 degrees and starts flashing, new sensor time?

- Slight knock from front right when going over small bumps, could this point to worn bushes or ball joint? I've got some Powerflex bushes to fit, would it be worth fitting these and seeing if the knocking stops?

Any advice on the above would be appreciated

Cheers

antony
28-01-2009, 19:57
Also the battery light flickers occasionally when nearing the limiter, any ideas on this one lads?

- Slight knock from front right when going over small bumps, could this point to worn bushes or ball joint? I've got some Powerflex bushes to fit, would it be worth fitting these and seeing if the knocking stops?

Cheersmy battery light does this.strangely removing the battery terminals cures this for a week or 2
if it is the ball joint and you go and whack the powerflex bushs in your gonna make it worse.just get a new arm to fit the bushes too or get a new balljoint fitted when you get the powerflex bushes fitted.
sorry cant help on the rest.only had mine a month

northy
28-01-2009, 22:01
the temp sensor can be fixed with a new sensor in the wing mirror....

Take each fault and rectify according mate so u report your findings here.

Coops
28-01-2009, 23:26
stutter could be lambda or cts sensors, also worth cleaning out the idle control valve as a matter of course, cures no end of seemingly unrelated engine issues :wink:

knock is as said, trail and error, replace bushes, ball joints and top mount bearings and rubbers and go from there, also inspect shockers for wear/leaks and springs for completeness, they can snap

flicker is probably brushes on way out in alternator or kippered battery.

katbloke
29-01-2009, 08:02
with reference to the exterior temp sensor, before you buy new mirrors, sensor etc etc seperate the loom at the a pillar/ door connection and give all the connections there a good clean out, this was done to mine and its worked perfectly ever since

Tommo
29-01-2009, 12:19
Thanks for the advice guys......I'll have a go at cleaning the connection for the outside temp sensor myself and see if that fixes it....

I drove it to work this morning with no problems, the stutter seems to be an intermittent fault, only does it now and again......also the knock from the front right disappears when it's warmed up....bloody clio, drives me nuts sometimes.. :evil:

Jamie.
29-01-2009, 21:10
What you up to on Sunday Tommo?

Tommo
29-01-2009, 22:08
Out all day Sunday mate, why what you got planned?

You missing the Williams yet??.... :(

Tommo
29-01-2009, 22:11

Eh up mate, where u been hiding??

Jamie.
29-01-2009, 22:43
Out all day Sunday mate, why what you got planned?

You missing the Williams yet??.... :(

Just a drive or something and not really missing the Williams no.

Tommo
29-01-2009, 22:48
I could do next Sunday if you fancy it? Let me know and we'll sort something out mate...

northy
01-02-2009, 18:08

Eh up mate, where u been hiding??

keeping out of trouble mate - still very much in the game though :wink:

antony
02-02-2009, 17:11
flicker is probably brushes on way out in alternator or kippered battery.crap that effects me too

Tommo
02-02-2009, 21:27
Right, took my car for the service and they MOT'd too, the knocking noise turned out to be a front top strut mount so they are going to sort this when it goes back on Friday. They couldn't comment on the stutter/hesitation as it didn't do it while it was there, it hasn't done this for a while actually so whatever it was seems to have gone...

More alarmingly it failed on emissions, it was sky high, the cat seems to be working ok and there are no blows in the exhaust, I had a brand new system fitted not long ago. I dont think they heated the cat up fully so I will ask them to do this when they retest it, are there any additives I can add to the fuel before it goes back to help with the emissions?

antony
03-02-2009, 18:01
More alarmingly it failed on emissions, it was sky high, the cat seems to be working ok and there are no blows in the exhaust, I had a brand new system fitted not long ago. I dont think they heated the cat up fully so I will ask them to do this when they retest it, are there any additives I can add to the fuel before it goes back to help with the emissions?was the car warm when they tested it ?? always opt for a waitin test.
you can get cat additives that you whack in the fuel that wrok quite well.have you had the cat off and made sue the honeycomb structure is intact ?? the 106 had a tiny corner that collapsed that screwed my emmisions

white16valver
03-02-2009, 18:23
Always make sure it's red hot before you get it tested lol

Apparently the Redex stuff is good for emissions but I've not tried it.

Could it be a fubared lambda sensor?

Mine smells like the cat's fooked (soooo rich on start up and at idle lol) but I can usually pass without a problem, though nearer the top of the allowed band than the bottom! :lol:

Wobba
03-02-2009, 19:26
Oh God. I have my MOT very soon as well...cat's going back on, not sure if it will help though lol!

white16valver
03-02-2009, 19:48
I reckon mine's as good as dead but so far all good :P :D

Tommo
09-02-2009, 23:56
Quick update on this.......I ended up taking the car to another garage today for a retest and to get the bits sorted as I wasn't happy with the garage I took it to for the initial test. They fixed the top strut mount and it flew through the MOT with no problems and passed the emissions, so very happy, here's to another year of motoring fun...... :D

white16valver
10-02-2009, 13:48
Sweet :D

Jamie.
10-02-2009, 14:32
Glad to hear it, now you can drive to the snooker club :wink:

Tommo
10-02-2009, 18:47
Definitely mate, it's my round too.... :wink:

Jamie.
10-02-2009, 19:16
Definitely mate, it's my round too.... :wink:

Haha, won't argue with that.

dwynj
15-02-2009, 19:07
Hello Mate! I haven't been on cliowilliams for a while - glad to hear you still have the Williams!
- Sounds like you have problems with your lambda sensor. This would cause the stutter when accelerating and also the mot failure on emissions. If you are only having intermittent problems it may be something simple like a loose connection. Check the cable coming up out of the sensor - sticks out of exhaust directly in front of the catalytic converter. Make sure the connections are clean and tidy - had a similar problem on my Cup.
- Flashing temp gauge has already been covered. Clean the connections.
- I had the same knocking noise on my suspension. I took the opportunity to replace the whole suspension strut, top mount and springs. I was never happy with my Williams when she was lowered!

Also, I have read about a few nasty experiences involving fuel additives which would make me stay clear of them. If anything you are just as well spending your money on decent super unleaded fuel.

This could be my first post on the website!! Normally just read other peoples comments! Miss our chats in the office Mate!
I have finally finished building the garage and am ready to start work on my Williams!

DWJ

Tommo
15-02-2009, 20:50
Hello mate, long time no speak!

Thanks for the advice, the knocking noise has been sorted, turned out to be a worn top strut mount, all fixed now and seems to be ok. Car hasn't done the hesitation thing for a while now, it may have been due to the fact that I ran it low on fuel a few times and dragged some crap through so I have made sure it doesn't run much below the 1/4 and seems to be ok so far, but I will check out the lambda anyway. I took it to Foregates near to the BV office for the MOT and wasn't happy with the things it failed on, seemed way too petty imo and also the emissions were stupidly high as they couldn't be bothered to run the cat up to operating temperature, so I took it to a garage local to me and it flew through with no problems.....won't be using Foregates again but they seem to have a good rep at BV?

How's the job going anyway? Hope the Cup and Williams are running ok. Yeah I miss our car chats, you will have to pop down one Friday and catch up over a beer, me Kev and a few other CAD lads are normally out for a few jars after work.

Nice one on the garage, at least I know who to take my Williams to when things go wrong from now on.... :wink:

Make sure you keep a log on here in the projects section with the progress on your Williams mate...