PDA

View Full Version : AVO top adjustment point sheared off.

Wobba
11-01-2009, 16:30
I have just finisned sitting the last AVO and have redone my brakes (shit weather as usual) and as I was tightening the very last thing, the top mount for the strut, it caused the allen key adjuster to shear in half, now I cant adjust it at all.

Am I fuked?

Not ****ing happy :(

richy
11-01-2009, 16:44
are they new mate, if so get in touch with avo and they will change it for free usually(warrenty)

never had that problem tho myself and had mine 2 years

Justin..
11-01-2009, 16:58
Shite :( Get on the phone mate! Hopefully they'll change it, or fix it

Wobba
11-01-2009, 17:00
Always the sodding way, nothing is ever simple is it? I am tired and pissed right now.

Justin..
11-01-2009, 17:01
shame its sunday, else i'd say get drunk lol

Wobba
11-01-2009, 17:35
Car does not brake straight now, feels a bit jelly like at the front on one side :(

Justin..
11-01-2009, 17:36
sett them both the same, you'll have to make the other one wich aint broke the same setting

Wobba
11-01-2009, 17:50
sett them both the same, you'll have to make the other one wich aint broke the same setting

Thing is I have changed front and rear pads as well and I dont know if it is the suspension or not, it's locking up on one side and would happily spin if I let it.

Wobba
11-01-2009, 18:18
Well I have sent an email to AVO, but I am not sure if this is my fault or a design flaw. I was hand tightening the top strut points and I am pretty sure this is when they shreaed the adjuster point somehow...

Lunner
11-01-2009, 21:08
I'd say the pads are sticking on something, did you clean up the parts of the caliper that the pads slide along, and are the pads in straight, not wedged in at an angle?

Wobba
12-01-2009, 00:55
I'd say the pads are sticking on something, did you clean up the parts of the caliper that the pads slide along, and are the pads in straight, not wedged in at an angle?

I noticed yesterday that one of the pads was at a slight angle, but for the life of me could not see why, after I had done everything up. No bolts were loose.

I have set the working AVO adjuster to minimum damping and now the brakes seem fine, no pulling. They are spongy, which is probably because they need bleeding (next job after I sort this AVO out), and I will do that next pay day when I sort these braided hoses (que next whine/cock-up thread about stuck brake line nuts) for front and rear.

So now, the car is set at setting 6 at the rear. They are miles better than the ones I had before. Plus the fronts, although one is damaged, and both being set to minimum damping, give miles more grip. I have raised the front about 5mm over the last set of coilies and they dont crash about or scrub the inner arch now, and give a more forgiving ride and more feedback/less understeer.

So, the AVO's are ****ing good I am just pissed I will have to take it apart AGAIN to get the strut sorted :(

Wobba
12-01-2009, 11:14
Nigel from AVO has responded and said they will sort it out if I cans ship the unit over to them.

I have to say these coilies are very nice so far! Setting them softer on the front seems to give more grip especially in this weather. The rears are pretty firm but seem to help control understeer much more than before fitting.

2 live
12-01-2009, 17:37
its all in ur mind mate......the williams std susp is a load better.....

if u listen to the ppl on here that havent tried coilies that is ;)

id much prefer to be driving the avo'd willy than the std set up 1 tbh.

Wobba
13-01-2009, 10:28
its all in ur mind mate......the williams std susp is a load better.....

if u listen to the ppl on here that havent tried coilies that is ;)

id much prefer to be driving the avo'd willy than the std set up 1 tbh.

even set as they are with no experimentation they are awesome, plus when fixed I can play with settings to my hearts content!

Mark One
15-01-2009, 23:15
would anyone recommend AVO over FK konigsports?

Mark One
15-01-2009, 23:17
and which avo kit have you got and where did you get em :)

CHeers

Daz.
16-01-2009, 07:56
Hmm!

this year is renew suspension year..

why was 2008 make willy standard year and 2009 seems to have started MOD WILLY YEAR! :lol:

Polys all round and coilies... erk what am I thinking! :D

midge
16-01-2009, 14:54
lol Daz, im going to be ordering pollies very soon, going to renew the whole suspension setup.

Where did you get the avos from and how much?

Wobba
16-01-2009, 16:05
I actually got them off here from another member :)

If you look in the group buys section however, you will find an old AVO thread, they may still be honouring the group buy discount, I know they did will people not that long ago, and they will be even cheaper now VAT is down.

The AVO's remain very nice. Suspension wise, my entire front end is new, and its going very well indeed now. I love OE, but its a little too rolly-polly for me and sat so high is gay. I didn't just love the Williams for its performance but its looks, and sat a bit lower without any of the usual lowering problems (arches rubbing, too harsh etc) it kicks ass.