PDA

View Full Version : Bent Coilovers ( fk ) :(

jay s
15-01-2009, 13:36
ive had my fk konigsport for about 3 years now and up untill a week ago i thought they were perfect. i recently started to have some turning/steering issues, ie hearing some nasty knocks and bangs when turning hard so took the wheels of to have a look if anything was ****ed. while looking around i noticed that the shock looked like it was sitting at a funny angle, closer inspection reveled the shock to be majorly bent at the point it mounts to the hub :shock: other side has started to bend aswell :? . now the first thing you would think is that the car has been in an accident or hit a hugh curb but i hav'nt even gone near any curbs/ potholes/ accidents and have only been doing normal road driving. they have only bent in the last few 2 months as i had them off to change top mounts and they were fine then. any body else had any experiance of this? im getting a set of ledas now so hopefully they will be up to the job but for the mean time im in body roll heaven ie std suspension with lowering springs ( im not impressed with these lol ). anyway some pics:

my ****ed fk's:
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/jay16v-/bentcoilovers006Large.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/jay16v-/bentcoilovers003.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/jay16v-/bentcoilovers004.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/jay16v-/bentcoilovers005.jpg

My new ones :D
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/jay16v-/P1010537.jpg

16v_paddy
15-01-2009, 17:01
OOOOOOOHHHHHHH shiny new coilovers :droool:

richy
15-01-2009, 19:33
hammer them straight, be fine then lol :lol:

JOKE!

thats shocking tbh

MAXIBOY
15-01-2009, 19:40
i would then weld a plate on too make them as thick as the leda's.. :D

Coops
15-01-2009, 22:21
fookin ell

am pullin out of fk group buy fo shizz now! are they willy ones? my current ones are valver so those flanges will be shorter so hopefully wont bend like that, either way tho thats piss poor

jay s
16-01-2009, 20:35
yep mate willy versions :(

BRUN
17-01-2009, 14:55
wont be buying anything FK in future then, thats shite

mark
18-01-2009, 21:07
you wont have a problem with the leda's mate. I run them and have had nothing but quality handling and comfort!! :D

That is on my 172 cup though, my williams is still standard in that dept!!

Mark One
18-01-2009, 21:51
How much did you pay for those drop dead gorgeous Leda coilovers???!
...if you don't mind me asking :)

Also Check your wishbone/ball joint combination for excessive play. If it's moving too much then that could be putting extra stress on the shock. are your wishbones polybushed?

number1
18-01-2009, 22:24
Been Braking hard? lol honestly thats bad tho! shouldnt do that, good job you noticed!

MAXIBOY
18-01-2009, 23:58
they dont sell a kit as such you need to make it and for that it shows you need:

2x S2 , 2.5" strut @ £350.each ( £700 )
2x D1 , Adjustable damping damper @ £165.each ( £330 )
2x Eibach coil spring @ £65 each ( £130 )
add some vat @ 15%
= £1334

nicked from jays post on another forum

Mark One
19-01-2009, 00:00
^I'm the O/P on that thread :lol: ^

MAXIBOY
19-01-2009, 00:05
yes fronts are wrong though iirc

there coilovers at 250...

jay s
19-01-2009, 02:09
Mark one: getting the ledas for a good price :D ( nothing like they are new :lol: ). balljoint is tight on wishbones as that was changed recently aswell. the car is polybushed but i can't see that causing the shocks to bend, or could it? :?

Number1: yeah very lucky i noticed it as could of been nasty if they snapped while driving :shock:

Maxiboy: im just going by what it says on the list plus when i phoned up on friday they told me it will be £1200 for shock alone :shock:

Anyway ive e-mailed fk with pics of the coilovers and am waiting to hear what they have to say about it, i'll let you know how it gets on :D

jay s
20-01-2009, 01:38
Got some very good news, just got this e-mail :D

Hi Germain,

thanks for your mail.

Thats a problem we used to have with the Clio Coils. We had the problem that the material of the brackets were to thin so they bent like in your case. We have solved that with thicker brackets.

What we can do is to sent you new ones out. But we need the original Invoice for those. If you can send me the Invoice in a mail aswell as your full post adress we can do sth for you.

Regards

Tim

So off goes my invoice and address and hopefully i'll have a brand new set of revised fk's. btw if all goes well i think thats excellent customer service as i thought they were gonna tell me to **** off :D

16v_paddy
20-01-2009, 01:54
That's good to hear 8)

I think we should get a thread up to recognise what companies have given us really good customer service, Powerflex have been very good as well :wink:

rob-legend
20-01-2009, 19:45
that's awesome,it's shows it's good to make your voice heard sometimes.

personally i thought avo were really helpful when i bought my coilovers, really sound and quick service. 8)

richy
20-01-2009, 19:53
that's awesome,it's shows it's good to make your voice heard sometimes.

personally i thought avo were really helpful when i bought my coilovers, really sound and quick service. 8)

same tbh mate, one of mine started leaking(had them 2year) and rang them up, they told me to send it to them with a cover note, i sent both front units and they rebuilt both F.O.C and posted them bk, so only cost i had was to send them to them! took just under a week turnaround!

stew
20-01-2009, 21:31
good to hear jay.

i also had the same with avo, first o/s/f, then n/s/f. no problems what so ever since. :D

jay s
23-02-2009, 20:12
right an update. first off i did'nt end up buying the leda's as the deal fell through but im happy with that :D after my email from fk i thought i would of got a new set of replacement coilovers sent out pretty quick, well weeks went by and i did'nt hear anything so at the begining of feb i got on the phone to germany to see what was happening. it turns out the fella who was dealing with my case has been off sick for a few weeks and not much had happened :roll: the person on the phone said send the emails again which i did, then a few days later got a email from fk saying my new units have been sent to venom motorsport. all good i thought, that is untill venom phoned me and said my new coilover cases have arrived :shock: basicly they have sent my new stanless steel threaded units and i have to use my old dampers ( i always thought they were sealed untill now :roll: ) and springs etc. i had massive amounts of hassel getting the shocks out the old units as the top was rusted solid so had to be cut off in the end.
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/jay16v-/2009_0221Image0035.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/jay16v-/2009_0223Image0037.jpg

Coops
23-02-2009, 21:02
take it your keeping them then :wink: :lol:

jay s
23-02-2009, 21:13
oh yeah forgot to mention to you and a few others that were interested, i'll be keeping them now :oops: :D

geesus
24-02-2009, 10:14
i am going to keep an eye on mine as they look like the thinner brackets :(

Justin..
14-03-2009, 20:02
looked at my Gaz ones today, they seemed to have started doing the same :( as original post, no where near as bad yet tho