PDA

View Full Version : noisy tappets

dickies_willy2
27-01-2009, 19:54
tappets on the williams getting louder and louder, not the sort of thing i need after christmas! :(
So its getting booked in for a service, do you think that a new load of oil should do the trick?? Do garages engine flush when you take your car in for a service?
If it is just the oil then this wont stop the ticking sound forever will it? or if not... what could it be?
Sorry if this has been posted a million times before!
cheers
Rich

MAXIBOY
27-01-2009, 20:45
flushing not advise unless done from new..

oil change might make them less tappy..

new tappets are the only real option..60 quid from ebay

andreas395
27-01-2009, 20:47
dont let them engine flush it mate will only make things worse

talkingfish
27-01-2009, 21:51
I used some Wynns stuff that made quite a difference......

kneesparks
27-01-2009, 21:59
Mine started tapping when the oil i put in was to thick :roll: Did put a tin of that Wynns stuff in and it did get a lil better after a week or so.

number1
27-01-2009, 22:38
I refurbished some old ones i had, no tapping now! tried all the additives and none of them worked for more than a week tbh, just changed them and was much quieter :) only thing is after a run to portsmouth the other week when i was driving around town it sounded like they all had lost oil were tapping like mad, if it does it again im going the route of brand new ones, but since coming back its been ok again, oil change might help, but i doubt it!

dickies_willy2
28-01-2009, 00:21
nice one, im gonna give that Wynns a go and if that work then new ones it'll have to be. Ill have to wait till i get the cams done, seems pointless takin it all apart for some tappets :shock:
cheers
rich 8)

MAXIBOY
28-01-2009, 00:48
unless an engine is flushed from new every ten thousand miles it should not be flushed. flushing an older engine can loosen deposits which can cause damage..

Rajk
31-01-2009, 02:09
mine was a right tappy b*stard,for about 3 years I put up with it in the winter months, i used to use magnatec, I put in Silkoline Pro race oil, the middle of last year, its now due an oil change, and I tell you what it taps for about a second, with the old oil it would tap for about 5 mins in this cold weather, my car had been standing for two weeks and i started it this morning at it tapped for two secs tops, buy a top grade oil and it will tap no more. I recommend Silkoline pro race oil, GSF stock it.

MatBrown
31-01-2009, 09:31
These engines have never liked magnatec.

Mat.