PDA

View Full Version : Re-shelling - how hard actually is it?

white16valver
22-01-2009, 11:36
Well, I've been thinking for a while that chasing rust round my one is an ultimately pointless exercise in the end, unless I can do a bare shell strip down, rust removal and respray.

Which would cost a fortune. :?

So exactly how hard would it be to reshell into a good condition shell? (Preferably without a sunroof as I'm fed up with an in-car shower :roll: lol)

What's involved?

Engine and all suspension parts are either in vgc or virtually new on mine (plus it's widetracked), and the interior is in good nick too, so swapping them over to a decent shell would make sense, but is it a complete nightmare?

Would the car killers like MatBrown and Winston ;) recommend it?

I just don't want to spend another £600 getting the rear arches chopped out and redone, and then another £400 on the older sill, when for that money I might be able to pick up a mint bodywork, slightly tired elsewhere shell...

It would be a mission but if I pulled my finger out my arse and stopped being a fair-weather mechanic :oops: lol I reckon it wouldn't actually take that long!

Advice and recommendations gratefully received :)

Clio-Girl
22-01-2009, 12:31
i had my black clio re-shelled into my naples took about 3 days and then it wouldnt bloody run due to the wiring looms not matching up, after a bit of rewiring it was fine though

Winston
22-01-2009, 12:44
Took me just over a week to do a full reshell but that was from a 100% bare shell

Its not a hard job... good fun, but deffo a summer job imo... I did it in december, never again lol

Hard part is finding a good shell... as you never know how good it is until you have it bare boned

MatBrown
22-01-2009, 18:05
As said, it's not that hard a job but you will struggle to find a decent shell.

Mat.

white16valver
22-01-2009, 18:51
Bugger.

lol

Clio-Girl
23-01-2009, 11:09
keep your eyes open i came across mine on here, its not in perfect condition has a few dents and scratches but its rust free so they are about!

white16valver
23-01-2009, 21:53
Cool, I will see what comes up... :D