PDA

View Full Version : Can you sort the rust out yourself?

MatrixGuy
17-01-2009, 19:47
I had my right rear arch sorted last year but now it's creeping back and the left rear arch is getting worse now too.

Could i have a go at sorting it myself or is it best not too? I want to try it as i dont have the funds too pay a bodyshop to do it. :cry:

I also want to de-rust and paint my chassis.

schakal
17-01-2009, 20:00
surely it was not sorted if the rust is creeping back this soon :roll:
take it back to whoever fooked it up and demand answers ,i would

mossyv6
17-01-2009, 21:55
Had my valvers arches repaired 3 months ago and the car is back at the bodyshop due to the rust bubbling back within 6 weeks!!!

I would take it back to the last place who did it and for them to repair it again at a very reasonable price!!

Daz.
17-01-2009, 22:16
I love all these places that FIX your rust for a few quid.

I've been on the end of it once - lesson learnt. FACT to actually fix it for GOOD will cost money and will require more than a little skim and a bit of paint - so imo unless your handly with a welder and a sheet hammer no you can't fix it yourself.

queegan
17-01-2009, 22:19
u need to replace the panel with a weld in or a rear quarter to get rid of rust filler is no good will always come back save up the doe and do proper save spending little amounts for a quick fix

schakal
17-01-2009, 22:26
I love all these places that FIX your rust for a few quid.

I've been on the end of it once - lesson learnt. FACT to actually fix it for GOOD will cost money and will require more than a little skim and a bit of paint - so imo unless your handly with a welder and a sheet hammer no you can't fix it yourself.

or you have to go there and supervise the job .
i was doing 9-5 shifts in the local body shop cutting the
rust out ,removing trim parts etc for 4 days when i had the sills
replaced on the chamade :D
jobs a good un 8) 8)

ThRaXaIR
17-01-2009, 22:27
getting them properly fiber glassed should last a couple of yrs surely?

how much does new quarters cost to get done?

16v_paddy
17-01-2009, 22:32
Mine cost me £400 each to get done, but I was having the whole side painted and colour coded as well so should cost no more than that really

katbloke
17-01-2009, 22:59
i spent 1k including bonnet and t/gate spray

bill.
17-01-2009, 23:55
i had rust come back within 3-4 days of arch repair, got the car back from the spray shop, tucked it away in the garage, pulled it out after 2 days, washed it, put it back, next day,rust bubbles appearing!

car sold within a couple of days, so wasn't my problem any more, i imagine the atches have fallen off by now :shock:

mossyv6
18-01-2009, 00:18
i had rust come back within 3-4 days of arch repair, got the car back from the spray shop, tucked it away in the garage, pulled it out after 2 days, washed it, put it back, next day,rust bubbles appearing!

I know the feeling well mate :(

Daz.
18-01-2009, 00:20

car sold within a couple of days, so wasn't my problem any more, i imagine the atches have fallen off by now :shock:

No wonder they make so much money!

queegan
18-01-2009, 13:32
Mine cost me £400 each to get done, but I was having the whole side painted and colour coded as well so should cost no more than that really

whoa that was good then i thought the quaters were 350 each

Coops
18-01-2009, 13:49
can buy 1.2 rear quarters for like 50 quid and so long as its a decent bodyshop they can be altered to fit perfectly

16v_paddy
18-01-2009, 14:19
can buy 1.2 rear quarters for like 50 quid and so long as its a decent bodyshop they can be altered to fit perfectly

Thats what the gut who done mine used, even though they were labelled as 16v items :roll: they weren't the right shape

MatrixGuy
18-01-2009, 15:58
The car has already been back once!! lol. i had to go back as rust returned after about a month. He welded in a new plate but it looks like it's just returning!!

this car is driving me nuts!

anyone know DECENT places in the northwest where you can get them done or should i just grind the fooker down myself?!

fasterthanjesus
18-01-2009, 16:06
where did you go?

i always use trident in st annes. bob on repair, not cheap, but you pays peanuts, you gets monkeys.

Daz.
18-01-2009, 16:25

Thats what the gut who done mine used, even though they were labelled as 16v items :roll: they weren't the right shape

If I'm being ultra picky when my lower spec panels were welded and adapted they did it really well until the very last bit where they should roll off into the back bumper - on mine they don't quite 'roll' properly - you'd have to have another willy next to it to even notice the difference mind - and I'd take that over rust any day of the week to be honest.

At first I was really peeved but then I thought with all the problems these cars have with rear arches how many willys and valvers must be running around on all different shapes and sized of rear arches!

I'll get a pic of what I mean when I get the car back.

Coops
18-01-2009, 17:05
ai would like to see this as i thought they could be modded fully, and if not then i'll ask for extra metal to be made up to fill it exact if and when the turbo needs some love

Daz.
18-01-2009, 17:31
only decent one I can find for now - back end looks lower due to being parked on a steep drive

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/Daz0rz/Respray/SSL10935.jpg

Daz.
18-01-2009, 17:34
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/Daz0rz/Respray/Photo-0021-1.jpg

cliorod
18-01-2009, 18:22
Daz :wink:
Is that the LUND's job ??

I have just listed in the "cars for sale" a Willy 1 ~~ No 326 :wink: :wink:
The guy selling it has a small unit in Rishton and has done the arches with steel ~~ I got mates with him through a mate of a mate :wink: 8) :shock: :wink: .
If I need any painting body work etc etc ~~ that is were mine is going from now on :lol:

Daz.
18-01-2009, 18:25
Lunds let me down really - I still need to take it over to them when I get it back from the garage - drove past today and its inside the shop so I reckon I'll get it back Tuedsday...

Daz.
18-01-2009, 22:24
Hmmm - why does the phase 1 sides not look as good in pics as it does in the flesh!

Might swapt back to the phase 2's for a bit see how that goes..

MatrixGuy
19-01-2009, 18:22
where did you go?

i always use trident in st annes. bob on repair, not cheap, but you pays peanuts, you gets monkeys.

Not heard of them mate. I used Stellers in Morecambe, i liked the guy and he seemed good, so i went with him.

MatrixGuy
19-01-2009, 18:25
**** i meant Spellers.

rob-legend
19-01-2009, 19:55
whats the worst price i'd be looking at for both arches to be repaired and two new sills from the jacking point back? (one arch has a tiny spot,where as drivers side has bubbled badly and has come through the paint now around a third of the arch and onto the beginning of the sill) cheers. i'll post a pic of the arch up in a min

16v_paddy
19-01-2009, 20:01
whats the worst price i'd be looking at for both arches to be repaired and two new sills from the jacking point back? (one arch has a tiny spot,where as drivers side has bubbled badly and has come through the paint now around a third of the arch and onto the beginning of the sill) cheers. i'll post a pic of the arch up in a min

Worst case I'd say £500 per side at a guess

I'm only going on what mine cost, was originally quoted £400 a side to weld in some new arches & spray the whole side of the car. In the end I needed a new sill on the drivers side fitted as well for which he charged me an extra £100

rob-legend
19-01-2009, 20:22

Worst case I'd say £500 per side at a guess

I'm only going on what mine cost, was originally quoted £400 a side to weld in some new arches & spray the whole side of the car. In the end I needed a new sill on the drivers side fitted as well for which he charged me an extra £100

cheers, yeah thats why i'm asking so i can gauge roughly what t pay based on what everyone else has.

here's a pic of the worst arch, it has bubble alot more now around the top of the arch though :(

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm6/rob-legend/17062008196.jpg

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm6/rob-legend/17062008197.jpg

MatrixGuy
19-01-2009, 21:43
Hang on, the bodyshop i used welded in new metal, so surely it shouldn't be rusting back already?

should i just buy a new rear arch from Renault?! lol.

16v_paddy
19-01-2009, 22:12
Hang on, the bodyshop i used welded in new metal, so surely it shouldn't be rusting back already?

£385 + vat last time I asked, so I'd say no don't bother with stealers :lol: that's for the whole rear quarter as well, you'll only need a little bit of it to weld in. Are you sure they welded new metal in? Did you see them do it? Could they have just fillered it & charged you for welding?

Daz.
19-01-2009, 22:15
they either lied or only did what they could see and didn't bother looking at where the two join.

MatrixGuy
19-01-2009, 22:45

£385 + vat last time I asked, so I'd say no don't bother with stealers :lol: that's for the whole rear quarter as well, you'll only need a little bit of it to weld in. Are you sure they welded new metal in? Did you see them do it? Could they have just fillered it & charged you for welding?

No, i didn't see him do it, but he seemed a top guy.

Any way of telling of they did?

16v_paddy
19-01-2009, 22:52
I don't know tbh :? suppose you might be able to tell by sanding it all back or using a magnet or something

Daz.
20-01-2009, 07:37

Thats why they can get away with it - whos going to ruin what they spent £££ on to see if its actually been done!

Anyone who doesn't offer warranty on their work shouldn't be touched - also anyone who says ooooo you can never get rid of it once its there should be shot too...

MatrixGuy
20-01-2009, 17:39

Thats why they can get away with it - whos going to ruin what they spent £££ on to see if its actually been done!

Anyone who doesn't offer warranty on their work shouldn't be touched - also anyone who says ooooo you can never get rid of it once its there should be shot too...

lol, your right mate.

think i will be going elsewhere this time.

asfb2005
20-01-2009, 17:59
Can check by taking the rear quarter interior plastic off and looking at the arch, should be able to see where its been cut and welded.

MatrixGuy
20-01-2009, 18:47
I forgot to say there isn't rust on the actual panel (no bubbles), its on the lip, on the inside,

col
20-01-2009, 19:33
sounds like theyve filled it, on the lip its difficult to fill cause you cant tap the metal back to skim over.

Unless theres been some reaction to the paint etc,... :?

lewis_willy2
20-01-2009, 22:52
can people post up before during and after pics of there arches to be done. my williams is going in 2mro for cut and and re-welded arches :D

MatrixGuy
20-01-2009, 23:21
can people post up before during and after pics of there arches to be done. my williams is going in 2mro for cut and and re-welded arches :D

i forgot to take some, typical!

Where you having them done pal... so if they do a good job i'll go there, lol.

lewis_willy2
20-01-2009, 23:37
its a good friend of mine doing them, hes shit hot, hopefully be done by the weekend

then im gna get the priming done :cry:

andreas395
21-01-2009, 20:31
its a good friend of mine doing them, hes s**t hot, hopefully be done by the weekend

then im gna get the priming done :cry:

can he do mine the future if he does a good job :wink:

lewis_willy2
21-01-2009, 21:08
he certainly can, will get pics of mine and a price

hes gna be very well priced

rob-legend
21-01-2009, 22:14
where's he/you based? :D

lewis_willy2
21-01-2009, 23:41
ashford in kent