PDA

View Full Version : Long journeys with Williams (what can go wrong)

robi1000
05-01-2009, 23:24
Hi!

Me and my GF are thinking about coming to UK in the summer with my Williams. I know few of you went to Nurburgring a few times, so I'd like to know what went wrong (and I know something did! :lol: )?

FATBOY
05-01-2009, 23:27
make sure you meet up with a few of us!

robi1000
05-01-2009, 23:29
make sure you meet up with a few of us!

That would be great!

number1
05-01-2009, 23:41
If you come down this way, say hi mate, pm me or something beforehand and ill give you my number,
Think at the end of the day a good checkover with service and Recovery is all you can do, plus keeping in touch with all us lot that are all over the uk might help you if you get stuck for bits etc, just dont ask us for any steering racks!
Im hoping to go to italy in mine one day, Via the nurburgring then back up the Stelvio pass :D will be taking a few spares and eu breakdown cover,
Tho you wont really need to be recovered to your home country, just one of the forum users adress's and then we'll fix you up! lol

Dave

robi1000
06-01-2009, 00:01
LOL! My steering rack is fine (probably the only thing on my car that hasn't broken down - yet) :D

When I'm in UK I'm in "safezone". For us EU guys, UK is Williams parts heaven! So I'm definetly returning with my boot full of goodies! Shame your steering wheel is on the wrong side... :P 8)

richy
06-01-2009, 00:07
well 4 clios set off for nurburgring mine included and only 2 made it back under there own power!

coop's turbo blew its gearbox just after we entered germany!!

and bayliss's hybrid had alternator then battery issues, basicly the alt came loose damaging the internals so it stopped charging and the battery eventually gave up, also iirc a pas pipe snapped/cracked and leaked out, i towed him to the docks from brussels practically lol :lol:

arj256
06-01-2009, 00:33
I have done plenty of long journeys in my Williams.
Done 3 Europe trips, and recently did 1000mile Wales drive.
Just make sure shes tip top on the service front, and you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
I did have an issue over in Europe one time. When my alternator decided to fail after very heavy rain which might of been coincidental or not. Not a lot could really be done about that.

Daz.
06-01-2009, 07:47
keep a clutch cable in the boot :lol:

robi1000
06-01-2009, 11:37
So far my boot is filled with spare alternator and clutch cable. :lol:

schakal
06-01-2009, 11:48

that is of no use if you are not wearing lace up shoes though :wink:

LEIGH-ANNE
06-01-2009, 12:13
As said before mate. Give us a shout too :D

robi1000
06-01-2009, 13:27
Ok so a spare set of laces will also find their way in the boot... :lol:

G33R7
06-01-2009, 14:23
my down pipe snapped off while going 230 km/u on the german autobahn returning from the ring.

Wobba
06-01-2009, 14:40
Anywhere I go nowadays, all I do is sit there watching the oil and engine temperature.

Daz.
06-01-2009, 18:03

that is of no use if you are not wearing lace up shoes though :wink:

ok then make sure you bring a pair of sandals too :D

2 live
06-01-2009, 19:22
acc cable always comes in handy. and cable ties ;)

mine did an almost flat out yorks/liege/spa/yorks run with no trouble whatsoever.....apart from playing with the police t5 lol. ooooooooops

white16valver
06-01-2009, 20:59
Someone I know ;) has done Staffordshire to Essex, 200 miles, in 2:15 - they like it hard :twisted: :P

Just make sure you give it a quick service before you set off and make sure you have all the quick and simple things which will be easy to change if they go, and you should be fine :)

I would recommend taking a tool kit, a trolley jack and a couple of axle stands though, just in case... LoL :lol:

Have international breakdown cover set up, and also make sure your insurance covers international travel!

Oh, and make sure you take all the crap you need for different countries and knw all the regulations!
http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/atoz.html

And you might need an International Driving Permit?? I've never heard of it before though...
http://www.aboutdrivingabroad.co.uk/international-driving-permit-driving-abroad.html
http://www.thesite.org/travelandfreetime/travel/gettingthere/drivingabroad

2 live
06-01-2009, 21:21
Someone I know ;) has done Staffordshire to Essex, 200 miles, in 2:15 - they like it hard :twisted: :P

Just make sure you give it a quick service before you set off and make sure you have all the quick and simple things which will be easy to change if they go, and you should be fine :)

I would recommend taking a tool kit, a trolley jack and a couple of axle stands though, just in case... LoL :lol:

Have international breakdown cover set up, and also make sure your insurance covers international travel!

Oh, and make sure you take all the crap you need for different countries and knw all the regulations!

And you might need an International Driving Permit?? I've never heard of it before though...
http://www.aboutdrivingabroad.co.uk/international-driving-permit-driving-abroad.html

lol.....i know 2 ppl that have done yorks/donnington in 1.30 ..... :twisted:

number1
06-01-2009, 23:01
Cable ties FTW i snapped the little plastic thing off my accelerator cable miles away from home after an enraged moment, managed to fix it with the only 2 cable ties my friend had in her car, lucky!
Would definatley keep one of each (throttle + Clutch) cable in the car,
Also another consideration is a good supply of spare bulbs, jubilee clips, water, oil, Brake Fluid. Electrical tape can be used on coolant hoses as a temporary fix, also a bottle of Stop leak in case your rad Starts to leak, can of Tyreweld AND a spare wheel and tyre
If your going around the ring on your way, might be worth taking a spare set of brake pads too,

Dave

LEIGH-ANNE
07-01-2009, 18:22

lol.....i know 2 ppl that have done yorks/donnington in 1.30 ..... :twisted:

Tut tut....

Sounds like a challenge lol :roll: :wink: :shock: :twisted:

antony
08-01-2009, 20:01
Anywhere I go nowadays, all I do is sit there watching the oil and engine temperature.snap :D

2 live
08-01-2009, 20:32
mine runs at normal temps all day without fan, only wen stuck in traffic does it rise

dont really keep an eye on owt tbh, except the road.

Duli
09-01-2009, 20:00
Hi!

Me and my GF are thinking about coming to UK in the summer with my Williams. I know few of you went to Nurburgring a few times, so I'd like to know what went wrong (and I know something did! :lol: )?

robi, i might join you with my valver, if the time will be right if that`s ok with you. ;)

robi1000
10-01-2009, 01:01
Duli, that would be nice! :D

16v_paddy
10-01-2009, 02:01
I think we should have a welcoming committee at dover for you guys or something 8)

harvythehippo
10-01-2009, 05:54
'Cable ties is very good in my books i snapped the little plastic thing off my accelerator cable miles away from home after an enraged moment, managed to fix it with the only 2 cable ties my friend had in her car, lucky! '

i did this too, tho i was on back roads again miles from anywhere. fortunalty my car is stripped to no dash, so i bent down into the footwell and pulled on the cable with my hands. and my brother did the steering from the passenger seat! till we got to a pub and i asked for some string! :D

16v_paddy
10-01-2009, 05:58
Jesus christ harvey :shock: and I thought I was nuts lol :lol:

harvythehippo
10-01-2009, 06:07
lol, believe you me that is one of my more sane exploits :D

oh and paddy...... go to bed :D

16v_paddy
10-01-2009, 06:13
I would do but I've still got an hour of "work" left to do :(

harvythehippo
10-01-2009, 06:15
aww, sucks! i'm playing with meggy wiring loom! :D

16v_paddy
10-01-2009, 06:17
:shock:

2 live
10-01-2009, 12:33
'Cable ties is very good in my books i snapped the little plastic thing off my accelerator cable miles away from home after an enraged moment, managed to fix it with the only 2 cable ties my friend had in her car, lucky! '

i did this too, tho i was on back roads again miles from anywhere. fortunalty my car is stripped to no dash, so i bent down into the footwell and pulled on the cable with my hands. and my brother did the steering from the passenger seat! till we got to a pub and i asked for some string! :D

lol..i remember a certain mr mandy having to operate the throttle out the pass window with a mini choke cable....wen i had mine remapped at re, the car was on the rollers that long, it melted the inner plastic to the cable on the acc cable......set rock solid. so we rigged the choke cable up, mandy giving me throttle......and nowhere near enough of it.....while i did the rest. was an experience driving thru rochdale n bury at rush hour lol.