PDA

View Full Version : Some things to sort out

robi1000
12-01-2009, 14:41
I've finally had a run in my willy after a year and a half!!! WHAT A FEELING!!!!!!!!! I was smiling all the time like an idiot. :D I guess a lot of you know this feeling waaay too well... :lol:

Now I've got a few things to sort out:

Rev counter

It usually works fine, but I noticed that from time to time it stops working and shows nothing.

Oil temp gauge

It's not working. How can I check if sensor is knackered? Are there any voltage/resistance/whatever value range where sensor output should be?

Strange steering feel

This is the thing that is the most annoying of the lot. Car is swerving left and right wildly under hard acceleration. Also when going into a turn you apply some steering and then it's (hmmm how to describe this) like being on ice and you have to apply a bit more lock and then when you go straight steering wheel is not in centre position anymore. If it was right turn it stays shifted a bit in the right and if it was left it's shifted in left. I guess it's not play in the steering rack because if you're gentle wheels move even after smallest input on the steering wheel. It's just when wheels are under heavy load (accelerating hard, braking, fast turn in). Rings any bells? Sorry this is best description I can muster with my vocabulary. :) :oops:

white16valver
12-01-2009, 14:59
Steering issues are usually steering column joint (get underneath the dash and pull back the rubber cover to check, I believe), tie/track rods (feel for play where they meet the steering rack) or it could be tyre pressures, wheel bearings(?), dodgy tyres... lol

robi1000
12-01-2009, 15:07
Tyres and tyre pressure is out because meanwhile I changed rims with different tyres on.

Wobba
12-01-2009, 15:11
Temp guage could just be the wiring has come loose to the sensor, located at the back of the block near the starter motor. They can come loose, can be a pain to get too :(

The handling isssue is the same that I had. Torque steer sort of, with vague straight ahead and inconsitent on bumps or under acceleration. I have just replaced my struts all round with new AVO's and the problem has gone, the understeery/oversteery feeling has gone almost completely. I had the problem you mentioned even with a new steering column, new wishbones, new uprated ARB bushes, new track rods and new track rod ends as well. It must have been the shocks which were just too harsh and perhaps a bit too low.

MAXIBOY
12-01-2009, 15:34
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e15/123maxiboy/415d66f1.jpg

steering column welded..

robi1000
12-01-2009, 16:11
If there's play in a steering column. Do wheels turn on slightest input. Or is this usual play where there is some deadzone?

white16valver
12-01-2009, 16:20
There's usually play around the centre when the track/tie rods or the column needs fixing, yes, which means yours might not be that!

Could it be worn bushes giving a sloppy feeling to the steering? (wishbone perhaps?)

white16valver
12-01-2009, 16:20
Or could it be balljoints??

cliokiz
13-01-2009, 11:43
Temp guage could just be the wiring has come loose to the sensor, located at the back of the block near the starter motor. They can come loose, can be a pain to get too :(

IIRC the sensor on the back of the block is just the oil pressure.

The sensor on the front of the block next to where the dipstick enters the bottom end is both the oil level and oil temp sensor i think. This is what you'll need to check.

Wobba
14-01-2009, 14:52

IIRC the sensor on the back of the block is just the oil pressure.

The sensor on the front of the block next to where the dipstick enters the bottom end is both the oil level and oil temp sensor i think. This is what you'll need to check.

Oh yea doh! Yea the one at the front near the oil filter is oil temp.

robi1000
14-01-2009, 15:24
Hmmm, could it be only "half-knackered"? :lol: Because I think it shows oil level on startup, but no temperature reading? If this is the case what is next? Clocks?

volymmannen
14-01-2009, 17:34
the electronic oillevel meter also shows oiltemp. the oillevel only shows while on ignition, it " dies" after start but preasure and temp works if they are ok...

volymmannen
14-01-2009, 17:36
i think the sensor is broken, measure the sensor,3 wires earth,level,temp.

robi1000
14-01-2009, 22:55
I know it shows level only on startup but I don't know if oil temp and level have different outputs so a wire only for oil level could be the cause?