PDA

View Full Version : Which induction kit?

Mephiston
02-07-2005, 09:01
Hello all. Recently got me a 95M Naples Red 16V, with some minor front end ailments. I'll get some pictures up once its straightened out...

In the mean time, what induction kit would you recommend? I've currently got a pipercross kit, shoddily fitted by one of the previous owners, which makes a hissing noise on part throttle due to being poorly sealed. It makes no extra power, since I've been able to compare it with a friend's standard 16V.

I'm intending to replace it, but I'm not sure what with: K&N 57i, a newer Pipercross kit, or a Viper kit (any other suggestions chip in!). The latter is about 3 times the cost of the others.

Also, anyone who has got an Ecotek valve and/or an FSE boost valve, please let me know what you think of them!

VIPERONE
02-07-2005, 09:54
ecotek and power boost valves are crap, nobody runs them on here...go standard airbox or hillpower induction kit for best options... in summer they jut suck hot air in! lol

Purple
02-07-2005, 10:42
Standard airbox with K&N drop-in element works well for me. Tried K&N 57i but loses too much torque everywhere.

Have the ecotek too. Conncted via the air inlet above the airbox. Nice torque bump in the mid-range, if tune properly (can be quite hard to tune). Downside is, when tuned properly, sounds like a strangled cat trapped in the bonnet.

Andyvalver
02-07-2005, 13:13
Go with what these guys said mate if you want a little power gain. If you want loads of noise though then stick with the pipercross. Thats what ive got and its noisy as **** :D . They do hiss under gentle acceleration and on tick over. Thats normal mate. If you put a good air feed to it you wont lose any power when moving. Its when you get stuck in traffic or at some lights that it gets hot.

Jabba the...
03-07-2005, 16:32
cma carbon or pipercross & green also do a version. the sealed ik are the best aprox 200 notes, nick hill does a ram air with heat shield

Mephiston
03-07-2005, 22:39
Looks like there's a lot of support for the standard airbox, which I sadly don't have... I've found a scrap dealer who has one for £30+VAT - does that sound reasonable? Thinking I might get the airbox and drop in a K&N element as suggested.

As for the noise of the Pipercross, it is quite turbo like, and adds a bit of menace, but when you don't often partake of gentle acceleration, you might as well enjoy the extra power rather than the noise I guess :twisted:

Swervin_Mervin
04-07-2005, 10:41
Standard airbox mate. You can ask on here or Cliosport to see if anyone has one. I paid £10 to a guy off CS.

Put an ITG panel filter in and you won't be disappointed.

matty
04-07-2005, 21:57
Mine came with a K&N and first thing I did was get a the BMC CDA fitted over 3 years ago now. Had to have throttle body adaptor made to match throttle body (oval rather than round) and some SFS silicone hose but its great and not many people have them due to the adaptor plate problem.

Also have an ecotek fitted and get 400 out of a tank with it on, less with it off. Not sure if the car is slower with the ecotek but running at about 150 bhp anyway. Only way to tell is to do RR runs with in on/off and timed runs with it on/off but all I know is it works for me in terms of running quite smooth and giving more mpg. Mine was fitted at Stealth racing in Southam. A lot of people say they are rubbish but then install could be a factor.

kj16v
05-07-2005, 21:11
power boost valves are crap lol

Aw crap! Just bought one but not fitted it yet. Does everyone else agree?

Martin
05-07-2005, 21:11
YES

Jabba the...
11-07-2005, 16:39

worse than crap they monster petrol :!:

BRUN
22-07-2005, 00:01
if your gonna get a cotton gauze element for the OE airbox, take a look at Green, they are usually a lot cheaper than a K&N and just as good quality

J o n
22-07-2005, 08:17
mine came with a 57i and a PBV... both a waste of time and money. Airbox with paper filter is MILES BETTER and the PBV did **** all that I could tell... both a waste of time tho, airbox is tried and tested as being better, I noticed the difference straight away!

Rudders16v
22-07-2005, 09:26

I've just done exactly the same! Only paid £15 though so im sure i can make some money back on it.

Although i'd be interested to see if it helped with economy though more than performance

2 live
22-07-2005, 09:27
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

told u mate :wink:

kj16v
11-08-2005, 23:09
Have just Ebayed the PBV. Not got time/money for useless mods. Annoyed with K-Tec. I only decided to get one after I phoned K-Tec and was told that the PBV was a good mod :roll: