PDA

View Full Version : Failed MOT - Mirror size

Ullevimay83
12-01-2009, 13:59
Can anyone tell me how large a wing mirror has to be in order to pass a MOT?
A friend has a track prepared 205 that he wants to make road legal and the local MOT centre has failed the car saying the wing mirror is too small.
I would have thought that as long as you can see along side your car and behind then you would be ok.

Any ideas :?:

white16valver
12-01-2009, 16:04
Have you checked the online website? Is it VOSA?

Ullevimay83
12-01-2009, 18:09
All I could find on the net was the following quote

"an exterior mirror fitted to the offside (right-hand side when seated in the
drivers seat)"

and the possible reasons for failure being:

a. missing or insecure

b. so damaged or deteriorated that the view to the rear is seriously impaired

c. does not provide a view to the rear of the vehicle

d. not clearly visible from the drivers seat, or incapable of being adjusted to be clearly visible from the drivers seat.

Now having seen the car I can confirm that it is a)there, b)not damaged, c)it's a mirror - of course you can see behind you d)can be adjusted.

The mirror is small (like a bike mirror) but is this illeagal?

Regards
Steve

bendee
12-01-2009, 18:21
probly a twat of a mot tester theres a few about as my mate found out with his williams failing 3 times at same place and they kept finding something else and charging him lol. take it somewhere else? or show him what youve found.

geesus
12-01-2009, 18:26
if this is true i am screwed! lmao

col
12-01-2009, 19:40
Id take em off as long as youve got a rear view mirror you cant fail..............bunch of mot tossers :evil:

MatBrown
12-01-2009, 22:10
Id take em off as long as youve got a rear view mirror you cant fail..............bunch of mot tossers :evil:

I was under the impression you needed two mirrors to pass an mot, one of which must be the drivers side mirror.
Vans don't have rear view mirrors!

Mat.

col
12-01-2009, 23:01
Hi mat, ye i agree if its a van but with a car im certain you only need a rear view mirror .I had ajeep an it passed with just int mirror.

MatBrown
12-01-2009, 23:04
http://www.autowirez.co.uk/blog/diy-pre-mot-vehicle-inspection-check-list/

6. Mirrors
Check rear view mirror and at least one door or wing mirror are both secure. You must have at least two rear view mirrors fitted to your vehicle - one inside and one outside.

Mat.

Ullevimay83
13-01-2009, 12:49
Thanks for the replies folks - my mate will take his car to another test station and see what they say once the twin Webbers have been tuned in order to sort out the CO2 problem. :lol:

16v_paddy
13-01-2009, 12:58
http://www.autowirez.co.uk/blog/diy-pre-mot-vehicle-inspection-check-list/

6. Mirrors
Check rear view mirror and at least one door or wing mirror are both secure. You must have at least two rear view mirrors fitted to your vehicle - one inside and one outside.

Mat.

So what about mk1 fiestas? They only have 1 wing mirror

16v_paddy
13-01-2009, 12:59
:oops: sorry, didn't read it properly :oops:

col
13-01-2009, 19:06
he he my E type didnt have any wing mirrors ,shows you how things have changed over the years. :lol:

Ullevimay83
14-01-2009, 18:49
Well you were right - my mate took the car to a different garage and it now has a MOT.

Guess it is time to finally find out just how quick his stripped out 1.9 GTI really is compared to the williams 3 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: