PDA

View Full Version : Clio Williams - never ending money pit?

MatrixGuy
19-01-2009, 22:37
As much as i love her, is it really worth it?

I bought my Williams 2 back in May 2007 for a cheap £1800 but up to now i have spent in excess of £2500 on service bills, new cambelt, new clutch, new alternator, new waterpump, new steering rack, rust repairs, re-sprays, etc.

To top it off though i don't really enjoy driving it anymore. The steering isn't sharp, the suspension is buggered that i have to pussy foot on the road, the alloys are fooked, rust is taking over the car and bits of trim need replacing.

The car has done 112k miles, is it worth spending anymore money on her, or just sell up and get a bicycle?

Sorry for the rant, again! :oops:

Coops
19-01-2009, 22:39
stop being soft, best idea is to bin the reciepts, want me to look at the turbos bills? i'd have a coronary on the spot :oops:

MatrixGuy
19-01-2009, 22:42
lol, am i being soft? do i start racking up my credit card?

how long can the engine survive?

16v_paddy
19-01-2009, 22:48
The title is all wrong should be CARS - NEVER ENDING MONEY PITS

These ones are more worth it in the end, mine was a rusty heap with everything broken & worth **** all, now she's a minter with brand new everything (almost)

Only realistic option is to get a newer decent car - even more expensive & you'll still have to spend plenty of money to keep it tip top

or to give up on hot hatchness & buy a shitbox that you'll still have to spend money on

Stick with it man, you own one of the all time classics, it's what sets it apart from every other 4 wheeled money pit on the road

MatrixGuy
19-01-2009, 22:51
The title is all wrong should be CARS - NEVER ENDING MONEY PITS

These ones are more worth it in the end, mine was a rusty heap with everything broken & worth f**k all, now she's a minter with brand new everything (almost)

Only realistic option is to get a newer decent car - even more expensive & you'll still have to spend plenty of money to keep it tip top

or to give up on hot hatchness & buy a shitbox that you'll still have to spend money on

Stick with it man, you own one of the all time classics, it's what sets it apart from every other 4 wheeled money pit on the road

Some good points there pal, cheers!

16v_paddy
19-01-2009, 22:53
Another sinner saved possibly :lol: :D

Coops
19-01-2009, 23:00
look after it and it'll last forever mate, seen over 150k on a lump, then just rebuild it, mines on 120k, just run in :wink:

Jamie.
19-01-2009, 23:18
look after it and it'll last forever mate

If one of your cars lasts 20 mins without breaking its a good feat let alone "forever" :wink:

Wobba
19-01-2009, 23:23
Honestly, yea they always will cost money especially if you are, like most here, very finicky over the details. You say it handles shit, then of course, it's not going to be fun.

Sounds like you've replaced most stuff. Just tidy up loose ends and renew the suspension and then drive it like you stole it till it blows up and you have to start all over again.

This crap weather and dark days isn't helping, but since ditching my old suspension and finally fitting my AVO's I've been struggling to stop myself unleashing the beast at any opportunity!

Bad handling will seriously put you off the car mate, just sort it.

wil4s1
20-01-2009, 00:21
one of my engines is on 164 k been serviced by the letter at a renault garage since day 1 engine doesnt smoke or rattle. Runs lovely.

rob-legend
20-01-2009, 00:26
williams clio - never ending money pit?

we all know the answer is yes, no point kidding ourselves :lol:

Coops
20-01-2009, 01:18
look after it and it'll last forever mate

If one of your cars lasts 20 mins without breaking its a good feat let alone "forever" :wink:

:bumshake:

white16valver
20-01-2009, 15:00
Honestly, yea they always will cost money especially if you are, like most here, very finicky over the details. You say it handles s**t, then of course, it's not going to be fun.

Sounds like you've replaced most stuff. Just tidy up loose ends and renew the suspension and then drive it like you stole it till it blows up and you have to start all over again.

This crap weather and dark days isn't helping, but since ditching my old suspension and finally fitting my AVO's I've been struggling to stop myself unleashing the beast at any opportunity!

Bad handling will seriously put you off the car mate, just sort it.
As the man says, get the handling sorted and it will transform your feelings on it :)

New parts aren't that bad, even from renault - shocks are about £200 for the four, get some secondhand low mileage 172 springs, bushes are cheap, engine mounts aren't that much, track rods aren't that much, wishbones aren't horrendous, 195/50/15 decent tyres are cheap, alloy refurb is a couple of hundred...

Obviously it'll cost money to get fitted if you don't/can't do it yourself, but I'm sure someone on here will be able to help :) or MatBrown has very favourable rates ;) lol

Once it's sorted you'll love it all over again :D I can't wait to get my track rod issue sorted out - that's all that's stopping it being perfect since having being widetrackd and having a complete overhaul!

And engines shouldn't be a worry - 140k and still pulling strong ;) I'm sure I read somewhere that someone took a 250k lump apart and it was still pristine inside!

Keep the faith dude, you won't get better ;) :D

MatrixGuy
20-01-2009, 17:37
Thanks for the replies guys.

I was trying to get my gf to pay for the new suspension but she's not having any of it, yet!

I think i might just fix it using my credit card, seen as they increased my limit :shock:

bill.
20-01-2009, 18:02
sell it and buy a better williams :D

white16valver
20-01-2009, 18:50
Noooooo, better the devil you know, as they say ;) lol