PDA

View Full Version : Car has died :(

kneesparks
27-01-2009, 09:31
Hi all drove the williams 2days ago and all was fine, went out to last night and it just keeps turning over and does not fire up. After a few mins of just turning over it smelt flooded. As it was dark i did notice a small orange spark coming from the coil near main HT lead. So now im thinking its the coil that has gone?
Does anyone have a coil i could borrow and if it is the coil bye off them?

MAXIBOY
27-01-2009, 10:24
mat brown will...you sure its not just the coil lead

cliokiz
27-01-2009, 13:44
I've got a spare coil.

Check the crank position sensor on top of the gearbox.

Check to see if it's sparking first though.

kneesparks
27-01-2009, 14:15
Well iv checked the drivers side spark plug and it sparks every second when turning it over. So maybe not the coil then. Crank sensor, would that stop it running with no warning?

alex_e3
27-01-2009, 14:26
If it's the crank sensor have a look at your rev counter when you try to start it.

If the rev counter bobs up and down a little bit when you try then the crank sensor is ok - if the needle doesn't move at all then there's your problem.

Had it go on 2 of my valvers in the past. May not be to blame on yours though

kneesparks
27-01-2009, 14:45
Will try it a bit later as the battery is on charge now. Need to get the car sorted as im out of work at mo and cant run around in the Skyline as its shocking on fuel :roll: :oops:

cliokiz
27-01-2009, 16:13
Text me while you're looking at it or ring me after 5:30pm and let me know what you've tried and i'll see if i can help you in any way.

I'll PM you my number.

kneesparks
27-01-2009, 18:09
Text me while you're looking at it or ring me after 5:30pm and let me know what you've tried and i'll see if i can help you in any way.

I'll PM you my number.
Ta for all the help ppl, had another go at it. Went through all the spark plugs as all i did b4 was try one (1 on drivers side). Down 3 of the spark tunnels there was a fair bit of oil with it up to the top of the spark nearest to the gear box! :shock: Cleaned each spark up and got shot of the oil and she started. I had not checked the sparks since i got the car in Oct 08. The bloke who changed my oil for me must of missed and filled the tunnels up :roll:
All good again. My Yokies turned up today so will get them fittet tomorrow so can get shot of the T1R's that i hate :twisted:

cliokiz
27-01-2009, 18:13
Err it's a possibility that someone may have missed the oil filler hole and filled up your spark plug wells with oil, but a more common cause of this is a broken cam cover seal (top engine cover).

Whip it off (the large metal cover on top of the engine with the 2 breather pipes on the front) and see what condition the gasket is in.

You might want to fit a new gasket to prevent oil seeping into the spark plug wells again.

white16valver
27-01-2009, 19:34
Mine's been leaking for ages, just dry the plugs off and job's a goodun ;) LoL :lol:

16v_paddy
27-01-2009, 19:48
^^^ :shock: thats just lazy :lol:

white16valver
28-01-2009, 14:20
Whaaaaaat??

It's cold outside :oops: lol

I should do it really, especially as it doesn't really look that hard! :oops:

Wobba
28-01-2009, 14:46
Whaaaaaat??

It's cold outside :oops: lol

I should do it really, especially as it doesn't really look that hard! :oops:

Hey white, thought you would have learned how to strip Clio's to the shell by now!

The camcover gasket is really really simple, probably the easiest gasket on the car. Just make sure you clean the old crap one off before fitting a new one :)

white16valver
28-01-2009, 22:02
I have no excuse really - I have the axle stands, I have the trolley jack, I have a selection of allen keys and star drive things, I have the Halford 200 piece toolkit...

Just I'm a wuss and get cold :oops: LOL :lol: